General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learning as I go, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Fastnfree44
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default learning as I go, need help

I bought a 77 sportster xlh as a starter and project bike. I figured it would be the best thing to do. This way if something comes up I'll have a better understanding of whats goin on. Has new starter, solenoid, relay, and breakers, new points and battery. I checked the wiring and followed the diagram to correct issues, (dude I got it from butchered **** out of wiring) Then after corrections seemed like it wanted to start, few lil fire ***** would come out of carb but battery would drain and fast. I check grounds and there good, took starter off and passed bench test, took wire from positive and touched small stud on solenoid (saw another forum suggesting it) and the bike would crank but not start. im at a brick wall and need help or some direction. thanks in advance

Last edited by Fastnfree44; 10-08-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Fastnfree44
6th Gear

it came with new solenoid. could it be faulty? or another part

Old 10-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats on the project. I'm working on a '73 myself. Don't really know enough to diagnose yet. You didn't mention spark plugs and wires, but assume you've changed/checked them? If spark is good than fueling would be my next guess.

Check out the ironhead sub forum here...not the busiest place. If you don't see any threads showing make sure you set it show all threads in the last year instead of just the last day. That setting will be at the bottom of the page.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ironh...0&daysprune=-1

Might want to also join/post in Chopcult.com as they have a large ironhead community that's pretty active.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
Fastnfree44 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 12:14 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

When you jumped it to the solenoid,and it cranked,did you have the ignition on?

Fastnfree44 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Fastnfree44
6th Gear

Thanks for you input Thingfish. I assumed I had spark, maybe it was just on side. Came with accel supercoil and wires. I assumed that there was spark or there wouldnt be the puffs of flame coming out where carb is. This has been one hell of a learning project. But this is what I wanted. I'll check out other site ya suggested as well. I first put new parts and saw glimmer of hope... man I was pumped, then crushed. haha. Part of the experience I guess. New battery even after being hooked up to trickle charge drains fast as ****. Any idea? Im gonna pull out multimeter.

hdbob2006 Ignition was on but I think I need new set you should see the hack soldering job from previous owner or who know whos touched this bike. The kid I bought it from wanted to make a bobber and missing wires, cut wires, just a mess. On a side note hdbob2006 I had to do a double take at your profile pic. hahaha

Last edited by Fastnfree44; 10-08-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Spark can be finicky when comes to starting. Just having it isn't always enough. Check the plugs for sure. Gap, etc...

As for the battery drain, maybe you have an open draw on it somewhere. If the wiring is that messy anything is possible.

If you haven't get, get the factory service manual and parts manual for your year. Has all the wiring diagrams too. Might help you Sherlock it all out.

Fastnfree44 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 02:43 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Well timing issue obviously,,
If someone pulled the distributor it could be one tooth off,, I've seen that happen with shovels.
You need to get a cylinder on a compression stroke,(pull a plug, put your thumb on the hole and spin it till you feel the compression, stop),, then look at the position of the rotor,,

Fastnfree44 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastnfree44
I bought a 77 sportster xlh as a starter and project bike. I figured it would be the best thing to do. This way if something comes up I'll have a better understanding of whats goin on. Has new starter, solenoid, relay, and breakers, new points and battery. I checked the wiring and followed the diagram to correct issues, (dude I got it from butchered **** out of wiring) Then after corrections seemed like it wanted to start, few lil fire ***** would come out of carb but battery would drain and fast. I check grounds and there good, took starter off and passed bench test, took wire from positive and touched small stud on solenoid (saw another forum suggesting it) and the bike would crank but not start. im at a brick wall and need help or some direction. thanks in advance
Just a first thought, it could be a timing issue like mentioned. Going back in my memories of that engine, one way to set timing is by pulling the allen plug out from the left side just between the base of the jugs. Jacked up and in gear, plugs out,you can turn it over while watching flywheel rotate until the timing mark comes up. Then check your distributor position. It could be off one tooth but you could compensate for that by turning the distributor slightly. 180 degrees out would require removing dist and repositioning it.
Most helpful to have a service manual.
Good luck...

Fastnfree44 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 05:21 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Work on one system at a time and make sure it is working correctly. Then go on to the next system. You need Fuel, air and ignition to have the engine run. The air is pretty simple. Next I would check the ignition system. Don't guess your getting spark make sure. Get an inline ignition tester, they are cheap, but will they will save you a lot of headaches. You just put it in between the spark plug and HT lead. If it lights up you are getting spark. If it doesn't light up or it is intermittent then you have an issue with the ignition system. Points, condenser, plugs, coil, Ht leads etc. If you do have a constant light then are the plugs wet when you attempt to start it? If no then the issue is probably with the fuel system. Make sure you are getting good fuel delivery to the carb. Then check to see if your carb may be dirty, a stuck float. a plugged pilot jet. If you have good spark and fuel then check the timing and see where that is. Also on a side note have you done a compression check on both cylinders?

I'm doing something similar but on an '88 sporty.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Fastnfree44
6th Gear

Thanks for advice and your service in the Navy

Quick Reply: learning as I go, need help