General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Twisted Cherry RGU
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default progressive shocks

Hello to all
I have a general question in regards to progrestive shocks, im looking at getting the 444-4044B
444 (BLK) HLY 12" series but here's the stupid question of mine stock show 12" what's the difference if I go with the 12.5" or 13" instead what would the up and down sides be if I would like to go bigger. I'm 6'2" 270 fat man meals don't seem to get a way from me often lol,

Old 02-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,352 Likes on 1,154 Posts
Default Progressive shocks with softer springs

Originally Posted by rogers bob 2015
Hello to all
I have a general question in regards to progrestive shocks, im looking at getting the 444-4044B
444 (BLK) HLY 12" series but here's the stupid question of mine stock show 12" what's the difference if I go with the 12.5" or 13" instead what would the up and down sides be if I would like to go bigger. I'm 6'2" 270 fat man meals don't seem to get a way from me often lol,
I went with the 13" on my 1200 C Sportster to gain a extra 1.5 " travel and went with the softer rated springs .It help 100% with making the bike more comfortable and stopped it from bottoming out . I'm 5.9" 265 lbs and I was also still able to be flat footed at stops . You will see a little more rear tire no big deal .
Did you go to there site and find the page with ALL the Specifications & Technical Information yet. Don't go heavy on the spring rate or you will be sending them back for a exchange . I made that mistake and it cost me extra shipping .
OEM shocks haven't had the proper travel in over 40 YEARS ! with a few exceptions.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 02-23-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,943 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Hello to all

Shock length is not what you're after - spring rate is (Std vs. HD springs)

Here's a post I made a while back:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ns-needed.html

Heavy vs. standard springs

If the total weight of rider(s) & gear is at / near the max load carrying capacity of the bike > 50% of the time.... Go with heavy

Otherwise stick with standard rate springs - if you wish maximum benefit / operation from the suspension

Work with preload (spacer length) to get proper spring stiffness for controling brake dive / bottoming out

Oil weight has more to do with compression / rebound (the ability to keep the tire on the pavement) - than it does with whether the springs bottom out

Free up the suspension - allow it to work - it'll amaze you how nimble / smooth these bikes are
Ghost

Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I have 13.5 444HDs on my 2014 SGS. I weigh 210. I initially bought the non HDs and even with just me on the bike I had to crank the preload almost all the way to get proper sag. It rode pretty well, but there was some bottoming. I bought some HD springs and the preload was closer to the top for sag and the bike felt much smoother. I believe that on a progressive spring it's important to as closely match your weight to a spring with the most minimal preload possible to make the best use of he progressive aspect of that spring. Trust me on this - you want the HDs.

On shock length - sounds like you have Harley shocks which don't really have sag. A Progressive shock will have sag - about an inch. So if you buy a 13 inch shock, it will have about the same ride height as a 12 inch Harley shock. But parked, it will sit a little higher.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 AM
Twisted Cherry RGU
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevada72
I have 13.5 444HDs on my 2014 SGS. I weigh 210. I initially bought the non HDs and even with just me on the bike I had to crank the preload almost all the way to get proper sag. It rode pretty well, but there was some bottoming. I bought some HD springs and the preload was closer to the top for sag and the bike felt much smoother. I believe that on a progressive spring it's important to as closely match your weight to a spring with the most minimal preload possible to make the best use of he progressive aspect of that spring. Trust me on this - you want the HDs.

On shock length - sounds like you have Harley shocks which don't really have sag. A Progressive shock will have sag - about an inch. So if you buy a 13 inch shock, it will have about the same ride height as a 12 inch Harley shock. But parked, it will sit a little higher.
thanks to everyone who answered Im looking at going with the 13" hd for my fat azz

Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

thanks to everyone who answered Im looking at going with the 13" hd for my fat azz
Good choice. Cheryl and I two up are 330# I dialed in 5 turns of preload and it works very well for us.

Tip - buy the Progressive spring removal tool. You'll need it to clean the Shocks. Before you install them on the bike take them apart (super easy with the tool) and take a rag moistened with WD40 or any lube and polish the threads dry. You don't want to leave residue that will attract dirt. The reason for this is sometimes the preload adjuster can bind up out of the box. They should turn very easily even when cranking preload.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:32 AM
Twisted Cherry RGU
Cruiser
Default shocks

Originally Posted by nevada72
Good choice. Cheryl and I two up are 330# I dialed in 5 turns of preload and it works very well for us.

Tip - buy the Progressive spring removal tool. You'll need it to clean the Shocks. Before you install them on the bike take them apart (super easy with the tool) and take a rag moistened with WD40 or any lube and polish the threads dry. You don't want to leave residue that will attract dirt. The reason for this is sometimes the preload adjuster can bind up out of the box. They should turn very easily even when cranking preload.
thanks for the help