General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Battery Tenders get weak from use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:44 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SDozier
I have a 2008 Harley Fatboy purchased used in June 2013. Bike now has 20,000 miles. Battery in bike is a DEKA. Bike is always on tender when not used. I have noticed recently that when I get it off Harley Battery Tender and try to start it, it cranks slowly but does crank. After riding a bit, stopping, and restarting, it starts just fine.

Should the bike start strong after being on the battery tender just like it does after riding a while? Not sure if the tender is wearing out.

SUP
The difference is the motor is cold off the tender and warm when you restart after riding it.
You have a battery thats telling you it's time.
Joe

Old 12-10-2016, 09:30 AM
SDozier
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

smokinjoe,

That is a point that I have not considered. When it is warm / hot, it likely will crank easier and stronger. I am going to get a new battery. 3 1/2 years on this one is pretty good!

SUP

Old 12-10-2016, 09:43 AM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Bought my Deluxe Dec 2008, jan 2009 installed a new battery. Sold Sep 2015 with the same battery i purchased! Kept a bttery tender on it ALL the time, even after a ride.

Originally Posted by RoadKingofTexas
I work the Parts counter at a Texas Dealership.

I always ask when the battery was purchased when someone brings an old one in to be replaced.

Riders who report that they do not regularly use a tender experience an average battery life on an HD battery of approx. 2 - 3 years.

I had two individuals who came in on the last 6 months who bought their HD baggers new in 2009 and were here to get their first replacement batteries. That is a 7 year battery life and they used a tender regularly.

A $40 tender made a (now) $170 battery last 7 years... that's pretty good.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:56 PM
SDozier
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just installed a new Deka Battery for my HD Fatboy. Checked the charge on it when I received it 12.8. Put it on a battery charger (2 amp rate) for a few hours and got about 14 on the meter. Installed it, cranked it, rode it just a bit and put it on the HD Battery Tender.
All is good
SUP

Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had the same tender on my bike(s) for over 16 years. I'd check your connections first, then that battery! If it wasn't taken care of by the previous then it's probably the problem.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:30 PM
Snakeoil
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Battery Tenders do go bad and do not necessarily fail completely. I had one that would not complete the charging cycle. BT gave me an allowance for it. I had to cut the cord flush with the housing and send a photo to them and then the sold me a new one for a deeply discounted price. I think they allowed me $50 off the retail price.

I had nothing to lose so I dug into the failed one. Did some research on the web and found that BT Juniors were known to fail capacitors and replacing them would fix the charger. So, I got the specs off the caps in the charger and bought new caps. I replaced them one by one on the circuit board. I then had to reterminate the lead that Deltran had me cut off. I plugged it in and connected to a battery and it worked like the day I bought it.

So, if your BT is not working properly, you can probably fix it yourself if you can solder.

For what it is worth, I take very good care of my batteries and got 17 years out of my 2001 OEM battery. It would still crank the engine, but not start it. That is when I bought the new OEM HD battery.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:36 AM
theheder
Road Master
Received 904 Likes on 296 Posts

Over the weekend I picked up this 4.5amp Battery Tender at Costco for $50 - ($80 on Amazon)
I still have 2 of the 1.25amp smaller ones, but the tirke I just bought has a lithium battery and those only do flooded batteries.
I really like how solid built / heavy it is.
This one does flooded and lithium batteries.

Happy Father's Day to me!

Last edited by theheder; 06-20-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:04 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakeoil
got 17 years out of my 2001 OEM battery. It would still crank the engine, but not start it. That is when I bought the new OEM HD battery.
that's gotta be some kind of record. the heat here in la kills my batteries. a little over 4 years is the best i've ever done.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:09 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,730 Likes on 2,396 Posts

I did a test on the HD 800mA, the same I believe as the Deltran 800mA junior.

I checked my battery and it was showing 13.15 volts. I switched off the tender and turned on the ignition for a few minutes. The voltage fell to 12.96 volts. I turned on the tender and observed the voltage going up and also saw the green led flashing on the tender. When the led went solid the maximum voltage on the battery was 14.63 volts. After that the voltage started falling which indicates to me the charger had switched off. After a few minutes the voltage had fallen to 13.23 volts.

In order to fully charge an AGM battery it does require around 14.6 volts. Maybe if these tenders are used on flooded lead acid batteries they might damage them long term.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:28 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,222 Likes on 1,408 Posts

I've used the same one for a little over a year now. It does great.

Originally Posted by theheder
Over the weekend I picked up this 4.5amp Battery Tender at Costco for $50 - ($80 on Amazon)
I still have 2 of the 1.25amp smaller ones, but the tirke I just bought has a lithium battery and those only do flooded batteries.
I really like how solid built / heavy it is.
This one does flooded and lithium batteries.

Happy Father's Day to me!

The following users liked this post:
theheder (06-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Do Battery Tenders get weak from use?