General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:50 PM
BFREE
Grand HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 163 Posts

When you trade or sell a bike to the dealer they give you nothing for upgrades. The $6,995 is asking price. I agree that you should shoot them a low offer and walk away. it's winter, they'll counter offer. Very nice looking Softail Custom.

Last edited by BFREE; 01-15-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:53 PM
BigGrouch
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BFREE
When you trade or sell a bike to the dealer they give you nothing for upgrades. The $6,995 is asking price. I agree that you should shoot them a low offer and walk away. it's winter, they'll counter offer. Very nice looking Wide Glide.
They give the seller nothing for upgrades, but will charge the buyer for them. This is a big dealer that sells a lot of bikes. They may not care if it sits til spring. I understand their salesmen are not on commission, they were zero pressure. It can't hurt to ask.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:21 PM
BFREE
Grand HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 163 Posts

Check out Wild Fire in Villa Park on their website. The guy owns about 7 dealerships in the area. All of their used inventory for all of the shops is listed. You can deal with the shop nearest you and they will move the bike to you.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:42 PM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The nice thing about buying from a dealership is you ought to be able to work in a warranty, at least to the extent of having a bike with all fluids changed, brakes checked and serviced if needed, clutch/throttle adjusted, belt adjusted, good tires, and the bike given a once over and a promise it's free of mechanical problems - 30 days or 300 miles or something of them warrantying what they are selling.

Now if I was buying a used bike at a dealer and they wouldn't entertain that conversation then I'd walk, no sense paying more at a dealer if they won't even stand behind it for a few hundred miles - even used car dealerships will offer you some period of warranty on something that is likely much more problem prone.

As far as the price, yah you are getting ripped off, you could get a bike that's 10 years newer for the same $$.. but generally that's what I'd expect at a dealer on an older bike - they aren't going to put a price on it's that's too cheap otherwise it just looks bad and will deter people from buying new. Private sale is the way to go.

The most important thing about buying a harley is to buy one, ride it, and not spend years shopping and thinking about it. I had a lot of things with handlebars and my first motorcycle was a harley. Take a class if it makes you feel better, can't hurt, but most importantly take it easy, pay attention, and put some miles on. Learn how to stop fast and how to ride the thing really slow without putting your feet down so you don't look like a jackass.

Jon

Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Seems spendy to me for that year.
I had an 07 fxstc w 44k on it that I sold for less than they are asking. Only had one small scratch on the rear fender from me removing the sissy when I was frunk as duck.
It was a great bike. I'd still own it but the wife had back surgery and couldn't take the potholes anymore ( it was dumped in the weeds in the rear)
I'd try a low ball as has been suggested.