General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience With Toyhaulers

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:15 PM
C2DJ
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Experience With Toyhaulers

Does anyone have experience with toyhaulers, specifically Work and Plays and Weekend warriors? I do BBQ cook offs and I am in need of a new bunk house. I am tired of cheap travel trailers and their rubber roofs. The Work and Plays have a one piece aluminum roof, mainly because they are converted cargo trailers. I think the Weekend Warriors are some new blend of rubber and fiberglass, not completely sure but they seem to be higher quality than some of the average trailers (barring some frame issues around 2003-2005). The toy haulers work for me because most have a queen bed plus some couches that make beds and then fold flat against the wall. Some have queen beds that drop down from the roof in the garage and then air mattresses can also be used. I figure it could also do double duty for the occasional rally as well. Thanks for any input

Old 08-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

We have a work and play, 30 ft.long, 10 ft garage. We like it a lot. Have used it for camping, kayaking, hauling bikes. It's heavy duty. We took out the sliding doors and can put 3 bikes in it. We are planning to upgrade later this year to a 5 th wheel and a little more living space but it's been a great trailer.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:53 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

For the trailer itself Work & Play's are hard to beat. They are basically converted car haulers. Metal framing and all. Pretty much maintenance free and that is the reason I built my own Toyhauler/cargo conversion. Vast majority are flimsy wood framing and the slightest leak will soon result in major repairs. Can't speak of Weekend Warriors latest incarnation since I lost interest in there products way before they went under years ago.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:21 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

I had a 30' Weekend Warrior, and was not impressed with the quality. I sold it after 1 year, and now have a 20' Carson Racer. I don't have the need to sleep overnight in it anymore and decided to go with a dedicated car hauler. It tows much better than the WW. The WW did not track nearly as well as my Racer when loaded.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:21 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 987 Posts

Been toyhauling since 1990. Been in plenty. The Work and Play is a well built one IMO
When toyhauling stay away from the "light weight" ones. 1/2 the ones I see at shows rallies etc... a big guy will bend the roof- too lightweight. And YES you'll be up there maintaining that rubber roof- I did and the last roof lasted 14 yrs outdoors.
Go to: rv.net then the toyhauler section- lots of helpful people and tips on TH's

Attached Thumbnails Experience With Toyhaulers-th-9-9-15-1.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 09:21 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

We looked extensively at both of those. Settled on an MXT for several reasons that I can't remember (60+ y/o ).

But, we have enjoyed it and have had zero issues except for lightning frying my A/C.

It hauls 2 Heritage Classics no problem and has a drop-down sit and sleep in the garage.

We have put about 10k miles in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana & SD. Still looks good as the day I took it home.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:41 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Made my own.

I started with a 24' Featherlite bare. 2x 30 gals of fresh, no black water, 110V & 12V. A/C and have 3 different generators, 2 Honda (3000EU & 2,400W, & 1 new ef2000isV2 (you want quiet). No permanent furniture except a work bench in the V. Shower pulls from the wall, instant on gas water heater. Open floor plan that is not for looks & removable carpeting showing all aluminum floor. All tie downs are connected below the aluminum floor planks except 2 rows of A-Track. Wheel chalks can be installed where you want them of 5 mounting (below floor) that are connected by SS 1/2" alan bolts. Everything is on wheels so I only take what I need for what I am doing. I want open & flexible without the weight of the kitchen sink & drapes. Maybe 3,800# but a lot of drag. The cap/shell is trying to reduce that somewhat.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:06 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I have a pair of quality 10X20' pop up tents with side walls I bring to shows and can be uses for an additional 200 SqFt of outdoor living area with your kitchen outside. Chairs, tables, and my couch can be brought outside for a fire ring, beer cooler and the retelling of great times. All I need, no need for drapes. Oh, & a queen bed (w/3" Gel topper) that I have:

Old 08-27-2016, 05:42 PM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Give these a look,best in the industry IMO,although I may be biased!

http://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-TH-Photo.html

Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

We have a 2015 WnP 30WLA and overall, it's been a good toy hauler. We use it mostly for our 2 atv's, but have taken the bike to NC in it a couple times. This model has a big open space in the rear, no decided 10' garage. It works for us because we can put the atv's one in front of the other and the bike is easy to load. I found the WnP trailers to be on the heavy side. My dry weight is around 9k, loaded is around 12000, but the tongue weight is 1500-1700 depending on load. My F250 tows it just fine, but you know it's back there.

The only issues we've had with it is with the Dometic a/c. We've on our 3rd one, it's been replaced twice under warranty. Domestic had a bad batch of their 15k units and have been good about replacing them, but it'd annoying since we use the a/c quite a bit here in FL.

Had a few minor issues with a broken wire and minor fit and finish stuff, all fixed myself.

We've thought about a 5th wheel, but where we camp with the atv's is a state park with lots of trees, so we don't want to go much higher. Plus, we'd need to upgrade the 250 to a 350 due to the pin weight of the 5th wheels. For what we use the trailer for, the WnP works just fine, so we're gonna stick with this until we upgrade to a class A or super C.

Photos from July 2015 at the Ironhorse in NC.

Quick Reply: Experience With Toyhaulers