General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Weight Can It Carry?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:11 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Weight Can It Carry?

Stock suspension and frame on a 1997 Dyna Wide Glide - What kind of weight can I safely carry going 2-up? Notice I'm just saying total weight. I'm a big guy and she's............ much smaller. What's a safe TOTAL weight?
Thanks.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How Much Weight Can It Carry?

I don't know the answer off hand but if you Google Harley Davidson they give all the specs on the different models. Whatever the specs are for todays models I would guess would be pretty close to right on for your 97.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Stogie
Cruiser

Whatever the bike specs say, don't forget to check the load capacity of your tires....
I just replaced mine and I was suprised by the load specs of different tires, even among different sizes by the same manufacturer.
Stogie

Old 05-21-2007, 03:42 PM
bagger al
Intermediate

Have a friend with a 94 DWG. Has over 240,000 miles on his scoot. Has ridden two up probably 99% of the time. Never a problem.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

Unless it's been removed, your bike's frame might have a sticker that lists the GVWR.
The weight listed in GVWR is the max weight recommended for your bike (including the weight of the bike).
So, for example, if your GVWR on the sticker is 1200lbs and the bike weighs 700lbs WET, that leaves you 500lbs for passenger/driver/gear/accessories/luggage/etc.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been a concern of mine as well, with my Fatboy. Mainly because I weigh 375 myself...and it worries me that if I ride 2-up with someone who has much weight to them at all (over the size of a kid), that I can cause some damage. That could suck.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

Good answers. I'll check on the frame and the tires. Appreciate it.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:25 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While it is best to stick within the manufactures guidelines, just remember that thankfully the engineers who design this stuff build in a safty margin for f#(£wits like me who push it a little bit. It would not be unreasonable if they allowed say 10% more than they certifyequipment for and in reality to cause any real problems, probably double that margin.

I'm not an engineer, but common sense dictates that if I were an engineer I would design a product, test it to destruction, and when I found the lowest point of failure I would certify it to operate at 80% capacity.

I bet there are engineers on here who could chip in, and I for one would be very interested in their comments.

IMHO the biggest restriction is the load capacity of the tyres, them I wouldnt mess with at all. (well maybe only a little bit)

WB

Old 05-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Unless you're carry gold ingots, you'll probably run outta space to stack, hang, or carry things...Long before you've gotten to the point that it's gonna be detrimental to the bike.

I'd worry more about bottoming out the suspension (especially if you're packing some pounds), tire load and pressure, and moving the COG (center of gravity) to a 'scary' point. Loading a bunch of weight onto a luggage rack, or ontop of a tourpack will have an affect on the handling of the bike. Keep the weight low on the bike.

And to answer your original Q: A lot. A whole lot. I've stretched the load capacity of my 93 FLHS on numerous occassions. Just be aware of the above.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It can carry a lot more than the posted weight even,you just have to be a little more cautious.I new a guy that weighed quite a bit over 350 lbs,and rode the his Wide Glide like it was a dirt bike.

Quick Reply: How Much Weight Can It Carry?