General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer put something on my Denim Paint need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:41 AM
dcuozzo
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer put something on my Denim Paint need a little help

So I bring my 16 Road Glide in for my 1000 mile service. I get home and notice finger prints on rear fender, bags, gas tank and seat. So I use denim cleaner it does not come off. I call dealer they are very apologetic to giving me bike back in that condition. I go in the supervisor uses some sort of paint Safe solvent on it. Made it better but still see marks in certain sunlight and it's driving me nuts. Also now there is a shiney mark surrounding the finger print on one of my bags. First of all what the heck could this stuff be that won't come off? And any advice on maybe how to clean or what to do here would be helpful.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:46 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

IMHO...dealer screw-up = dealer fix! Bring it back...they're liable.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Just touching denim paint with the tip of a finger causes damage?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 AM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,134 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Just touching denim paint with the tip of a finger causes damage?
It would depend on what's on the tip of that finger.

Denim paint can't be treated like regular automotive paint. It can' be waxed, it isn't as durable as regular paint, and you shouldn't use the same type of cleaners on it, either. I think Harley Davidson specifies ammonia based glass cleaner, and that's what my wife uses on her Iron. Seems to work well.

One more thing: that supervisor at the dealership might have made a mistake by trying to use solvent to take the marks off....... In any case, the dealership is liable for whatever it takes to make it right.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

That sucks a fat one. Don't let them off the hook or they'll develop amnesia over it. Not sure I'd want a finish that was as delicate as that.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:39 AM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Harley makes a Black Denim cleaner that comes in a spray bottle. I believe it's has alcohol in it to allow for a quick flash out after spraying it, and then wiping it down. If you do a forum search, guys have mentioned how to make your own version of the Black Denim paint cleaner and what percentages you need to formulate it. I just opted to buy what Harley sells because it's easier for me.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:43 AM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

But in response to the OP, yeah it sounds like the supervisor totally ****ed up and basically polished the black denim, hence the shine you are seeing in spots. The Black Denim paint has a matte clear coat shot over it, but if you use Windex or any other substance meant for normal paints, you'll wind up bringing a shine out of the matte clear coat. Some guys have intentionally polished their Black Denim paint jobs into a high gloss shine. But that's what they were going for. You weren't. Dealer needs to repaint the pieces because I don't think there's anyway to undo it.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:43 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
IMHO...dealer screw-up = dealer fix! Bring it back...they're liable.
Seriously OP - let the Dealer fix their problem - don't take a chance of making theirs worse.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:35 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Seriously OP - let the Dealer fix their problem - don't take a chance of making theirs worse.
What he said! If you screw with it more, they can throw up there hands and say you did it and they are not responsible.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:40 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I haven't used a dealer for service in years, but every time I was there they went over the bike before I left the lot. If your dealer doesn't do this, make it a point each time you go there to have someone inspect it with you.

Quick Reply: Dealer put something on my Denim Paint need a little help