General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 From Amarillo to Santa Monica

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Irie1
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As soon as you cross into New Mexico, Route 66 turns to gravel for about 10 miles. NM and AZ are pretty good, especially from Kingman to the CA border. We lost the route in CA (yes we had the maps). Lots of closures, detours. Have fun!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Stop for a slice of pie at MidPoint Cafe in Adrian. There are some good, still in operation, examples of the old motels in places like Tucumcari.

Since Route 66 actually has/had several paths through New Mexico you'll have to decide if you're going to head North through Santa Fe or stay South through Albuquerque. (the Santa Fe route would be my choice)

There a nice little Route 66 museum in Barstow in the train station; it's worth a look if you're not pressed for time.

As others have said you don't need to pack a lot of gear if you don't mind doing a load of laundry every few days. If you have the room a spare gallon of gas wouldn't hurt. You should be fine without it but there are a few stretches where gas can be scarce.

Regardless of what clothes you take pack some good rain gear. Nothing will make you more uncomfortable than been wet and cold.

The bottom line is just have fun and enjoy the ride.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Don't forget to take a camera to show us stay at home dudes what it's like !...b.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:54 AM
dotcom2000
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The last 50 or 60 miles is nothing but ill timed street lights, boarded up stores, and lots of traffic. At times you'll think you made a wrong turn and ended up in Tijuana. Stop at the Wigwam Motel in Rialto, then its just a 2 or 3 hr ride to Santa Monica.Be careful where you stop after leaving Rialto. The mountains north of 66 offer some great rides. If yo have time do the back way thru Mentone up to Big Bear Lake and Idlewild out by Palm Springs, both great rides. A must is the Rock Store out in Hollywood Hills. Google maps is your friend. Have fun -ride safe.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Emock94
Background: I'm 22 and have a 2016 883. I'm planing this trip with a few of my buddies and am looking at saddle bags, sissy bars, and new tires. I have highway pegs and a mustang fastback seat and a windshield. My question is what else should I do to my sporty and what are realistic mileage goals? Thank you in advance!!

TLDR Route 66 Amarillo to Santa Monica, realistic mileage goals and bike mods.
I would switch to the 4.5 gallon sportster fuel tank. That extra 25-30% fuel will make all your trips that much better.
Stage 1 perf. upgrade only.
The highway pegs are a good addition. Moving your legs around during long hours in the saddle can give you a little extra range between stops.
A "Go Cruise" throttle lock.
A "T-Bag" duffle for the passenger seat. (When filled firmly, it makes a great backrest for you.)
FF helmet
Visine eye wash stuff.
Ear plugs - you would be surprised how protecting your hearing can help with comfort on long trips.
An Airhawk pneumatic seat cushion or beaded seat pad (personal preference).
Anti monkey-butt powder. (Yes, it really works, especially in really hot weather!)

Daily distance depends on what your goals are and the time you allow yourself for this trip. 350 mile days are fairly easy and will allow you time to stop for sightseeing, leisurely gas stops and meal breaks making for a more enjoyable trip experience. 450-500 miles per day are doable for maximal mileage unless you have high winds or other weather to deal with. Remember too that taking the path less traveled you won't get as many miles as you could burn up if taking the slab.

What time of year are you thinking for this trip? This has a great bearing on what you bring due to temperature variations.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:54 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Avoid the stretch between Ludlow Ca and Barstow Ca, stay on the 40. Pavement is not good. Really not good. Before that the part that runs through Amboy Ca is great and well worth seeing.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:14 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,133 Likes on 11,098 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
At 22 you shouldn't need anything more than a toothbrush, extra pair of jeans and a couple changes of underwear and t-shirts and a bed roll. As stated above, fuel will be your biggest challenge.
When I was 18, I rented a Ducati 250 in Rome. All I packed was a jug of wine and a loaf of bread.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:53 AM
PrkChps
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go visit adventurerider.com and check out the sportster section. There is info from others who have done very long trips on HD Sportsters. There is also a lot of good info on packing for a trip and what you need and don't need. (There is a little bit of brand-related teasing, but it's all good. All brands are welcome, and the info is very valuable.)

Old 02-21-2017, 06:13 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

It would be pretty cool to say you did that stretch on the original Route 66. But like others have said, a ton of it just isn't there anymore. I would pick the good stretches to ride but avoid some of the rest of them. We have made long trips out west and generally stay off interstates. However, when your U.S. Route or State Route takes you through a large city it is a quick way to turn a projected 400 miles day into a long 200 mile day. We will use the big slabs to avoid large cities and get around them quickly.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:59 AM
fishslapr
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PrkChps
Go visit adventurerider.com and check out the sportster section. There is info from others who have done very long trips on HD Sportsters. There is also a lot of good info on packing for a trip and what you need and don't need. (There is a little bit of brand-related teasing, but it's all good. All brands are welcome, and the info is very valuable.)
^^^this^^^

a very informative site. I agree with everyone, at 22 it'll be a breeze to do 500/600 miles a day. My buddy & I did that on these bikes at 54...Also, the larger gas tank is a great thing.

Quick Reply: Route 66 From Amarillo to Santa Monica