General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 11:36 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Unless you are set on that model/style...For that or not much more you can find a nice Road King or Electra police model, way newer.. 07 would be a great choice......that would be my recommendation..

Example" http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Harley-...m=282320348450

I love police bikes..this one looks nice and maintained, Id go for it in a minute..103, six speed...and its make offer too!!...and cheaper that that 1999 model!!! (or the same after shipping) search around..chopper exchange, ebay, etc...

My first bike after a 25 year hiatus was a police bike..had it shipped up from Mississippi..great bike...

good luck!! Post pics when you get one!!!

more: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycles/...+police&_sop=2

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 01-14-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:25 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Since you're a nooBie, get your instruction out of the way, then get a "starter motorcycle." Ride it for a year, then sell it and go shopping for your Harley (dream bike.)

Old 01-15-2017, 09:19 AM
TBT3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Excellent condition KBB retail for that bike and year is $6,625. With all the low mileage, used bikes out there, seems priced a little high for the bike you mention. But maybe it has add-ons like Stage 1 and sissy bar?

Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM
BigGrouch
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, just the information I was after. I always wanted a Harley, but I'm not a biker, hence the one year with one. Just so I tried it. I was planning on going $6000 tops, the bike looks perfect. The dealer is well respected and go through the used bikes. The class is free, which is worth something. I also noted the KBB value, so I didn't feel the price on this one was outrageous. If I knew Harleys I'd be more comfortable with a private party where I'd likely get a better price. Maybe I'll look at dealers farther away. Or maybe I'll press these guys harder, it won't be riding season here for another few months so maybe they're desperate to sell.
Again, thanks for the info.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 AM
BigGrouch
1st Gear
Old 01-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Curt5811
Road Captain
Received 175 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGrouch
Hi everyone, new guy here. Thinking about buying my first Harley. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 30 years, since I sold my Kawasaki 750. Local dealer has a nice 1997 FXSTC, 14,000 miles for $6900. Looks nice, has forward controls added. They said they ran this through their shop and all is good. Any opinions on this model? Something I should look out for? They offer a new rider course with a purchase, I will take it. Just planning on short weekend trips and such, and will likely only keep it for a year and sell it. Opinions?
I would be a little leery. I think the dealer took it in trade and wants to make a quick flip. As others have said, it's overpriced given the market conditions now.

A 20 year old bike with only 14K on it, spent quite a few years sitting in storage at some point. Was is stored properly? What does the inside of the tank look like? What about the carb? Over that amount of time, gasoline turns to crap, and engine oil deteriorates and turns acidic. The bike might be just fine.... but might not. It would suck to see repair bills within a short time of buying.

I'm not saying don't buy, just that sitting on a dealer's showroom room floor, all shined up, can hide a multitude of issues. Go in to it eyes open.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:41 AM
BigGrouch
1st Gear

I thought about the storage thing. I'm a mechanic, gasoline these days can go bad in 30 days in the heat. I think they have some warranty on used bikes that go through their shop. They have a 1996 bike with 400 miles on it. It got new tires, brake lines, brake calipers, everything gone through because it was just sitting in a storage unit, not properly stored. Thank you for the opinions.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:12 PM
TBT3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGrouch
I think I thought looks like an awesome bike! It looks like the exhaust may not be stock. Ask the dealer about it. Depending on what they are, that's additional $500 or more value. Grips aren't stock either. Some of those upgrades could be why they have the bike priced a little higher. Bottom line is if you like the bike, feel like it's a fair deal, and can afford it, then go for it!

Old 01-15-2017, 03:25 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by TBT3
I think I thought looks like an awesome bike! It looks like the exhaust may not be stock. Ask the dealer about it. Depending on what they are, that's additional $500 or more value. Grips aren't stock either. Some of those upgrades could be why they have the bike priced a little higher. Bottom line is if you like the bike, feel like it's a fair deal, and can afford it, then go for it!
I'm a sucker for a redhead and always thought the Softail Custom was one of the best looking Softails. I prefer the look of the FX front end over the FL. Plus having an Evo is a great thing. Even though the last Evo rolled off the factory floor over 15 years ago, parts are still readily available in the aftermarket. The bike looks to be in nice shape.

That said, they're asking more than I'd pay. It's worth what you're willing to pay for it though.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:22 PM
TOTLKOS
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Hello, I'm 52(53 in March)and have been riding bikes for well over 35 years. I bought my first bike-'00 Fatboy w/13688 km's- when I was 50. I didn't even have a license so it was sort of like an incentive to get one. I took a M/C course and rode that bike for 15K Km's then just recently traded it in on a new '17 Slim S OGD. Life is too short to wait. Buy/ride what you want 'cause you never know. In other words " Take life by the Horns" and if owning a HOG is what your heart desires so be it. For me it was a HOG or nothing. I wasn't willing to settle for second best........and these Harleys are only getting better. My 2 cents.......

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first Harley