General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big change!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:29 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts
Default Big change!

Anytime the motor company comes out with a new motor, its a massive ripple effect through the aftermarket parts guys. Just took a quick look at the M8 specs and it sure looks like they tried to lock it down from the new mechanicals to the new case design etc. Plus more advanced technology for emissions/power/cooling etc to have a higher compression engine that runs quieter and cooler, generates more power at lower rpms and puts out less emissions.
From an old timers perspective, upgrades definitely geared towards newer Harley riders who don't think a motorcycle should vibrate, heat up, need aftermarket upgrades to make power, get good gas mileage, not pollute and not be loud! Now where did I go wrong? LOL!

Old 08-23-2016, 05:49 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

If they refine it too much it will end up being another V=Rod and that is about how it will work out for them. The base for Harley has always been the same group who wants a loud thumping V-Twin. They are not vegans and do not stay up all night trying to figure out how to reduce their carbon footprint. For the life of me I can't figure out how this "overheating" bullshit started. In over 50 years of riding neither I or anyone I have ever known or heard of "overheated" a Harley other than in a burnout pit. Harley should not try to compete with other manufacturers and stay true to their base. Power ain't ****. I had a '47 knuckle with a 27" over springer in tangerine heavy metal flake. Cool trumps power any day (of course this was 1966). Let us not forget the S&S X-Wedge engine, although, granted, the three people who bought them seem to like them, after 5 years of improvements.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:03 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

That base is drying up. You think anyone born in the 90s cares about that..

Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Have you two been living under a rock? All this "new" engine technology is to satisfy the EPA, not the younger customers. Welcome to the 1980s.

The following users liked this post:
TO34 (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Harley will never compete with the "rice-rockets" for torque and power while still meeting EPA BS. Side by side for cruisers it seem the new Indian's are reviewing much better than Harleys in the categories mentioned. Folks born in the 90's from what I've been able to tell at Daytona Bike Week and other bike weeks , all went to customs. Old ***** like me at Sturgis is where you see the largest number of Harleys. I didn't want a cruiser until I was 60. Always had choppers up until then. Are folks born in the 90's buying touring bikes and forking out $40 thou for CVOs? I don't know and am too old to care so long as progress doesn't try to take a **** on my little corner of the world.

Last edited by Mastiff107; 08-23-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:15 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member

cust what

Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Helmsy67
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
That base is drying up. You think anyone born in the 90s cares about that..
I was born in 92 and I do. But I grew up with my dad and uncle roaring around on Harley's from the day I was born

Old 08-23-2016, 06:30 PM
jakedaniel
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It'll be very interesting to see what the aftermarket is going to do for the new Milwaukee 8 especially since the EPA warned them about developing their own "defeat device" tuners that alter Air/Fuel settings to allow for loud pipe and fancy air cleaner changes. A lot of folks on here are saying it's unimaginable that the aftermarket companies won't develop/manufacture/distribute new "defeat device" tuners to help them break the law. I'm not so sure. It's the end of an era. The EPA has Harley by the grapes and we are fast approaching the day when you won't be able to tune your Air/Fuel mixture for better performance.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:30 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Helmsy67
I was born in 92 and I do. But I grew up with my dad and uncle roaring around on Harley's from the day I was born
But you're not in the majority of buyers. Their core base is white males, 35 and older with the average owner in the late 40s. Though I applaud your good taste.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Helmsy67
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
But you're not in the majority of buyers. Their core base is white males, 35 and older with the average owner in the late 40s. Though I applaud your good taste.
Thanks! I agree though. I ride with two buddies. We all have Harley's. Most other people our age around here either don't ride at all or have jap bikes.

Quick Reply: Big change!