General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Rogillio
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Battery tender

I bought a battery tender trickle charger for my Super Glide. I was using it for a couple of weeks and decided it really wasn't buying me anything. So I quit using it. Two weeks later and the battery won't start the bike.

Couple of questions

1. Why the heck does the battery lose enough charge that it won't start the bike after only 2 weeks? If my truck did that I'd take it back to Ford and tell them to fix it.

2. I also have a Suzuki and it seems to hold a charge. Is the battery drain a HD thing or does the battery in my HD just need to be replaced?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:20 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,254 Likes on 8,518 Posts

How old is the battery?
Do you have a security system?
Did the green light on the tender come on?
Do you have a volt meter? If not buy one and test battery after it is fully charged. There are numerous threads on the forum that tells how to test battery and charging system.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:35 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

I am a firm believer in battery tenders.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:49 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

The AGM batteries in the HD line like a full charge and my owners manual for my 2013 recommends a smart tender connected to the bike when it's in the garage/car port/ home. Short trips on an AGM will give a surface charge, do a 100 mile/ 50 mile ride and give it a "deep" charge. Age and heat is also a bad thing for the battery. Nominal voltage of a battery at rest is 12.8V, that is fully charged. Just take a few moments to read up on the battery in your owners manual. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:03 PM
Rogillio
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 71on72
How old is the battery?idk. Bike is 3 years old. I've had it about 3 months
Do you have a security system? no
Did the green light on the tender come on?it charges g
Fine. I ride about an hour on Sat

Do you have a volt meter? If not buy one and test battery after it is fully charged. yes I have one but have not checked it. There are numerous threads on the forum that tells how to test battery and charging system.
Answers above in red...I think.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Rogillio
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The AGM batteries in the HD line like a full charge and my owners manual for my 2013 recommends a smart tender connected to the bike when it's in the garage/car port/ home. Short trips on an AGM will give a surface charge, do a 100 mile/ 50 mile ride and give it a "deep" charge. Age and heat is also a bad thing for the battery. Nominal voltage of a battery at rest is 12.8V, that is fully charged. Just take a few moments to read up on the battery in your owners manual. Good luck.

About how much is a new battery? Might just get a new one.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

Originally Posted by Rogillio
I bought a battery tender trickle charger... I was using it for a couple of weeks and decided it really wasn't buying me anything...
I guess you found out what it wasn't buying you... a new battery.

Trickle chargers and battery tenders are not the same. We had trickle chargers in the 80's. We have battery tenders now.

A trickle charger will constantly apply a charge to the battery regardless of the current state of the battery. It must be monitored and removed to prevent overcharging the battery. A battery tender monitors the battery and charges only when the battery voltage has dropped below a certain point. You don't have to monitor the battery tender. This prevents overcharging and damage to the battery. A battery tender can be left attached to the battery at all times. When it senses the voltage has dropped, for whatever reason, it will resume charging.

Originally Posted by Rogillio
About how much is a new battery? Might just get a new one.
An AGM battery ranges from $90 - $120 on average.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
I am a firm believer in battery tenders.
After my first bikes battery bit the dust after 18 months, I keep the one on this bike hooked up all of the time.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,254 Likes on 8,518 Posts

I've had batteries go bad in 3 year old bikes. The problem is their made in Japan an filled with acid that starts the battery life. They sit in a warehouse in Japan. Shipped to US where they sit in another warehouse. Then installed in motorcycle that can sit longer. So a battery in a 3 year old motorcycle can actually be 5 years old. I found this true in my HD Sportster and Husqvarna.
Follow this procedure using your voltmeter before you do anything
Yuasa Batteries - FAQ's
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.php?action=1&id=30

Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Rogillio
Cruiser

Got it. Thanks. Will get a new battery tomorrow and keep the tender on during the week when I'm not riding.

Thanks all!

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (07-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Battery tender