General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far do you go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:10 AM
teedubbyaw
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktop37
This has really helped. I agree if it becomes a chore dressing for a short ride it takes a lot of fun out of it. I have decided to invest in my safety more than I was going to.
I know skin cancer is a real issue as I plan to address that also
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond
I don't know if you've ever had road rash or not, but I will gladly wear my gear and be hot than risk the road rash.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:32 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Some great responses here. I'm with Chikin on a Chain. I'm at high risk for skin cancer, so I'm covered all the time. Here in California's Central San Joaquin Valley, it gets hot in the summer. Gates of Hell hot. I've found that with wicking underwear, a full textile suit is nearly like wearing an air conditioner as long as you stay moving.

Expensive is a relative term too. I'll use boots for example because of my experiences a couple years back. In the MSF courses they teach you about wearing an ankle high work boot to protect your ankles. Ok. I was wearing boots like this while riding up in the foothills near my home. Coming around a bend in full lean, and out pops Wiley Coyote right dead in front of me. Next thing I know I'm down and sliding. I was also wearing Duluth firehose jeans (HOT!) and an Icon textile jacket. The jacket was destroyed, but saved my elbows and shoulders. The knees on the jeans were shredded, and I had asphalt burns on my knees. Those boots.... my foot twisted around 180° and my ankle was fractured. This happened in late May so it put an end to my entire summer of riding plans. My out of pocket expenses just for medical were nearly $5K. After that, I bought a set of armored Sidi Adventure boots. Over $500. But I think if I had those at the time of my wreck, my ankle might have been merely sprained instead of broken, and SAVED me a bunch of money.....and my summer.

I'm not saying you HAVE to gear up. It's your skin. You need to assess the risk your willing to take to "stay cool".

Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Some great responses here. I'm with Chikin on a Chain. I'm at high risk for skin cancer, so I'm covered all the time. Here in California's Central San Joaquin Valley, it gets hot in the summer. Gates of Hell hot. I've found that with wicking underwear, a full textile suit is nearly like wearing an air conditioner as long as you stay moving.

Expensive is a relative term too. I'll use boots for example because of my experiences a couple years back. In the MSF courses they teach you about wearing an ankle high work boot to protect your ankles. Ok. I was wearing boots like this while riding up in the foothills near my home. Coming around a bend in full lean, and out pops Wiley Coyote right dead in front of me. Next thing I know I'm down and sliding. I was also wearing Duluth firehose jeans (HOT!) and an Icon textile jacket. The jacket was destroyed, but saved my elbows and shoulders. The knees on the jeans were shredded, and I had asphalt burns on my knees. Those boots.... my foot twisted around 180° and my ankle was fractured. This happened in late May so it put an end to my entire summer of riding plans. My out of pocket expenses just for medical were nearly $5K. After that, I bought a set of armored Sidi Adventure boots. Over $500. But I think if I had those at the time of my wreck, my ankle might have been merely sprained instead of broken, and SAVED me a bunch of money.....and my summer.

I'm not saying you HAVE to gear up. It's your skin. You need to assess the risk your willing to take to "stay cool".
You make a good point. Making the investment in high quality gear may save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

Duluth Trading company buck naked underwear and shirts are what I wear under my gear. REI merino wool hiking socks. I take only one change of clothes when I travel in the bike, no matter how long or where to. All of the stuff I just mentioned washes very easily in a stream, hotel bathroom sink or shower, or with just a bottle of water. And dries amazingly fast. I carry a water bottle with some Tide in it and have clean clothes the entire time.

When off the bike I wear Kuhl Renegade convertible pants and Kuhl shirts. They wash and dry the same as the Duluth stuff. Also carry Merrell hiking shoes as well.

More info than you asked for but just FYI.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
,,,, It's all a matter of choice. I believe in that choice. ,,,
Originally Posted by gja
,,,,As others have said though, its personal choice.
X3, you accept some risk to ride your motorcycle. Its a matter of degree and is different for all of us; "choice".

FYI, Those leather jackets with the zippered air flow gussets in em do work so long as you're moving. I stay covered most of the time but when it gets to the point where you're preoccupied with your discomfort and not concentrating on the necessary, the benefit becomes a risk at that point,, IMHO.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:12 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Personal choice, common sense and experience. I am not wearing Kevlar pants there are limits.
But I do wear helmet, gloves boots jacket most of mine do have the Kevlar pads in them. Worn right the gear does not pose a big issue even in heat.
If nothing ever happens flip flops and shirts are fine. Not my way to ride.
Good luck may you find joy in riding again.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Last edited by HKMark23; 02-25-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:25 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Flesh eating bacteria...
That pic won't be up very long...

Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Flesh eating bacteria...
That pic won't be up very long...
Took it down myself.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 AM
teedubbyaw
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Took it down myself.
Still a good reminder. I saw an injury nearly identical to that from an MC wreck. Degloving is what it's called

Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 AM
chaselee
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Mother of GOD!!! What happened here!?

Quick Reply: How far do you go?