General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My failed Iron butt challenge story, whats yours?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:16 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Good story. Uh, wait. Well told story. That's better! I know how riding in the rain can suck the enjoyment and energy out of you. I left Northern Va. on a vacation to see my brother in St. Louis via Nashville. Rained the entire trip out and back. I had rain gear but still, after eight days I was done. Sounds like you're ready for another attempt.
I'm surprised IronAss hasn't responded yet.

Last edited by monkeyboy22; 10-06-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

People don't usually right long stories about losing. HA.

Try again some other time.

For me Sturgis is 900 some miles. First time went by myself, at 500 mile planned stop was early, so I just kept going. Was easier going west. Gain hour as the world turns. Way home, just wanted to get home.

Was only around 940. So no Iron Butt. Wasn't saving receipts. No intrest in official Iron Butt. 1000 miles is 1000 miles in my book.

I failed in less then 500 words.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:56 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

....... get a RoadSofa, problem solved
Originally Posted by EricRay
This is my butt after 6 hrs. on my bike

........................ that just looks painful

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
That was pretty much uncalled for.

Last edited by groupw; 10-06-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:23 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
I think the "Iron B U T T" is stewpid, but that is just my opinion.
Some posers think it's great........................
Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
That was pretty much uncalled for.
I agree big time with Larry.

BuzzCap7

Old 10-06-2016, 11:48 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Yes and no on the Iron Butt thing. I have ridden several 1k rides each year. However I have no need to pay $40 dollars to have a piece of paper stating that. I'm cheap.

A couple years back my son signed up for one and I went with. We always do the Illinois to Sturgis ralley in one shot to and back from. He paid the fee, got the receipts and signatures. He has a piece of paper and I don't. Just the bliss of riding an H-D and $40 more dollars for gas.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-06-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:35 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
SpaceReapersNOLA,

First off I am SUPER SUPER SUPER proud of u and would be privileged to call you my friend if we were friends.

Your CAN DO attitude and insistence on getting the job done amongst real crappy conditions is ADMIRABLE!!!! I wish more people in the USA had ***** like you do....

CONGRATs for giving it such a GREAT EFFORT…………. Sorry you had to go thru so much turmoil. MUST have felt really bad.

I am an IBAer with 3 rides under my belt but no failures.

Be sure to Give It Another Go. Just check the WX ahead of time on your route. If you do not have good iPhone WX app’s, let me know and I will share the ones I use that you may want to check into.

What a freaking story………..

BuzzCap7
Thanks for the kind words, three Iron butts! Thats something to be proud of!

Originally Posted by robertd
MAn, I think you earned your Iron Butt, they need to sent you the patch!
Man , you dont know how many people have said the same thing. At the end of the day it's not about the patch, it is a personal challenge. I know I didnt make it and wouldnt feel right wearing a patch I didnt earn.

Originally Posted by not a sock
I think the "Iron B U T T" is stewpid, but that is just my opinion.
Some posers think it's great........................
well you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I can assure you , there is nothing "poser" about attempting this challenge. Anyone who can crush 1000 miles in a day on a motorcycle is one serious riding MF.

Originally Posted by Red
If you ride another 50 years you will never forget this experience. You will look back and laugh about it. Some of the dumb stuff we do sticks with us for a lifetime. Congrats on the attempt. Maybe plan a little better next time! I hear smart phones have weather radar. lol...

I did my first 1000/24 before the IBA was around on a '76 Superglide. That was about 1980. The ride was sponsored by a mc club out of Rockport(?) Illinois.
Man, I know I really messed up by not checking the weather before hand. Lessen learned the hard way! You are right though, I came out with a great story and an adventure I wont soon forget!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I have yet to do an Iron Butt as my backside is only good for around 500-600 miles per day. But, you get major props for admitting your failure and telling your story. Most would have simply kept quiet. If I do attempting soon, the first thing that I am doing is checking the weather. Ron

Last edited by SanJuanRon; 10-07-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kel03
Great try, should name you Iron *****. I wouldn't have never made it, probably hit the trailer first time, ha ha. You'll do it I'm sure.
hahahah I like that, I'm going to tell all my friends that from now on they must call me IRON *****! hahahah

Originally Posted by Big Boz
So what was your final mileage for the day? The second time you saw your buddies, you should have at least got your rain gear from them. I would have probably been done after the spill.

I did 820 miles in 16 hours with about 1/2 being in the rain. I was glad to be done at 820 when I pulled into the garage. I am not sure that I could have done another 3 hours.
final mileage was around 700, I didn't even look when I turned into the motel. At that point the only thing I cared about was a warm shower and dry clothes.

Originally Posted by Zerk
People don't usually right long stories about losing. HA.

Try again some other time.

For me Sturgis is 900 some miles. First time went by myself, at 500 mile planned stop was early, so I just kept going. Was easier going west. Gain hour as the world turns. Way home, just wanted to get home.

Was only around 940. So no Iron Butt. Wasn't saving receipts. No intrest in official Iron Butt. 1000 miles is 1000 miles in my book.

I failed in less then 500 words.
yeah you right but sometimes the losses make the best stories. It would have been much less interesting if the whole story was " I attempted the Iron butt... and made it"

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Yes and no on the Iron Butt thing. I have ridden several 1k rides each year. However I have no need to pay $40 dollars to have a piece of paper stating that. I'm cheap.

A couple years back my son signed up for one and I went with. We always do the Illinois to Sturgis ralley in one shot to and back from. He paid the fee, got the receipts and signatures. He has a piece of paper and I don't. Just the bliss of riding an H-D and $40 more dollars for gas.
Well, I agree with you about the piece of paper, for me it wasnt about a piece of paper or a patch , it was about a personal challenge. It was about setting a goal and accomplishing that goal, period. It's funny how many people have said "you should contact them and see if they will give you a patch" or even worse " you should just photoshop the mileage and get the patch" but as I said this was a personal goal. I dont care if the guys at bike night think I'm cool because I have a IB patch, I would know I was a fraud, I would know I didnt earn it and pretending to be something I'm not aint my style.

I may have failed at this attempt but this experience will only make it sweeter when I do accomplish the iron butt!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:57 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
I have yet to do an Iron Butt as my backside is only good for around 500-600 miles per day. But, you get major props for admitting your failure and telling your story. Most would have simply kept quiet. If I do attempting soon, the first thing that I am doing is checking the weather. Ron
if there is a lesson to be learned from this story it's CHECK THE WEATHER! hahahaha

Old 10-07-2016, 09:08 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,499 Likes on 638 Posts

Man, great effort! A pit bull's tenacity has got nothing on you!

In sports, it's nice to win but I've always felt you learn a lot more from a lose than a win. Not saying you "lost" but you learned a sh*tload more about yourself on that ride than if it were all sunshine, roses and free gas for the 1000 miles.

Quick Reply: My failed Iron butt challenge story, whats yours?