General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draggin kevlar shirts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

I'm a firm believer in the "Something is better than Nothing" mentality.....

Wearing a half helmet is better than no helmet
Wearing Levi's is better than shorts
Wearing shoes is better than flip flops
Wearing a long sleeve Kevlar shirt is better than a tank top

Even though there are ALOT better and more protective alternatives having a little protection is better than none. How much I can't say but it's a start in the right direction

Old 01-16-2017, 03:17 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

For what it is worth.
I have a pair of yellow kevlar double layer working sleeves with the thumb hole that cost me about 10 USA dollars total delivered for both sleeves from ebay.
They are used to protect my arms from mid palm to past the elbows during certain projects when burns or cuts are a possibility.
Like working around a hot car motor or near a hot motorcycle muffler.
At about $10 are inexpensive but rather useful and offer some protection.
The oils stains never come out of them regardless of wash cycle.
They are also very hot and it brings me tremendous relief when they are removed after wearing less than 30 minutes.
I would imagine that something lined with kevlar only at impact points might be less hot.
You may wish to consider review of the sleeves described to decide if is the correct thing for you.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:27 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,019 Likes on 2,822 Posts

"....this high tech shirt also incorporates adjustable Velcro® tabs at the cuffs to prevent riding up and flapping."

What's high tech about a shirt with a few Kevlar fibers woven in it??? Not like it's bullet proof or that it won't shred or rip when it skids along the ground. And then there's this:

"Please note: The natural color of this protective fiber is canary yellow. Once exposed to sunlight it will deepen to a goldenrod shade. Slight variation in color (as well as the color change) is not only normal, but to be expected."

Hmmmm. This tells me that UV rays may be having an effect on these shirts so there goes any implied or perceived protection benefits one may imagine they'd get from the Kevlar fibers. So all in all, judging by the some of the comments and the above company disclaimer, after a few rides in the hot summer sun I'll be left with a $140 off color long sleeve T-shirt that itches!!! Such a deal.

Last edited by Hey Man; 01-16-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 AM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 330 Likes on 180 Posts

I have this, so no need for Kevlar.

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:20 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Bought one of these at J&P in Daytona a couple years ago. http://www.ssgear.com/usa_english/bl...oto-shirt.html
I wear it riding on slightly chilly days where a T shirt isn't enough. Yes, there's some Kevlar in it but I wouldn't count on it to protect me very much.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 AM
LeftyRighty
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I got the Kevlar shirt. All the negatives mentioned are essentially true - itchy, hot when not moving, color change, etc.
But, there are negatives to all protective gear.
I wear a tee under the Kevlar, removes the itch, and the Kevlar shirt is an open weave with good air flow thru the fabric, so, not uncomfortable when rolling in hot weather. The shirt-tail is long enough, if fully tucked in, I don't think riding-up in a slide would be an issue (but, then, I ain't gone down yet).
It's what I wear when it's too hot for leather. And, yes, pricey, but I think it's a quality product.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Well you got me interested I just ordered one new off eBay for $90. Free shipping

Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Everybody has to make their own decision. I used to be all the gear all the time and it sucked the fun out of riding, I rode the bike less and less, to the point where unless the plan was to burn an entire tank of fuel before the first stop I wouldn't bother taking the bike.

If it's hot I'm not putting on armored gear and kevlar. We're all big boys here accept your level of risk and move on. I wear gear to keep me warm and dry, that's it.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,019 Likes on 2,822 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid1200
I have this, so no need for Kevlar.

LOL. About the same level of protection for less than 1/10th of the price! Now that's usin' yer dipstick.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

I have one of the dragin Jackets in the classifieds with armor for less than half price.. I won it last year in their contest. Its XL and NEW

Quick Reply: Draggin kevlar shirts