General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humor me and help me choose the coolest softy

Old 01-16-2017, 02:28 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I'm biased and I admit it.
If it was me, I'd definitely go for the Springer.

I had an '87 FXSTC and I currently have a Heritage Springer, both of which I think are classic styling, which is basically a combination of the bike in the picture.
Once you get used to the forward controls you'll like them but I found that I had on long trips I had to occasionally use the passenger foot pegs for some "butt" relief.
I put a lot of miles on the '87 and the only problem that I had (with the design) was that I hit some chunks of concrete that had fallen off the bottom of an overpass onto the freeway and bent the 21" wheel.

Another plus is that it is very unlikely that H-D will ever build another Springer and I think they may appreciate in value in time.
My Springer will be in my garage until I'm no longer around.

As for the FB (no offense to FB owners) I remember when the FB was introduced and I first saw it at the dealership. Gray bike with yellow rocker gaskets!

The only reason that I could see in going for the FB would be if you were planning on putting a windshield and bags on it for trips.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:17 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

The gaskets were not yellow on those old fat boys. It was the middle plate of the rocker boxes that was yellow..

That assembly is made a lot different than the twin cam's.

For a short time, it was fashionable to have that middle plate painted or anodized various colors.

In the case of the early Fat Boy, there is an urban legend concerning the two atomic bombs dropped on Japan. There are several styling cues that suggest that as well as some claiming the name is a combination of the name of the two bombs, Fat Man and Little Boy

Last edited by Prot; 01-16-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:06 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,528 Likes on 683 Posts

Of the two presented, I would go with the Springer. There is something so cool about that.

Having said that, and understanding that I am biased, look at the Slim. Definite old school minimized look. But again, I am biased.

Attached Thumbnails Humor me and help me choose the coolest softy-img_2405.jpg   Humor me and help me choose the coolest softy-img_2411.jpg   Humor me and help me choose the coolest softy-img_2412.jpg  
Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Default Ditto

Originally Posted by Geoff
I like the springer, but I'd ditch the apes.

EXACTLY this - BTW whats the asking price on these?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Springer all the way. There has never been a sweeter looking softail than a springer. It really is disappointing that Harley discontinued making them. Smh

Old 01-16-2017, 11:39 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Springer if it was my vote and I would leave it alone. I like the bars.

Some people dont like how a springer rides. Did you ride both bikes? You may like the springer better, but hate how the front end feels.

My $ 0.02 of course.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

From post # 38 "FB is 8K will have to ship. Spring is 10.5K. I will do better. Springer sounds great." Those are ask $. Also the FB will need a rear tire. All things being equal, the difference will be no more than $1500 by the time it's in my garage and ready for the road.

Thanks for the continued replies!!

Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-Mike
Been on a mission to select a Harley. As far as model, primary mission/purpose, or even maintenance requirements - I am all 'good' (and a decent mechanic with a metal mill). Did enough research. Buying based on what excites me - nothing more at this point. Strengths and limitations of various models pose no obstacle. A Softy will satisfy

But which one??? Here's two that I would try to pick up this week. While they may be worlds apart, I am stuck on the fence. I want people/riders 'in-the-know' to go 'oooh, ahhh' just as much as I do. Call me shallow...

Both 2003. FB has 12K miles, fxsts has 27K. fxsts about $1500 more - guessing (negligible as far as I am concerned).

Also, if you can make either even better, what would you do to it?? [bars, seats, flr boards, exhaust, lights, PAINT...]

Thanks everyone!
Personally, I like Springers so does that answer your question for ya?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:19 AM
JeepXK
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like both with the FB Having a slight advantage only because of the apes on the springer...... Good luck with your decision! lol

Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Without a doubt, the Springer would be my choice!

I got comments all the time when I had mine.

Btw, that's a factory paint job on the springer as someone mentioned it wasn't!

Apes seem pretty tall, might want to think about changing them. Virginia has a handlebar law, may wanna check into it.

Good luck and Enjoy!

YB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Humor me and help me choose the coolest softy