General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle repair co-ops.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:24 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
BUT, if you are rebuilding an old scoot barn find or the like, you can have a lot of help on issues you may not have knowledge in.
That's what these types of forums and YouTube are for. And a hell of a lot cheaper to boot. Plus you can't be an internet tough guy at a co-op. lol

Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
So it would seem that several of you have had experience with these places. Are you still members, do you still go? I'm reading a lot of , "we used to have..." or, "there was one..." and, "there used to be places..." So what happened? Were they not profitable so they closed or did they become to expensive or too lame so you stopped going?

Ok hard facts no used to be's. I have seen 3 places while not motorcycle dedicated opened and ran under the same general premise, stalls for rent , dedicated work spaces with some bigger tools like a hyd. & drill press , a few floor jacks, ect. and general hand tools available, used one once to change a trans in a car during a midwest winter. None lasted more than a few years do to the usual legal issues, insurance or lack of and tool misuse, loss or theft. Most the lawyers & city got to because some clown gets hurt or damages something and the whose fault is it going to be game starts.

While it's a great idea human nature eventually will kill it if it's a public thing.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Ok hard facts no used to be's. I have seen 3 places while not motorcycle dedicated opened and ran under the same general premise, stalls for rent , dedicated work spaces with some bigger tools like a hyd. & drill press , a few floor jacks, ect. and general hand tools available, used one once to change a trans in a car during a midwest winter. None lasted more than a few years do to the usual legal issues, insurance or lack of and tool misuse, loss or theft. Most the lawyers & city got to because some clown gets hurt or damages something and the whose fault is it going to be game starts.

While it's a great idea human nature eventually will kill it if it's a public thing.
Because when you hang out at a buddy's house if your bike falls off the lift and on top of you and three of your other friends get to fight over your bike and ask you before you breathe your last breath. Because what are friends for?

Old 12-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
That's what these types of forums and YouTube are for. And a hell of a lot cheaper to boot. Plus you can't be an internet tough guy at a co-op. lol
Forums and videos don't show you how to deal with a stripped screw, or bolt. The don't explain how to get into that small space.

Me, personally, I'm a hands-on kinda learner. If I get stuck, a YT vid ain't gonna help my dumb ***!