General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What products are relabeled with a HD logo?

Old 02-19-2017, 06:05 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

One thing, please tell me what parts or merchandise is NOT relabeled, not only for Harley Davidson. Only the parts they make their own as Motor Company are 'genuine'. The rest is purchased from special suppliers, manufacturing parts with the mark 'Harley Davidson'. The next production charge is labeled "Honda" or "Kawasaki" or what brandname ever. To comfort you all, it is not HD alone. The entire industry, from motorparts to paint and from food products to toiletpaper consists of 'manufacturing under brand name for a certain production charge'. Or do you think that your light bulbs are special manufactured for HD? No, a certain number of a production charge is specialy labeled for HD, the next for another brand and their own brand name. Your marmelade is not manufactured only under the name of your supermarket but your supermarket brand name is one of the many they produce as the same product under different brand names.
Once the cheap outdoor paint of supermarket in the Netherlands was famous for its quality and endurance. The tins were printed with the name of the supermarket involved. When I got an order to re-organize a professional paint factory who was famous for his high quality paint, amongst others in the heavy duty professional marine paint business, I discovered that the surplus of every production charge of the professional paint was packed in tins of the supermarket and delivered to them. So you see, what you see on labeling is not always what you get.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Thanks for all the information everyone.

How about chemicals? Know who makes their soap, wax, and other assorted cleaners?
Hard to tell. Every so often the bean counters put out bids to numerous manufacturers for products that meet the HD requirements and specs. If they are currently using Manufacturer A, but Manufacturer B meets the standards at a lower price they will switch to "B." Their wax might be Meguiars today, but next year it could be Mothers or Collinite.

The real question shouldn't be "who makes it for them?" It should be, "Does their stuff work?" I don't care if a chemical is brewed in a vat in somebody's basement in Tentflap, AZ. If it works, it works.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,989 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Don't know if they still do but Champion used to make the spark plugs for Harley to their specs. I always ran Champs in my Shovelhead but the Harley Champs sucked. I tried them twice and both times at least one of them crapped out within a few weeks.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:31 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i don't know about today but about 8 years ago or so, a machine shop here in green bay was machining the pistons for HD.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 933 Posts

When I wear my HD shirt I am automatically worth 50% more. (I told my boss that...it didn't fly...)

Old 10-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This place makes Harley crankshafts. I've seen the marked pallets in the engine plant.

https://www.aam.com/

So to answer the question; just about everything is made by someone else. HD either assembles it, re-labels it or both. To be fair, that's the same thing car manufacturers do.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 10-08-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,695 Likes on 1,985 Posts

The 5R6A spark plugs for my Evo are made by Champion. Hold one up next to a Champion Rn12YC and you’ll see the same insulator shape and same knurling and machining on the plug shell.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:26 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

The tour pack latches are on lots of equipment here at work. Must have been a "right off the shelf" part.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

I have an HD branded battery tender...with the HD sticker right over the top of the regular battery tender sticker

Old 10-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,556 Likes on 9,789 Posts

I have a pair of HD boots. Rumor has it they are Timberline. if I tatoo HD on a woman's ***, does that make her worth more?

Last edited by Super Glidester; 10-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What products are relabeled with a HD logo?