General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abc's of touring contest

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:09 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. Tiki
thank you! I have been looking for that as well.

The problem that i have been is having is that as soon as you sign-up to submit pictures, it takes you right back to the 'my submissions' page everytime.
yep!!!

Old 02-24-2017, 07:16 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I know it's on the HOG site - - somewhere, but I can usually never find it. What were the steps you took to find it???
Never saw "all" the names in the HOG magazine - just the 3 top winners. All the entrants and their scores were printed on the website.

Looks like this year they are scaling back. Before you only needed 77 points for all the prizes, now it's 100 points and the top prize is only a pin/patch and a $50 gift card for Norscot - -BIG %$# DEAL. I think I'll pass this time. Not worth all the extra travel.

Thanks for the form etc.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...n_US/home.html

community --> Harley Owners Group --> Member Sign In
Sign In
Membership --> Support

Frequently Asked Questions Are Displayed
I need an ABCs of Touring entry form.
click on link to ABCs of Touring page
click on ABCs Official Rules

Yes, I also only saw the top three winners listed in the Hog magazine. Many times I've seen the rules to different contests state that one could send a self addressed envelope to the group running the contest for a list of winners. I've never seen anything like that listed for the ABCs contest though. A call to Hog would probably get you an answer.

I've never participated in this contest since I always thought it was kind of gay to take all these pictures holding up a magazine for each photo. I guess that's how they make sure each picture is current for the year of the contest. Anyways, maybe I'll take a few photos this year. Getting 50 points doesn't seem too difficult.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:33 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...n_US/home.html

community --> Harley Owners Group --> Member Sign In
Sign In
Membership --> Support

Frequently Asked Questions Are Displayed
I need an ABCs of Touring entry form.
click on link to ABCs of Touring page
click on ABCs Official Rules

Yes, I also only saw the top three winners listed in the Hog magazine. Many times I've seen the rules to different contests state that one could send a self addressed envelope to the group running the contest for a list of winners. I've never seen anything like that listed for the ABCs contest though. A call to Hog would probably get you an answer.

I've never participated in this contest since I always thought it was kind of gay to take all these pictures holding up a magazine for each photo. I guess that's how they make sure each picture is current for the year of the contest. Anyways, maybe I'll take a few photos this year. Getting 50 points doesn't seem too difficult.
Got it! Thanks. I print all the names from the website - at least I use to. Don't know if they've changed that now also.

Don't tell Bubba that it's gay!!

I get most of my county pics in front of the sheriff's offices, but you can just take a picture of a highway sign that says _____ County.
I don't hold the magazine. I clip it to my mirror. You only have to be in 6 photos.

I get 24 of the cities just within 50 miles of my home. I do a lot of traveling so it's not too difficult for me. I usually average 80 to 85 for the top prizes. Now they've changed it to 100. 100 is tough. Last year I did 112.

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy the hunt. It is fun.

After reading all the new rules and regulations, I think I'm going to give up doing this contest. You use to have to mail your pictures to Harley. Now you have to e-mail them. How do you e-mail over 100 pictures? I have a problem just trying to send one. Did I mention I'm completely computer challenged?
I didn't find the blank form sheet you need to fill in with all the locations that you went to. I guess I could copy the 2016 and white out the year.
And now they give you a $50 gift card. I can get gift cards all day long - don't mean anything. I liked the prizes that were only available for doing this contest. They meant more then a generic gift card. Leave it to Harley to screw up a good thing. Lots of riders are going to give up on this now - especially trying to get 100 points. A few local riders in my chapter have said they won't do it again. It's a shame because it gave you a goal to reach. I suppose you can still ride to these locations, but not the same.

I also didn't find the blank form sheet you need to fill in with all the locations that you went to. I guess I could copy the 2016 and white out the year.

I just tried getting back in to that page today and all I get is a white screen and the donut turning and turning and turning and.............................

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-17-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:18 PM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Now you have to e-mail them.
That is not the case; the 2017 instructions say,

PHOTO FORMATS
All photos must be submitted online at hog.com/abc. Photo formats
accepted are .jpg, .gif, .png. Each photo must not exceed 5MB in size.

This would seem to imply that at some point HOG will create a link for you to upload your photos along with some submission information. Assuming it works, this will be light years better than printing a bunch of pictures and sending them into HOG. Even printing them on plain paper the old submission process was expensive and time consuming. At least they're moving into the 21st century since the majority of people are using some kind of digital camera even if it's a phone.

Last edited by dsigrist; 02-28-2017 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pccoder (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I thought on line is the same thing as e-mailing. Told you I was computer challenged. I still don't know how you'd send over 100 pictures.

I preferred printing 4 pictures to a page and mailing them.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:05 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been collecting again since January. The rules basically never change from year to year, so I've been out and about. It's good to hear that I can post my results to a website instead...since I always put all my photos on Flick.com anyway. It's always annoying to have to get it all printed and hand filled before the end of the year. Quite frankly, it always sucked.

Now...regarding results from last year, they are going to be sent out in April. Members that participated last year got a letter from HOG explaining this already (at least I did).

Old 02-28-2017, 01:40 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Yep, got my post card also.
The rules "WERE" always the same every year - EXCEPT this year there is a few changes. 100 is the new top amount to receive all the prizes. And now instead of unique "ABC's of Touring" prizes they are giving $50 and $25 Norscot gift cards. I like wearing my ABC fleece jacket, ABC hat and showing off all the other ABC items. I think THE best prize was the 1/4" scale metal model of the H-D engine. That was very impressive.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Got all my stuff today! Whoopie! Anyway, also had another grand mal seizure...so riding is out for a while.

Bandana
ABCs of Touring 2016 Patch
ABCs of Touring 2016 Pin
3 HOG carabiners

Old 03-06-2017, 04:33 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Got all that plus an ABC water proof duffle bad and a selfie stick - now all I need is a smart phone. Guess I could use it as a back scratcher.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Ricekw
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the points and categories the same this year as last years? This is my first year and I cannot find that info anywhere since I am signed up.

Quick Reply: Abc's of touring contest