General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
The Motor Company does not control the selling price of bikes. That would be a violation of federal "restraint of trade" laws.

The MoCo "suggests" the MSRP, but the dealer sets his own price.
Um, well, not at least according to the Supreme Court: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/wa...9bizcourt.html

Old 02-26-2017, 12:01 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Like the dealer in Greenville, SC told me when I was buying my first Harley when I asked about a few dollars off;

"That's the price."
"If you don't like it, there's the door."

"The next guy in may think it is a good price"...............

Old 02-26-2017, 12:22 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
Like the dealer in Greenville, SC told me when I was buying my first Harley when I asked about a few dollars off;

"That's the price."
"If you don't like it, there's the door."

"The next guy in may think it is a good price"...............
Yep, they have every right to tell you that, just as you have every right to walk. I'll upgrade one of these days. Maybe it will be on a '18, who knows. When I'm comfortable with a deal, I'll do it. Until then, I'll keep riding my sweet '09 built just the way I wanted it. No issues with that at all. Doesn't seem to be just the HD shops here not wanting to deal. I thought about upgrading my '07 Tahoe. Made an offer to a dealer on a '15 Tahoe... (2K less then they were asking including TTL) they said no thanks. They said it will sell for what it's listed. I said, cool, it's been on your lot for over 2 months now, been watching. I walked

Old 02-26-2017, 02:26 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
So I'm curious... and I honestly do not know the answer. So does HD control the price that dealers can sell their new bike for? I have 4 dealers within 40 minutes of my place. I've been talking too them on trade of my '09 with a '17 Limited Vivid Black. All of them are within $200 of each other and that is including a 7 year ESP with Wheel & Tire. The small difference seems to be the setup/freight. I would of thought that I could get a deal at one of the 4, but they all said, I could make the deal now and they will come pick up my bike or in April and I can just ride my bike in. They said the only thing with waiting is they may not have the bike I want in stock. I've owned a couple different bikes, but have not bought one new from the dealer, so I was just curious. If there is no benefit to going with one over the other, what's the point, no competition... I suppose maybe after with service or parts.
To get your best price, you make your offer, they turn it down you walk. Very easy. Or, you can give them ridiculously lowball offer, and go from there to what your price will be.
2016's you can save $$$ as HD is trying desperately to move them. 2017's HD has cut production to create a artificial shortage to keep the prices higher.
HD does monitor pricing, dealers can not go real low as HD tells the dealers they have to protect and not devalue the brand. But, with all the 2016's available, HD gave them their blessing to deal.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,955 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Different dealers can set there prices differently, their set up differently, there doc fees and so on. They can and will give different on trade.

I have five dealers with in 80 miles of my home. Prices are different as are the deals. I have three closer than the dealer I use.

One of those three will only Sell CVO at 1K over MSRP. One will sell at MSRP plus very high setup.

The one I use gives more on trade, and will take money off.

I got a great deal from them on my wife's 2017 Road Glide Special. I got a good deal on my 17 CVO.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:35 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,599 Likes on 5,169 Posts

Best deals go to those that do not need it. If you can walk in and pay cash, or take the finance because it a better deal for you to use their money you win.
For me years with the same dealer pays off time and time again . With my 2017 and trading a 2016 with higher miles I had expect to take a hit. It turned out a lot better than I expected. I do know had I waited another 2 months it would not have been the same.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:15 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Negotiate with facts. Its easier for you and actually easier for the dealer.
Check out seedealercost.com (its based on vivid black and does not include freight).
Add the freight to the invoice price (its listed on H-D website) & what you feel is a reasonable profit & make that your offer. Explain why you feel that number is reasonable. Note: "That's what I can afford" or "All I want to pay" are NOT good reasons.
Have the dealer explain why a $4k, 5k, or 6k profit is more reasonable. Have the dealer explain why $500 is a reasonable fee for "set up". Have the dealer explain any additional freight charges over and above the factory freight. Have the dealer explain that a $750 "dealer fee" is reasonable. While you're at it, have them explain what the "dealer fee" actually is. And post it here, so we'll all know.
If your offer is intentionally low, be willing to come up if the dealer has good reasons to pay more. Also be willing to walk if you can't get agree on a number.
You may get closer to your number than you think. Or you may find your local dealer is actually on the money and you'll have to pay his price.
Don't get emotionally involved. Some people negotiate on a bike that is not the color they want, then switch to the preferred color after a price is agreed upon.
Like hustling a girl in a bar, whoever buys who's story will determine if a sale is made.

That's an interesting site, it looks like every bike listed shows a 20% markup.