General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So What Does Harley Do Next For 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,954 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Is an inch less rear suspension on a Tourer a good idea when lean angle is already scarce?
Sure it looks cool but HD is at the mercy of product liability attorneys. Any factory mod that leads to collisions exposes MOCO to lawsuits.
That's why we tap the aftermarket to lower a bike.
The old premium 12 shocks sucked, the newer ones on the 17's are better.

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Road king used the same rear suspension length as the Ultra's

I put 35K miles on my street glide, which has the shorter rear suspension, it's really not bad but you wind up running a firmer suspension to prevent bottoming. If you're on good roads it's really not an issue. The loss in lean angle is only about 1 degree IIRC.

The Ultra is just a bit nicer to have, no more need to strap a soft bag to the rack and pull it off every night. Love having a tour pack and the extra inch of suspension travel.

As a retired motor you might miss that 1 degree but for the majority of riders who don't push everything to the limit they won't. I could navigate the motor officer qualifier course on my street glide.
My CVO road King came with the 12" hand adjustable premium shocks. The were ok. My 15 CVO Road Glide ultra came with 13" air shocks which sucked, felt like bike would wash out in hard curves. With 500 miles on the bike I switched to 13 in Ohlins, bike road good handled good.

When I traded the 15 on the 17 CVO Street glide, I took the ohlins off, had them rebuilt and put them on the King. The king rides much better and handles a little better. Nice to have the little extra lean angle.

I was glad to get rid of the Ultra. Tour pack was off unless I was on a trip. I don't like the extra weight. Don't like the look.

I like to push it in the curves, and hit my boards occasionally. I also ride the box and such, so the weight up high is no help.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Cup holders standard.
Fi
Thats a disgusting image. And next step, fries holder.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
If Harley looks at current trends, they should come out with a stock bagger sporting a 26" front wheel.
Originally Posted by YPD485
Reminds me of this. Looks ridiculous.
I agree but lots of riders love the look.

Originally Posted by baka1969
Does that mean we can then officially close the 'where do you put your gas cap' thread?
You can try but I don't think it'll ever happen. Sometime, possibly years in the future, some newbie will resurrect it.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:11 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

Does that mean we can then officially close the 'where do you put your gas cap' thread?

When electric Harleys become the only bike available, the gas cap thread closes.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

When electric Harleys become the only bike available, the gas cap thread closes.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,147 Likes on 6,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I agree.

My only fear is a unified chassis could bloat the Dyna beyond what it's supposed to be weight wise (at least to my way of thinking).
It is also possible to do the opposite. In other words, the touring bikes go on a diet.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 PM
JustsoIcanupvotethis
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groupw
...... with the RGU in yellow and i'm back in the market
Make that a yella FXDC with the M8 and I will be deep in debt again!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:05 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
....In other words, the touring bikes go on a diet.

Desperately needed, and not just touring the entire line up.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave

My CVO road King came with the 12" hand adjustable premium shocks. The were ok. My 15 CVO Road Glide ultra came with 13" air shocks which sucked, felt like bike would wash out in hard curves. With 500 miles on the bike I switched to 13 in Ohlins, bike road good handled good.
I don't know about the CVO RK suspension length, never really considered it since the CVO is out of my buying range.

As far as the rest I don't have any issues in the box or running twisties with my stock suspension and tourpack, If I wanted to really rail I'd be on an FJR1300.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I agree.

My only fear is a unified chassis could bloat the Dyna beyond what it's supposed to be weight wise (at least to my way of thinking).
After spending a week on a road king m8, it would be a travesty for the Dyna line to lose what makes them a Dyna. To me that is the significantly lighter feel and better performance all around. I know they aren't exactly light, but when I threw my leg over my LRS and moved the handlebars, it just felt right. The RK felt like a pig. Don't get me wrong, nice bike and engine. If I decide to eventually get a touring bike it's gonna be the first one I look at.....just NOT a Dyna!!

I could definitely see a unified frame and the M8 ruining the Dyna. I think just the M8 would be a good move for now though.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-17-2017)

Quick Reply: So What Does Harley Do Next For 2018?