General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And yet another seat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Gerard
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And yet another seat question

First thing I'd like to say is I did search this forum, other forums and the entire internet and am more confused than ever. I started my search for a new seat 4 days ago after me and the GF took a day trip up to Blowing Rock NC for nice scenic ride and to pick up some mountain grown apples (yummy!). It was a 75 mile trip each way and the gf had me stop every 30 miles because her butt and tailbone were screaming, not to mention to put out the flames on my own ****. It's a given...the stock Heritage Classic driver seat and pillion sucks and needs to be replaced asap. The problem I am having is I'm 6'5" with a bad lower back and need a seat with a driver backrest. I was about to pull the trigger on a Mustang Vintage wide w/backrest but found out it would move me too far forward. Raising me up would be a plus since I have long legs but can't live with being pushed forward. I was told that the Mustangs with removable backrest will bring you closer since they need more room for the backrest bracket. I then strongly considered the Corbin dual touring...I really like the design of a removable backrest for both driver and passenger. Since I really don't like the stock sissy bar and pad I figured this would be the ticket but found out this seat will lower me more than the stock seat. I am now looking at the Saddleman Explorer w/backrest but haven't heard much about them only that the gel gets hot in the sun. Anyone have a Saddlemen? Will it move me up/down front or back?. Any other suggestions?. It is also essential that my gf have a happy butt...if it's happy then me and my ears are happy.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:16 PM
spartns
Road Master
Default RE: And yet another seat question

I've got the Sundowner and the wife & I love it. But, I'm not as tall as you are. Have you looked at the Harley Tall Boy? Same shape as the Sundowner and moves you back. great seat for a lot less money that the others.

Chris

Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

I have a BAR Industires Hitchhiker seat on my Night Train, and it has fantastic lower back support. Check them out.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

i also have the sundowner. from harley. i love the seat. i think you can also add the pneumaticly adjustible rider backrest to this seat which would give you unlimited adjusability to the backrest. i had that on a heritage from 00 and loved it. my wife loves the sundowner seat as a passenger. we ride lots of miles together. good luck

Old 10-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Nailz
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the Corbin with the back rest. It should show in the pic. It is very comforable for my wife and me - she hated the stock seat as did I. All of the above seats are nice as well. A quality seat really make the ride!

Later and Ride Safe,
Nailz
Name:  02-Road-King.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  128.1 KB

Old 10-07-2005, 09:05 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive got the Saddlemen Renegade1 gel seat and it's the best thing I've done to the bike. I had the same problem you do with the stock seat after about 45min. I would have to get off and walk around becouse I would get it so bad in the tail bone I just couldn't go any longer. I put the Saddlemen on and could'nt belive it now Ive got no problem running it tell I need to gas up. The only thing is it does drop you about an 1" but it wont push you forward and the seat it self is not set-up for a back rest.

Name:  seat1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  50.3 KB

Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Nailz
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's my Wide Glide with the Corbin gunfighter and lady. A nice seat for longer rides. I never got sore with this seat. I'm kind of partial to Corbin - they really seam to make a nice product.

Name:  01-Wide-Glide.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  93.6 KB

Later and Ride Safe,
Nailz

Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Wife and I have always had Corbins. They are hard and take a little getting use to, but they are the best I have ridden.

The Corbin will lower you a little, but it will also move you back about 1 1/2". In the Softail seat, it has a high back plus the backrest, and gives a lot of support.

We ride long distances at times and the Corbin is a 600 mile a day seat. Longer if you are really used to riding.

Just an opinion.

Regards,

Bill

Old 10-08-2005, 12:04 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

corbins on both mine! i didnt know they even made another brand!

Old 10-08-2005, 09:45 AM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys and girls with the Sundowner seat setup...glad to hear you like it I was thinking about buying one but was worried it would not make enough of a difference it still being a Harley product and all. You really felt it was worth the ungrade did you? I want a long distance comfort seat for both myself and my spouse. Feedback please. I too have been doing my homework on seats but I am still not sure. It comes down to a balance of cost and comfort.

Campdreamer

Quick Reply: And yet another seat question