General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck bolts = Harley-Davidsons

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 02:36 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

I learned something last week. After drilling out stuck fender bolts on my 03 Fatboy, I ordered a gardner presscot (sp?) fender bolt replacement kit. On the front of the package was a note: "always use never seize" on nylock nuts. Well, previous stuck bolts were assembled a couple of years ago using dry nylocks and were seriously stuck to the bolts. Learn something everyday. YMMV.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by billib1954
I learned something last week. After drilling out stuck fender bolts on my 03 Fatboy, I ordered a gardner presscot (sp?) fender bolt replacement kit. On the front of the package was a note: "always use never seize" on nylock nuts. Well, previous stuck bolts were assembled a couple of years ago using dry nylocks and were seriously stuck to the bolts. Learn something everyday. YMMV.
That because that type locknut uses a deformed thread lock mechanism, clamp a fresh bolt on a vise and run a " dry locknut " down and look at the bolt threads showing, stickly a one use system for both items. Don' use it if it doesn't have the nylon band on the top of the nut.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:01 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Use brass nuts on steel exhaust studs. They won't seize. Use a little bit of "Coppaslip" or equivalent on other fasteners that you don't want to seize.

Use a SMALL amount of blue Loctite on most other fasteners. Use red Loctite only on fasteners that the factory service manual says to do so - and not on any others.

Use quality tools. If a wrench or socket has already rounded off the "right size" fastener once, bin it. Buy a good quality replacement.

Use proper tools - never use pliers to try to undo fasteners, use the correct wrenches or sockets.

Use decent torque wrenches and torque to the mid point of the factory torque settings.

If you do all of the above, Harleys are particularly easy to work on. There are a few fasteners that you will need certain tools (listed in the service manual) to get to. Pay attention to this.

And make sure you do have a factory service manual. Don't butcher anything - step back, read the manual and reconsider.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Ah, the joys of working on a previously owned vehicle......
Is exactly why I buy used machines stock and take money off for modifications. The money and time train leaves the station when you go behind most "mechanics".

Personally, I've found more loose fasteners on Harleys than stuck ones. Then again, there are some fasteners I'll hit with with PB Blaster and let them soak for a minute or two before even trying to crack them. Exhaust stud nuts are one of them. Like the spark plugs on the old Ford 5.4L engines; if you got in a hurry removing them, they'd break off right in the head.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-26-2017 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Is exactly why I buy used machines stock and take money off for modifications. The money and time train leaves the station when you go behind most "mechanics".
Firm believer half the guys out there with a tool box really need to stay away from it.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:00 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Dissimilar metals are your enemy..
and cheap china tools...
and ham fisted "mechanics" (with aforementioned tools)....

Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,478 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I always slightly under-torque...I would rather lose a bolt than shear one or strip a thread, and I've never lost one on any of my 20 Harleys. And, I can't think of anything on my bike that would suffer from the loss of 1 bolt, except maybe a pulley bolt,or comp bolt and I ain't never tooken one of them off.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I agree with Dickey, especially when adding anything to the threads such as anti-seize or locktite. That changes torque values.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:24 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
Do you feel like you have experienced more stuck/siezed bolts on your Harley than on other bikes?
No. With PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, and the right tool used properly, I don't have problems with motorcycle fasteners. I learned how to work on machinery the hard way, over a lot of years. I can see how a (mis)used bike could be a problem.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I agree with Dickey, especially when adding anything to the threads such as anti-seize or locktite. That changes torque values.
I'll admit right here and now that I never use a torque wrench on anything and I use either red or blue Loctite on everything. Ok....on some stuff I'll use Loctite silver or copper anti seize, depending on the application. I never loose fasteners and I never have an issue with fastener removal. I am a firm believer in coating threads.

Quick Reply: Stuck bolts = Harley-Davidsons