General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:19 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
And that is what I thought, I just found it odd that I got numbers from 4 dealers within 40 miles of each other and they are all that close. Thought there might be a bit more competition. That's cool though I suppose, means they are all doing good that they don't need to worry about competition.
could be that those 4 dealerships being that close were all owned by the same person/company/conglomerate....

theres a couple here in la. even though they have different names, you might as well be going to the same dealer. no difference in pricing, stock, etc...

Old 02-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm where the black arrow is and these are all HD dealers within 2 hours of my house...

Looking at that map, if you don't get a very attractive deal then you aren't trying.

Originally Posted by skratch
could be that those 4 dealerships being that close were all owned by the same person/company/conglomerate....

theres a couple here in la. even though they have different names, you might as well be going to the same dealer. no difference in pricing, stock, etc...
Very good point.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-25-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:30 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch

I'm going to venture a bit further out. I need to get my bike out so I can can actual trade value. Right now I'm going of VIN and description when I talk to them.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior

I'm going to venture a bit further out. I need to get my bike out so I can can actual trade value. Right now I'm going of VIN and description when I talk to them.
Gotta understand that when you describe how great of shape your bike is in it's about as believable to them as it is to you when they say "that's the best I can do, really". Ride it there and show them you're serious. They spend a lot of time getting jerked off by people on the phone.

Salesmen are like you and me; they prefer to get jerked off in person.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wowser
It's a game. You're trying to pay as little as possible, they're trying to make as much as possible. I get my vehicles at supplier pricing so I don't negotiate the price of a vehicle anymore.

I do negotiate the trade in value and oil changes, add ons (heated seats), or more applicable in this case: title fees, freight charge, setup fees, free service, helmet or jacket included. All while keeping a sharp eye on the actual price of the bike to make sure they don't charge you somewhere else.

If a dealer won't play then I walk. I deal in person with cash in hand, or financing secured with a hefty down payment. That really helps although I realize that not everyone has that opportunity.

Don't let them stretch the term of the loan out either and sucker you into buying a payment instead of a bike. This is assuming you're financing, if not then I apologize and disregard this paragraph
I only deal in cash. Well write a check, I won't walk around with $28K in hand. ;-)... I also will not and don't want to wheel and deal. I'll tell them I'll write them a check for X amount. They say, our bike is listed at MSRP. I say.. OK... I'll talk to you later. I can not stand sales and can not stand sitting in a dealership "playing the game."

Gotta understand that when you describe how great of shape your bike is in it's about as believable to them as it is to you when they say "that's the best I can do, really". Ride it there and show them you're serious. They spend a lot of time getting jerked off by people on the phone.

Salesmen are like you and me; they prefer to get jerked off in person.
Ya, I hear ya... That's why I'm now just waiting till I have my bike out of storage and can ride it in with my checkbook.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-25-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:42 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

So I'm curious... and I honestly do not know the answer. So does HD control the price that dealers can sell their new bike for? I have 4 dealers within 40 minutes of my place. I've been talking too them on trade of my '09 with a '17 Limited Vivid Black. All of them are within $200 of each other and that is including a 7 year ESP with Wheel & Tire. The small difference seems to be the setup/freight. I would of thought that I could get a deal at one of the 4, but they all said, I could make the deal now and they will come pick up my bike or in April and I can just ride my bike in. They said the only thing with waiting is they may not have the bike I want in stock. I've owned a couple different bikes, but have not bought one new from the dealer, so I was just curious. If there is no benefit to going with one over the other, what's the point, no competition... I suppose maybe after with service or parts.
Dealer can charge whatever they want. It's a federal law. However every dealer knows how much is being paid on every bike sold. I know on my 2017 I got it at MSRP (no freight or setup) but not one penny less than MSRP. Got money on the upgrades. By the way freight is paid by dealer back to HD so this is real money. I know a local dealer who was charging way less than MSRP prior to 2017 but they screwed their customers on parts and upgrades. Everyone knew what they were doing and the other dealers would say we charge MSRP that's it. If you want to go down the road and pay less than MSRP go for it. That dealer went bankrupt and again left their customers hanging. The other dealers who charged MSRP are still around. Good luck to you. Buy a bike and have fun!!

Old 02-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior

Ya, I hear ya... That's why I'm now just waiting till I have my bike out of storage and can ride it in with my checkbook.
Best of luck to you, I know it's frustrating when you're excited about a new bike.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Dealer can charge whatever they want. It's a federal law. However every dealer knows how much is being paid on every bike sold. I know on my 2017 I got it at MSRP (no freight or setup) but not one penny less than MSRP. Got money on the upgrades. By the way freight is paid by dealer back to HD so this is real money. I know a local dealer who was charging way less than MSRP prior to 2017 but they screwed their customers on parts and upgrades. Everyone knew what they were doing and the other dealers would say we charge MSRP that's it. If you want to go down the road and pay less than MSRP go for it. That dealer went bankrupt and again left their customers hanging. The other dealers who charged MSRP are still around. Good luck to you. Buy a bike and have fun!!
Ya, I need to get my bike out of storage and just ride it in with my checkbook. Because I need to make the "entire" deal.

Best of luck to you, I know it's frustrating when you're excited about a new bike.
It is, but truth be told, even if I bought it tomorrow, it's sitting at the shop till mid March or maybe early April anyway. So I'll just hold tight, get my bike out and then go in and make the entire deal. Then I can get on my bike with my cash and drive away if needed.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-25-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Well please tell me your secrets, because I've been trying and I've not had any luck. I'm all ears if you have the magic words to get them to come down off MSRP or give me more in trade.
Negotiate with facts. Its easier for you and actually easier for the dealer.
Check out seedealercost.com (its based on vivid black and does not include freight).
Add the freight to the invoice price (its listed on H-D website) & what you feel is a reasonable profit & make that your offer. Explain why you feel that number is reasonable. Note: "That's what I can afford" or "All I want to pay" are NOT good reasons.
Have the dealer explain why a $4k, 5k, or 6k profit is more reasonable. Have the dealer explain why $500 is a reasonable fee for "set up". Have the dealer explain any additional freight charges over and above the factory freight. Have the dealer explain that a $750 "dealer fee" is reasonable. While you're at it, have them explain what the "dealer fee" actually is. And post it here, so we'll all know.
If your offer is intentionally low, be willing to come up if the dealer has good reasons to pay more. Also be willing to walk if you can't get agree on a number.
You may get closer to your number than you think. Or you may find your local dealer is actually on the money and you'll have to pay his price.
Don't get emotionally involved. Some people negotiate on a bike that is not the color they want, then switch to the preferred color after a price is agreed upon.
Like hustling a girl in a bar, whoever buys who's story will determine if a sale is made.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daytona Fat Boy:
jamala00 (02-25-2017), Wowser (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior

I only deal in cash. Well write a check, I won't walk around with $28K in hand. ;-)... I also will not and don't want to wheel and deal. I'll tell them I'll write them a check for X amount. They say, our bike is listed at MSRP. I say.. OK... I'll talk to you later. I can not stand sales and can not stand sitting in a dealership "playing the game."
And there's nothing wrong with that. I like "playing the game" because I'm good at it and I like the perceived competition.

Quick Reply: Dealerships