General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:35 AM
Johnnie Walker
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a bike

Cheers!

I am honored to be here, in your forum...

Please be ​​​fore-warned... I can be chatty.

I'm buying my first Harley, about 10 days from now.
I've done some visits to dealers, checked autotrader (often), and researched the local online classifieds, and such.

Plus, I've read whatever Hatley material I can get my hands on... or find on the Internet (from the very technical... to the totally bizarre).

And I've talked to many charming helpful Harley riders. I find, you guys... and gals... really do enjoy sharing your experiences... and knowledge.
Thank you, all. It is very much appreciated.

So... that being said... I figure my wallet will allow me to get a bike about... 10 years old.

Now, considering...
  • I'm 57 years old...
  • I'm married to a beautiful mother of 8 who wants her tush to be comfy on the back of the bike...
  • I've been riding on the street since the day I turned 16 (but, because life butted in for a while, I haven't ridden a bike for a few years now)...
  • I'm 5 foot 9 inches tall, with short Irish legs.
So, with all that in mind...
I would greatly value all of your learned answers to these questions:
  1. What bike do you think I should get?
  2. Now... picture a stock version of your answer to question 1... What two improvements would you make for improving the performance of that bike?
  3. What two improvements would you make for improving the handling?
  4. What two improvements would you make for improving the cosmetic look of that bike?
With your gracious help, I'm hoping to maximize my purchase. It should all be a great help, if I end up bartering with a dealer about changes to a bike I want to get.
My goal is to get the very best deal on the very best 10?-year-old Harley that I can.

Cheers!
Johnnie Walker

Old 02-26-2017, 01:16 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,148 Likes on 6,212 Posts

Heritage Softail Classic

Old 02-26-2017, 02:01 AM
jimmy28
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert on anything by far, but I can give an opinion.

1. I like the Road King. I'm 5'11 but my legs are short, and my wife is 5'7 with longer legs and it sits well for both of us.
2. I'd probably get a fuel tuner and increase airflow with new exhaust and/or air breather for performance.
3. For handling I'd get better tires and heritage style bars or a little higher. The heritage style bars for road king make it way more comfortable than stock also.
4. I don't really know cosmetically, but for your wife's sake get her a good backrest and make sure she has passenger foot boards. Also talking stock bikes, I hear that the road king passenger seat is a little more comfortable than the road/street glide and the suspension is a little higher in the rear so more comfortable. Obviously there are many seats and shocks you can add on besides stock.

Have fun and enjoy your new bike!

Last edited by jimmy28; 02-26-2017 at 02:04 AM. Reason: pic was too big
Old 02-26-2017, 04:26 AM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I asked the same question you just asked, but I already knew which bike I was buying. That being said, get what you want we are not kids anymore and may not be not get another chance to buy another one. I quit ridding back in the mid 80's. I wanted a old school chopper look in a newer bike I bought a 09 softail custom.

Attached Thumbnails Buying a bike-newtoy.png  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker
  • I'm 57 years old...
  • I'm married to a beautiful mother of 8 who wants her tush to be comfy on the back of the bike...
I suggest a trike.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:00 AM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

I refuse to suggest a bike. The bike/rider dynamic is too personal for me to have any clue which bike you'll be happiest with.

Go to every dealer in your area, not just Harley, EVERY dealer. Ride every bike you can convince someone to let you ride.

Feel free to ask opinions, but understand that none of us know you well enough to have any clue which bike you should be on.

GM

Old 02-26-2017, 12:19 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

From my file...

Go to a dealership and see which one looks good, that fits you the best and buy it. Another way is if a dealership has a demo day and test ride every bike that you like and choose it that way. After all, it's your choice and I can't and won't tell you which one to get because everybody has their own preference on which one feels and looks the best to them and that they can afford.

As far as modding your bike, that's another personal choice. Not everyone changes the same things. Good luck with your choices.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-26-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:27 PM
yamamatt65
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 12 Posts

1: The Road King is a great all-around bike.
2: Many riders here would suggest doing a "stage 1" upgrade. A tuner like Fuel Pak 3 + exhaust and air cleaner.
3: Every rider is different, so I would probably ride it for awhile to decide what I wanted to improve on the handling. I wouldn't do anything at first except make sure the passenger is comfortable. Things like aftermarket seats, large backrest pads, passenger floor boards, etc. are all things to consider. Passengers affect the handling greatly, so make sure they are comfortable!
4: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ries-mods.html

Old 02-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Ozarkhellbilly
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been several replies recommending the Road King and I hafta agree. I rode two up on a RK for several years until I met and started dating a woman that has her own scoot. The ride is great two up and the air-adjustable shocks do well. Best bet is to test ride. Good luck!

Last edited by Ozarkhellbilly; 02-26-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:18 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
You never mentioned what kind of riding you usually do, other than 2 up. Different models are better for different styles of riding, so first try to identify your needs in that area.
We all have our likes and dislikes but since you're the only one who will be paying for and riding your bike you need to test ride a bunch of them.

Quick Reply: Buying a bike