General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't be an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:06 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I think in the USA the situation about theft of your motorbike is better than where I live. Here in Western Europe Eastern European gangs do reconnaisance entire areas for valuable things including expensive cars and motorbikes. They 'deliver on order' what the client in the former East block requires. Using chains and locks in the only way to prevent your bike from stealing, you buy time by using multiple chains and locks. And preferable is to chain your bike to a streetlamp pole, a pole of your car port or similar at least with
one chain and lock. The insurance companies refuse to pay when you don't apply at least one or two 'category 4 locks and chains' to prevent your bike from stealing. Even in my internal garage my bike is chained to the floor because even in-house storage is no obstancle for these professional gangs and the insurance companies require this even.
Long live a 'New EU" with East Block countries (cynical laughing)

Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

You said your Ultra was stolen. Why was I thinking you had a Road King instead?

Old 01-16-2017, 04:17 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Myers isn't my first choice, but they do have the bike I want in stock. I'm talking to Worth in KC as well. Maybe the spirit of competition will drive one of them to doing something reasonable. As for Rt. 66, they can DIAF for all I care. I'll never darken their doorway again. Thanks for the kind words.
Rt 66 HD used to be halfway decent especially when they had the 5 and Diner cafe as part of it. Then some *** from California bought it, tore down the diner and let it be known they didn't want any one there that wasn't going to buy. So screw 'em.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:37 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
Rt 66 HD used to be halfway decent especially when they had the 5 and Diner cafe as part of it. Then some *** from California bought it, tore down the diner and let it be known they didn't want any one there that wasn't going to buy. So screw 'em.
It's been sold again since then, the current owner has them open on Holiday's now too. One of the guys in service was fit to be tied over them expecting him to work memorial day... after the experience 2 of my friends have had with them I refuse to even consider a bike from them.

I'll buy from Myers again, they'll just never service my bike again, the new bike I bought in KC has been to 66 for warranty issues, I do and document my own service and their service writers have all done right by me. And I buy parts from 66, they are closer to home and Steve has always done well by me.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:29 PM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
I think in the USA the situation about theft of your motorbike is better than where I live.
Yes probably and reason #1 in the US both the police AND civilians are well armed - much harder on a thief when practically any neighbor might just stop in to see what's going on and put a gun in your face.

As far as this bike goes though - I don't know how the alarm systems work but I got a friend who hauls boats for a living, he can scoop up a 20 ton 50 ft boat in less than 10 minutes and be on his way.

Stealing a motorcycle, that's easy. Even if you didn't have the machinery to quickly lift it, which just takes a small boom on a pickup truck or any half *** tow truck - I imagine even a half *** thief could just jack it up from underneath or above, slide something w/ wheels under the tires & slide it onto a trailer or down the street or wherever it needed to go. I had a friend who lived in a shitty area and someone stole an engine on an engine lift out of his front yard - they wheeled it down the street and likely right onto a trailer, they stole the whole thing, lift & engine.

Jon

Old 01-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

That and most Europeans don't have garages

Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
You said your Ultra was stolen. Why was I thinking you had a Road King instead?
I traded the Road King for the Ultra around last Christmas .

Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Foremost, a division of Farmers, but since Farmers won't insure motorcycles...

Replacement Cost Total Loss Settlement.
We provide Replacement cost coverage for up to two years on bikes purchased new and with a maximum MSRP of $35,000. This applies when you purchase a new motorcycle from an authorized dealer and insures it with us within 30 days. This coverage does not apply to custom or classic motorcycles.

https://www.foremost.com/products/motorcycle/
FYI..it's not truly replacement cost. I just went through this with them, it is 110% of the purchase price up to $35k.

With the Foremost replacement cost total loss settlement option, you will be able to replace your bike with one of like kind and quality up to 110% of the purchase price.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

I traded the Road King for the Ultra around last Christmas .
So does the theft mean you go from a twin cam to an M8? If so, then that's kind of cool.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
FYI..it's not truly replacement cost. I just went through this with them, it is 110% of the purchase price up to $35k.

With the Foremost replacement cost total loss settlement option, you will be able to replace your bike with one of like kind and quality up to 110% of the purchase price.
Well, I got a call from my adjuster yesterday...my new adjuster. Apparently, the old one doesn't work for the company any more. Anyway, I resent all the pertinent info to the new guy. They're supposed to have a proposal for me tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Prot
So does the theft mean you go from a twin cam to an M8? If so, then that's kind of cool.
If it all works out, yes.

Quick Reply: Don't be an idiot