General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ride, The Wreck, The Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default The Ride, The Wreck, The Report

I have struggled whether to write this ride report or not. I personally have an aversion to hearing about others' injuries on a motorcycle. Maybe it reminds me of my own mortality. I have only told a couple of members of the forum so far about my accident.

I've decided to do the ride report in 3 sections:
1) The ride and wreck
2) The injuries
3) Looking forward and pertinent information
Feel free to read the sections that hold your interest and skip what doesn't.

I have little patience for Monday morning quarterbacks. I have 45 years in a motorcycle saddle riding all over the country. If this can happen to me, I believe it can happen to anyone. If your post is to tell me to take an MSF Course or how I could/should have done something differently, you better post your riding resume first so I know you have more experience with riding or crashing than I do.

My passion is long distance motorcycle riding. I love long miles by myself. Many years ago I completed my first Iron Butt ride, just to prove I could. What I learned was as soon as that ride was done I was already planning another, and so it has been all these years.

Over the last year I had planned to complete the Coast-to-Coast-to-Coast 100 (CCC100). Simple and straight forward. Jacksonville FL to San Diego CA back to Jacksonville FL in less than 100 hours. I planned every fuel stop, the motels, timing etc. Plan was to ride 18 hours then have 6 hours down time, then repeat 3 more times.

May 8 I collected my bottle of Atlantic Ocean water and sand, filled up the bike and took off for Junction TX. Junction is exactly half way across the country and a planned 18 hours away. Almost exactly on time I arrived in Junction and checked into the Motel 6 (seriously nicest motel I've been in awhile) and went to bed. Technically I had completed a Saddle Sore 1,000 but wouldn't be claiming another one (I have several). 6 hours later (morning of May 9) I was back on the bike headed for San Diego. By mid-morning I also had enough miles to claim a Bun Burner ride (1,500 miles < 36 hours but wouldn't be claiming it either, been there, done that.... I had a bigger fish to fry.) 18 hours later I rolled into San Diego and checked into a motel in Loma Linda.

The last section of the San Diego leg had been rough. Coming through the mountains outside of El Centro heading to San Diego the weather turned cold, very cold and the wind was absolutely howling through the passes. When I called my wife that evening I updated her on the trip and told her about the last leg. I described it as “treacherous”. That was unusual because I never say negative stuff during a run, especially to my wife. I grabbed a warm shower and went to bed. I had just qualified for the CC50. Technically I made it coast to coast in just over 42 hours. But again,wouldn't be submitting that ride as I pursued the big goal.

May 10 I jumped out of bed to head home. Got my Pacific Ocean water and sand and headed east. I ran east about an hour and stopped at what I believed was the point I headed down the the eastern slope and hit the “I'm Fine” button on my Spot Tracker that would automatically send a text to my wife. Felt great, well rested, pulled back on the highway and

That is the last thing I remember and last clear thought for 3 weeks.

Within an hour, I had wrecked my bike. What I know about the wreck is what the Highway Patrol told my wife. And from my son who rides and who went to the wreck site. The Patrolman speculated to my wife that I had been blown off the highway by the wind storm they were having and potentially a wind shear. My son told me the accident happened as I cleared a pass and when he was there the wind was screaming through there.

I've ridden in bad winds over the years. If you ride in the plains states long enough you learn that wicked sudden crosswind can move you from your lane if you aren't ready to make a correction. What really happened? I can't speculate. I've ridden motorcycles for 45 years. Seen a lot of the country, and have ridden in all types of weather including snow. I low-sided the bike so I know it wasn't emergency braking or front tire washout.

There were no witnesses to the accident. Some guy driving by saw my bike and had the presence of mind to stop and look for the rider. He found me, called for help. Highway Patrol showed, called for Life Flight. Life Flight couldn't land close because it was too rugged. Called for an ambulance. Hauled me to the ambulance, ambulance took me to Life Flight, which took me back to San Diego to Sharp Memorial Hospital. Probably the nicest and most advanced hospital I have ever seen. It was the right place for me to be.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-25-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Injuries:

