General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Demon Bells

Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 PM
NiteRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Demon Bells

I'm quite certai this topic has been discussed before and I suppose at least one or more will tell me to do a search but I really don't want to dig up a Thread that has been played out.

I have a Bell underneath my Bike and I firmly believe in its' legend. Seems to me that every person I know who has a Road Bell, has not had a serious accident as yet. I know, I'm probably jinxing this as I speak but there's gotta be something to it.

Yesterday & today I had two very close calls that resulted in nothing happening at all. However a couple of seconds or inches and I might not be with you right now. I'm not going to tell you what happened but I just wanted to know how many of you have a Raod Bell, where did you mount it and did you buy it for yourself or did someone buy it for you?

Legend: In order for the Bell to protect you, someone has to buy it for you. Mine is mounted directly underneath my A-Frame in the front chassis.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:42 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Road Demon Bells

Bought mine myself. Guess I'm screwed.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:59 PM
NiteRider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: akenaten

Bought mine myself. Guess I'm screwed.
Well according to how I've always heard this go down, someone must buy it for you. So you can still rectify it by giving it to someone who in turn buys one for you. Hey, one never knows but the one & only time I ever went down, I didn't have a Bell on this Bike. Go Figure

Old 06-03-2007, 08:21 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was a gift. I'm not supersticious but I think it's sort of a neat tradition. As someone has said in the past; it's one more thing for the dealer to make money on

Old 06-03-2007, 08:35 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My ex-girlfriend bought mine

Old 06-03-2007, 08:57 PM
adamoc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cough...bull$hit...cough...

Old 06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

adamoc
u'r not suposta eat the bell,,,dummy[:-]

Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 PM
x2lee
Banned

I believe..........

A man can chose what to believe.

He can choose superstition and fairy tales if he pleases.
The bell was not based on a fairy gremlin to begin with. I think some little ole ladies got ahold
of the tale and bent it to fit their whims or maybe it was a bunch of drunk bikers onLSD around a campfire in the mid 60's? Who knows where BS like evil road gremlins originate?

ORIGINAL: adamoc

Old 06-03-2007, 09:30 PM
x2lee
Banned

dug up on these forums

Years ago, the ride bell originally had an actual meaning.
A long time ago, when the Sturgis Rally was known as the "Jack Pine Races", when you paid your entry fee you were given a little brass bell on a ribbon to pin onto your shirt similar to the plastic or paper wrist band they give you now-a-days to show that you paid your way in. Most folks threw it away on their way home but some folks kept them and when they had a break-down or was stranded they would give a bell to the rider that stopped and helped them out and that rider would hang the bell on their bike to show that they were a good Samaritan and had helped other bikers.
Somewhere along the line all of that has been lost. I have heard bullshit stories about them wording off pot hole demons or assuring your way into heaven if you die in a crash... there are dozens of legends that people have attached to the bell and now every wannabe out there has one on there bike.
Now the only true meaning to hanging a ride bell on your bike is to **** off your mechanic. We have spent hours looking for loose heat shields, loose bolts with the washer jingling, loose horn covers and so on, only to find that the noise that we was hearing on that test ride was a stupid ride bell hidden somewhere on the bike.

BTW if you have one of these original ride bells I hear they are worth upwards of 4k.....

Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM
madden23
Road Master

Too funny, I told my kids to buy me one for Father's day. And I don't lightly dismiss anything that you "think" might give you an edge in any endeavor. Lot's of professional athletes have good luck charms and swear by them. If you "believe" something will help you be a better rider and help you escape harm it, it will to a certain extent, if all it does is make you more calm and confident in a pressure situation. The mind is a powerful thing and much of it does is below our awareness.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Demon Bells