General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer service crankcase overfill

Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Longhaul59
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer service crankcase overfill

Dealer did a 5k full service and inspection on my FLHX. Bill showed I was charged for 6 quarts of SYN3 oil. Plus I had asked for severe gear oil in trans which tech said he put in. Severe gear was listed on bill but not charged for. Also had a recall for hydraulic clutch. My first ride was up a mountain road. At the top I blowing oil out all the lifter tubes. I pulled over and removed filler cap and dipstick. It was just like relieving the pressure on an air compressor.
Dealer picked it up and is currently going over bike. They claim tech took it for 5 mile check ride. Which may be true, but i'm sure he did not go up any long steep grades. What can be the worst case scenario here as far as engine health goes? What should I be asking the dealer to do for me and my bike?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:39 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I would be looking for a service manual from the Dealer and doing the service myself....

The following users liked this post:
twoglides13 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:13 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

The absolute worst scenario would be stretched rods, but that isn't likely here. Drain it and do it yourself. This way, you'll know it's been done right.

twoglides13 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 AM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 236 Likes on 144 Posts

The shop mechanics go from bike to bike, working on as many as they can at the same time. They make more money that way. Fasteners get swapped, and "where was I on this one" brain farts can cause real problems. That's why they want you to leave the bike, so you can't see what's going on. I do all of the services on my bike that I can, and have the mechanic of my choice do the rest.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

When I picked up my first bike, it had been sitting at the dealer for a while. Guy who checked it over quick topped it off with oil (some had drained into the case so it looked low). Got about 1/4 mile down the road and it blew the dipstick spraying oil all over.

They came and got it, changed the oil, washed it of course, gave me a new pair of jeans, some touch up paint and a few microfiber towels, plus a 20% certificate for anything I wanted, kind of like a little gift basket. They were pretty apologetic. I laughed about it and just chalked it up as a funny experience. No harm done.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:55 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

another good scam the dealers pull is not changing your oil filter and charging you for it.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
The absolute worst scenario would be stretched rods, but that isn't likely here. Drain it and do it yourself. This way, you'll know it's been done right.

Im not doubting what you say, I'm just curious on how overfilling the crankcase causes that. I would think there's a better chance of bent rods due to hydraulic lock.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:03 AM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
another good scam the dealers pull is not changing your oil filter and charging you for it.
If they did that intentionally, that's fraud

Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 AM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,110 Likes on 6,188 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Im not doubting what you say, I'm just curious on how overfilling the crankcase causes that. I would think there's a better chance of bent rods due to hydraulic lock.
Bent rods happen due to hydraulic lock inside the cylinders. Stretched rods happen due to hydraulic lock occurring below the pistons (in the crankcase).

Sw1 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
Bent rods happen due to hydraulic lock inside the cylinders. Stretched rods happen due to hydraulic lock occurring below the pistons (in the crankcase).
Makes sense, never seen it happen but it is logical. I used to live and wrench at a Chrysler dealer in AZ. It seemed like every time we got a good rain there was a minivan in for no start. Check it out and they had ingested water in the airbox driving through the big puddles and hydro-locked it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer service crankcase overfill