At time of admission I had (in no particular order):
separated my skull from my backbone (Atlanto Occiptal Dislocation) commonly called an Internal Decapitation
both legs were broken
my left ankle was severely damaged
left knee ligament damage
left elbow soft tissue damage
left shoulder damaged (possibly need additional surgery)
ribs broken
my right thigh had a substantial puncture wound, silver dollar circumference, that ran up and through the muscles in my upper leg.
Later, when I woke up I was diagnosed with:
Cranial Nerve 6 damage effecting the movement of both eyes
Cranial 8 Nerve damage effecting hearing in my right ear

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-25-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

The Good News (and there is a lot of it):

I am still here. A neuro-surgeon literally reattached my skull to my backbone. People with my neck injury don't live. (about 15% live) of those who live, paralysis and brain damage is common. I'm here and everything is working. I passed all the neuro-psych testing (twice).
They saved my left leg. They had to perform a fasciotomy on both the outside and inside of my calf to save the leg but it worked. (if you want to know what a fasciotomy is, BING/google it but be prepared). They put 2 pins in my left ankle to fix it.

It seems every Dr. (orthopedic, Neuro-surgeon, Neuro-opthamologist, Neuro-psychologist) tells me it will take a year to fully recover. But so far I am way ahead of schedule.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-25-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

The Aftermath:

No memory for 2 weeks. Sketchy for 4 weeks.
8 weeks in the hospital, 2 of it in ICU.
10 weeks later I am healing and on a walker. Left leg is taking a while to heal. The shoulder is still a mystery with limited movement and may require and additional surgery. Neck brace will be on for another 6 weeks if everything goes as planned. The nerves damaged will heal or they won't... They can operate and fix my eye in a year and there is always a hearing aid if my hearing doesn't improve.

Motorcycling:

As soon as I was alert enough I told my wife no more motorcycles. Not because I'm afraid of motorcycles or riding again. It is because I wouldn't put my wife of 30 years through all the stress and anguish of going through this ever again. I can't imagine what she felt when she got the call from the Head Trauma Dr. telling her to come at once and if there were children to bring them. She didn't know whether she was coming to say goodbye, see a corpse, or a paraplegic. My wife however, is still open to me riding. Some of our greatest times have been on the back of a motorcycle or places we've gone on a motorcycle. She told me Friday she has no issue at all riding with me again. So, we will see what the future holds. I have time to think about it because I am told it will take a year for me leg and neck to completely heal.

My Final Pitch:

At the time of the accident I was wearing ATGATT.
Tour Master Quest armored pants
Tour Master Transition armored jacket
Heavy leather motorcycle boots
Full face modular helmet
heavy leather (full finger) gloves.

I firmly believe this equipment helped saved my life. The gear worked.
If you want to argue with me about this, go low-side your bike at 80 mph off an embankment without any gear on and we can discuss it.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-25-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

And An Offer:

If any of you make the run between El Centro and San Diego: My Spot Tracker was left at the scene. It continued to ping for 10 days before the battery died. I have the coordinates. If anyone wants the Spot Tracker, send me a note, I will send you the coordinates and when you pick it up, I will call Spot and have it assigned to you. You get a free Spot Tracker. The weather won't bother it because they are made for the elements and water proof. It is bright orange and should be easy to see on the ground among the rocks.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-25-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,844 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Default Incredible story

Best of luck with your recovery.

The following users liked this post:
Jonesee (07-29-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

Wow, Jonesee! That is an amazing story and I am so glad to hear you survived it. What an ordeal! I know the wind you are talking about and it is brutal. No matter how good you are at riding, you can't defeat physics.

I hope you recover fully and whatever decision you make in the future will be the best for you and your family. Stick around the forum though. There are a lot of riders who will benefit from your story and sharing your wisdom. God bless.

Jonesee (07-29-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad to see you're still here to tell the story.

Jonesee (07-29-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:05 PM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Amazing story and a very fortunate outcome. I appreciate you sharing. Good luck as you continue your road to recovery.

Jonesee (07-29-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:06 PM
ripn
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn Jonesee, I'm glad you are still on the right side of the daisies. That wreck sounds intense and your injuries..well obviously someone somewhere has further purpose for you on this earth. You got a long road ahead to get healed and time to contemplate your riding future. Interesting that the wife is still open to you riding again.
Take care.

Jonesee (07-29-2016)

Quick Reply: The Ride, The Wreck, The Report