General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for Checking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:44 PM
reedalarson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Checking Oil

I just changed the oil in my bike for the first time tonight. I watched a couple YouTube videos to help me, I'm pretty sure I did everything correct. I'm just nervous about how much goes back in. The manual says 3 quarts for a 96' softail custom but the video said that about half a quart gets trapped in the motor and doesn't drain out so I only put about 2.5 quarts in and then checked the oil. Well the oil is so clear I can barely tell where the oil is on the dip stick? Any tricks or thoughts?

Old 08-29-2016, 11:22 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

On a Softail, I put 2 quarts in and start the engine and let it run until the oil light goes out. I then add a half quart and stand the bike level.
I keep the oil level in the tank just a tad below the bottom of the dipstick filler neck.

I've had a Softail(s) since '88 and once piece of advice that I will give you is to never add oil to the oil tank before you start the bike an allow it to warm up.

Last year my wife only rode her Heritage once but I still changed the oil before I out it away.
This spring, when I dropped it down from the lift I checked the oil (cold engine) and I was about a half quart low (so I thought).
I added the half quart and took the bike in to the dealer (about 9 miles) at an easy pace to get a new set of tires installed (due to age, not mileage).

When we picked the bike up my wife was following me, and with the new tires I was cranking on it a little more on the way home than I did earlier in the day.

My wife came up behind me blowing the horn and flashing her lights.
Apparently I was blowing oil all over her car (and onto her beloved motorcycle)!
Yep, the dipstick had popped out (but thankfully still in the oil tank).

Of all the years that I've had Harleys, this was the first time that I had experienced the "oil sumping" issue.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:51 PM
reedalarson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!! Yes, I did add 2 quarts and then run the bike for about 5 minutes and then added only another half quart. I'm guessing that is good for oil level but I'm having a hard time reading the stick because the oil is so clear. 😬

Old 08-30-2016, 05:12 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Just eyeball the top of the oil level when you pull that cap off...look down the hole. Much easier than trying to read the dipstick.

It's just an oil bag/oil tank....so it' storage for the oil. Not as critical as engine oil level in a car. Just keep it 3/4-ish to within a bit close to bottom of filler neck..but not up at filler neck.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:18 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Pull dipstick, wipe off, re-insert, pull again and hold under/up-to the light so you can see the shiny area(s). Definitely is hard eyeballing the new fluid, but you'll get the hang of it, over time.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:41 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Pull dipstick, wipe off, re-insert, pull again and hold under/up-to the light so you can see the shiny area(s). Definitely is hard eyeballing the new fluid, but you'll get the hang of it, over time.
Yep what he said. It is really no different than reading oil level on anything with a dip stick, new oil is more difficult to see than older darker oil. Good light makes it easier, if the light is dimmer in your garage or where ever you are checking it a flashlight may be a benefit. Even with my 53 year old eyes I can still read it, you will get the hang of it

Old 08-30-2016, 05:47 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

I just press the little button on my dipstick readout and get oil level and temp, clear as day .

Old 08-30-2016, 06:17 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I've always noticed after I run mine the little bit of darker "trapped" oil mixes with the new oil and it's easier to see.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:40 AM
CMac
Cruiser
Location: Armpit of the Free World (Washington, DC metro area)
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
that's it, right there.

you'll come up with lots of tips and tricks of your own as you go: the washing, all the regular maintenance, any weird noises, etc...before you know it, you'll be offering advice on all this stuff, too. keep at it.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:29 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
I just press the little button on my dipstick readout and get oil level and temp, clear as day .
That's what I do too!

Quick Reply: Tips for Checking Oil