General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley tools

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:11 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Harley tools

I need to get into my transmission on my 2010 ultra so I needed a 2-14 deep socket ( I rented one from a guy last time) so I looked into making one by buying a socket and cutting it in half and welding in a piece of pipe in between. I found two sockets that might work bothe were 35.00 each. So I got looking arround and found a company (heartland products) that had the correct socket for a Harley for 59.00 plus shipping about 100.00 cheaper than anyone else. They have other tools for Harley at a good price also that was the only one I needed right now

Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,911 Likes on 17,472 Posts

Ebay or amazon for the correct tool, the welded up ones which I've also made in a pinch break at the welds sooner or later, the dissimilar metal hardness thing. You'll find the tool for not much more than buying a socket and spending half a day dicking with it.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:43 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior

I found it on amazon for 89.00 then it said where it was shipping from so I went on that web site and save 30.00 buying it direct I found the same socket elsewhere for 159.00 and I hope I only need it once more I've been in the trans twice last year.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:47 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior

I'm sure I'm like everyone else that works on their own bikes some of the Harley tools are over priced and the way I look at it the more I and save can buy more go fast stuff or that stuff that shines. Lol

Old 02-25-2017, 02:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,911 Likes on 17,472 Posts

I have a load of garage made specialty tools so I can relate but some like that tranny nut socket is something you want to know is right as it sucks to get to again. Good luck partner.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior

Thanks I'll get it this time

Old 02-25-2017, 03:41 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Several different sources for HD specialty tools. Georges Garage tools are top quality for one. I have a box full of them and others for working on twin cam engines and transmissions, etc. that i have acquired over the years. I live out in the country and by the time i would take a bike 100 miles, drop it off to be worked on, and then go back and get it, i would have wasted a fair amount of time and money. Easier and cheaper to just do it myself. I just recently had to buy the stuff to do six speeds. I can't believe HD is the only source for that transmission main drive gear bearing but it is. Baker is coming out with a heavy duty bearing but it is $599. Way past the amount i want to pay for a bearing.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:32 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior

I think that bearing at the dealer is about 60.00. I like doing my own work that's the way I learn about them and if I can do it myself I will. Saves to ton of money and I enjoy it I'm sure there is a lot of riders that don't turn wrenches and that's fine too.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:18 AM
CMac
Cruiser
Location: Armpit of the Free World (Washington, DC metro area)
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by big- mike
Thanks I'll get it this time

And you won't regret it: that nut is a complete B!TCH. The Heartland tool will come with the fat, aluminum spacer to protect the main shaft end and also keeps the long socket from wobbling. Your homemade jobs don't have that. Just avoiding that frustration, alone, is worth the $80 you'll spend.

Heartland's tools are of great fit and finish and are fairly priced. I bought some for a buddy's transmission/primary/clutch pack rebuild.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:42 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by big- mike
So I got looking arround and found a company (heartland products) that had the correct socket for a Harley for 59.00 plus shipping about 100.00 cheaper than anyone else. They have other tools for Harley at a good price also that was the only one I needed right now
and if you use the coupon code "harleytech", you save another 10%.

Quick Reply: Harley tools