General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for a Salesman

Old 05-31-2007, 03:42 AM
tom_hd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for a Salesman

Hi

I will be joining a new HD dealership from August. I have read all the good & bad experiences in the forum. My question is this: What tips can you as customers give me?? What do you expect from a salesman?? What do you like/dislike about a salesman???

I will really appreciate your feedback on this as i will be using this info to deliver a better service.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Tips for a Salesman

HONESTY ! NO BULLSH*T call a spade a spade and when a customer is looking for a certain type of bike with certain specs, try like hell to find that bike.

without customers you have no job

with happy customers you'll have a job for life

Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 AM
bluesdude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greet people when they come in.

Remember names.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:26 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T push---help them decide what is right for them (not the dealership)---let them know that you will personally help them if they ever have issues--never badmouth another dealership (even if the customer does, just be polite and assure them that their experience with you will be different than any negative experience they may have had before you)---Don't do the "if you do the deal today" routine, if you are going to throw something in let them know that you will throw it in today, tomorrow, next week..it is NOT conditional.---If they are shopping dealerships do not rush them, instead, encourage them to shop, assure them that you are giving them a good deal, and also assure them that your service to them will be second to none and you will always go above and beyond to help them.---Havefun, enjoy yourself and look happy to be there---Be a friend and a consultant, not a salesman.

Do this and you will quickly be the top sales associate at the dealership.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Ben U

Know your product and how it applies to each individual. Respect your customer's values, they won't be the same as yours. What seems important to your customers may be not important to you ... listen to what they're telling you. Always be honest, never loose your integrity. Don't forget them after the deal, greet them when they return from chrome.

I love my HD dealership but the one thing that pissed me during my deal was my salesman completely left the store when I was talking with someone and never shook my hand before I left ...

Old 05-31-2007, 08:00 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Sales has the least to do with happy customers. In all my 45 years of buying everything, it is service that brings return business. No service and I won't step foot in the door again, ever!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 AM
bruef
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

never badmouth another dealership
Oh yeah! This is a good one I hadn't thought of! It's always been my experience and belief that people who are untrusting are usually the ones who are the least trustworthy. Same general principal applies here - the salesman who feels the need to rip on other dealers is going to immediately put me on the alert about his own scruples and values and fairness. Keep everything positive.
And like others said here, don't B.S. your potential customers. For instance when I want to trade in a bike or a car, I know perfectly well that they're not going to give me as much for it as they're going to sell it for. I'm pefectly aware that they're in business to make a profit. And I'm sure not everybody does this but I'll go online and check NADA & Kelley retail and trade in values on what I'm trading and what I'm buying. If a dealer offers me $2k more for my trade-in than it's worth but then wants $2k more for what I'm buying, I'm going to walk because even though it's essentially a fair deal, I'm not going to deal with somebody who feels the need to jerk me around with B.S. numbers.
Beyond all that - and this is my personal opinion - I feel a salesman should make themself available to the customer ("Hi, how you doing? Can I help you with something today?") and then if I say "Just looking", back the f*ck off! I've had situations where I had them hovering over me after I made it clear I'm not buying today, and I've had situations where I was seriously interested and didn't have a single person say "boo" to me. There's a fine-line you gotta walk somewhere in the middle there and I'm not sure exactly where it is (which is why I don't and never will work in sales )

Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess number one would be: Just be honest.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 AM
dan69co
Tourer

How about 50% off on all add ons?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 AM
corgi
Road Master

Honesty. follow up is important. nothing bugs me more than when someone says they'll get back to me and never do. call customers after the sale to see how things are going. resolve anyissues quickly. Remember that sales is not just the transaction, its the after as well. treat people right and they will follow you anywhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips for a Salesman