General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first ride on an HD

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:35 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My first ride on an HD

I've been riding sport bikes for the better part of 10 years. I've always enjoyed long rides, but was always limited since a sport bike isn't the most comfortable. I rented a 2016 RG for a few days and took a 400 mile trip.

I genuinely enjoyed the bike. It handled phenomenally considering the size. The power is laughable in comparison to what I'm use to (200hp), but it was more than sufficient for it's purposes. My only real complaint was that the air vents seemed completely useless. I'm 6'1" and they still shot air straight over my head. The direction of flow is horrible.

Next stop is to rent a SG, but I have a feeling I'll stick with the RG. It's going to be hard for me to pony up the kind of money HD wants for a bike with such limited features, but I had one of the best rides I've ever had on this bike.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It's a different kind of love

Old 07-27-2016, 03:50 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Glad you had a great ride on it and like the other poster said it is a very different kinda love!

I know this is a harley forum, but you said you'd been riding sport bikes, wanted some longer ride comfort, and was disappointed with the RG features... given all that I gotta ask, have you tried the other options out there? Gold Wings, Concourse, etc. Harley isn't the only long range cruiser option out there.

I'm probably gonna take some heat for that :-(

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-27-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:51 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

An HD is truly a different animal. I tell people you've got to treat her like a Lady and she'll reward you with some of the most incredible rides of your life. Treat her badly and she'll be the harshest mistress you could ever find.

I've spent a great deal of time on sport, sport touring, and track bikes. It's my HD's that I remember

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-28-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:59 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

So...what features do you think it is missing? Air conditioning?

The following 2 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
FattyMcJ (07-27-2016), Redlegvzv (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Glad you had a great ride on it and like the other poster said it is a very different kinda love!

I know this is a harley forum, but you said you'd been riding sport bikes, wanted some longer ride comfort, and was disappointed with the RG features... given all that I gotta ask, have you tried the other options out there? Gold Wings, Concourse, etc. Harley isn't the only long range cruiser option out there.
I've ridden many different bikes and have considered quite a few. Initially, I was going to go for a BMW adventure bike, but that's one of those bikes that would sit in the garage and be used for road trips exclusively (for me, anyways). I wish I could convince myself to get a naked sport bike (BMW S1000R, GSX1000R, etc.), but the dark side is pulling me in. I never would have seen myself on a HD, but I think that the RG and SG are sexy bikes and would fit my desires.

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
So...what features do you think it is missing? Air conditioning?
For the price of one, yes.

Just to put into perspective, my last bike (2015 Yamaha R1) was liquid cooled, 196hp, full electronic dash, ABS, traction control, lean angle sensors, braking sensors, lap timer, steel braided brake lines, projector headlights...I could keep going. That bike was a fraction of the cost of a RG. And yes, some of those are options on a RG.

Don't think I'm bashing HD -- I'm going to buy one, but their pricing is definitely tailored to own the brand.

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
An HD is truly a different animal. I tell people you've got to treat her like a Lady and she'll reward you with some of the most incredible rides of your life. Treat her badly and she'll be the harshest mistress you could ever find.

I've spent a great deal of time on sport, sport touring, and track bikes. It's my HD's that I remember
Are you saying they're not reliable?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-27-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:18 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I am 6' and I find the vents work great. If you're comparing wind flow to your rocket its not even the same thing. The fairing on a touring bike is functional for the rider and keeps the wind where its supposed to go which is not smack in your face. If that total wind in your face feeling is what you're looking for look at models without a fairing or windshield.

We all know Harley is king of form over function, but we buy them anyway because we don't care. If you're looking for a touring bike with all the modern bells and whistles... get a Goldwing.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

If you don't direct wind flow over the riders head you get helmet/head buffeting, the mail slot vent was designed to break the vacuum bubble behind the screen that caused wind over the the screen to boil back down and cause wake turbulence.

Unlike a naked or sport bike you don't have a smooth wind flow to work in conjunction with helmet aerodynamics. That can make for some nasty headaches, neck strain, and eye strain from a long day of having your head buffeted.

I came off sportbikes as well. and absolutely love my road glide ultra. At my age with 0 self control it was the smart move for me.

teedubbyaw (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chekoz77
I am 6' and I find the vents work great. If you're comparing wind flow to your rocket its not even the same thing. The fairing on a touring bike is functional for the rider and keeps the wind where its supposed to go which is not smack in your face. If that total wind in your face feeling is what you're looking for look at models without a fairing or windshield.

We all know Harley is king of form over function, but we buy them anyway because we don't care. If you're looking for a touring bike with all the modern bells and whistles... get a Goldwing.
In my experience, the vent on each side of the fairing shot air straight over my head. One would think that they would be angled towards your body.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by teedubbyaw
In my experience, the vent on each side of the fairing shot air straight over my head. One would think that they would be angled towards your body.
I thought the same thing when I got mine but they are not air vents for directing wind on you. They just move the air around in front of you to help with buffeting and air pockets. You will feel a small difference with them open but most of the air still goes over your head like its supposed to.

teedubbyaw (07-27-2016)

Quick Reply: My first ride on an HD