General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxidation problem on my just newly bought wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 AM
bigbadharley86
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
First off, it's a vehicle and will get dirty + show wear. A little oxidation isn't going to kill it, or make it run like ****.

Second, try some never dull on the forks and leave the "oily" residue on until you take it out this coming spring.
​​​​​​​ Iceman, I understand there will be wear and tear on the bike. But as I explained earlier the bike was in pristine condition when I bought it. With only 7000 miles on it. I don't know about you but I like to keep my things nice. A little oxidation on the bike is a big deal to me. I was going to try the never doll Also. Thanks

Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 AM
bigbadharley86
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
Take a towel and put some CLR rust remover on it and clean the rust off. It is mild enough that it won't damage the surface. After you remove the surface rust you can put some WD-40 to keep the area free of rust.

Once Spring gets here and the weather warms up a bit you will have to paint the area with clear paint or the rust will eventually come back again.
​​​​​​​ there is no rust on the bike. Just minor oxidation spots just starting to appear. I was trying to tend to them before it turned into rust. But I was trying to not damage the clear coat in the process. Thanks

Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Front forks are aluminum so the fork tubes will not rust. And if they are clear-coated using Never Dull won't work.

I am thinkinhg that since concrete is lime based, it is the moisture in the air reacting with the concrete.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Although unheated, your garage is warmer than the outside air. Condensation is forming on the inside of your garage. This moisture and humidity is causing the residue on your bike.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadharley86
​​​​​​​ there is no rust on the bike. Just minor oxidation spots just starting to appear.
Oxidation IS rust.
or;
Rust IS oxidation.
It's happening to all metals all the time in our world.
Clear coat, waxes, top coats, oils are all used to keep "oxygen" away from metal surfaces.
Once it starts you have to stay on top of it. It's probably started long before you bought the bike.
Just clean and polish like everything else you want to keep in good condition

Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You have to cover the concrete under the bike. I used to have the same problem. I purchased a rubber mat that goes in a horse stable from the local tractor/farm store. Never been a problem since. The other ideas are also good. But this solved my problem with concrete condensation.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Salt or chlorine.

These were my first go to thoughts.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

As stated above I used the long rubber mat to park the bike on. I also went to Home Depot and got pink insulation board and put it about 5 foot high on a concrete wall next to the bikes. I never had a problem in six years storing it in the garage that way. A word of caution with the rubber mat. Do not let the kickstand hit the mat. It will not slide and lock in place and the bike will roll forward and fall. If the kickstand lands on the mat just cut a hole there so it could slide when you set the bike on the stand.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadharley86
I just bought a 2003 wide glide about 4 weeks ago. It's been sitting in my garage due to the fact of Cold weather/salt on the roads. It was in mint condition when I bought it. Now I am starting to see some minor surface oxidation marks on the front fork. Only on one side. Coincidentally the side that faces the concrete when in kickstand position with handle bars Turned to the left. I believe it is coming from the moisture in the concrete due to the fact that I don't have a heated garage. I was wondering if anybody knows how to get rid of the marks without damaging/having to remove the clear coat. like I said, it is just starting to appear. The bike was not like that 4 weeks ago when I bought it. PLEASE!! Someone help me resolve this problem before it's too late and I have to strip, polish the forks and re clear coat them. Thanks
Unfortunately, this may be your only option at this time. Sure, you can insulate the existing metal from further oxidation, but once it starts, as it already has, you gotta be proactive now. Look for a more durable clear coating, once you get them polished. Remember, it's a 15 year old motorcycle. It should be ridden.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
tgmotoman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

14 year old bike starts to have minor oxidation, sounds like the bike is pretty good. hope ya get it squared away.

Quick Reply: Oxidation problem on my just newly bought wide glide