General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 MPG Diesel Motorcycle - Diesel Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:21 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 100 MPG Diesel Motorcycle - Diesel Alternatives

100 MPG Diesel Motorcycle - Diesel Alternatives - Combat-tested diesel motorcycles get ready for the asphalt jungle.

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/a.../sid=1820.html

Old 06-09-2007, 06:46 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 100 MPG Diesel Motorcycle - Diesel Alternatives

That's a cool idea. I don't know why US consumers don't like small diesels. I wish I could get a Jeep or a small 4x4 pickup in diesel. I don't need a big truck, but I like the fuel efficiency, reliability and longevity that diesels offer. I don't know if I would buy a diesel bike...it's probably butt ugly, but I can see the military applications.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Marlboro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of years ago there were a few companies in Europe that made diesel motorcycle and it looked pretty cool. I will try and find it.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:02 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some info w/pics...

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bikes.html

http://www.peace65.freeserve.co.uk/P...1%20spec-3.pdf

Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Diesels are filthy, wouldn't have a diesel bike.

Hack

Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diesels are about to hit the US cage market in a big way. The makers have taken a break while the government changed the refinery rules for fuel. You can expect to see some sweet engines hit the market in the next year or so. I drove a Nissan SUV in Oz that was incredibly smooth, quiet, great mileage, clean exhaust,...I would never have guessed that it was diesel until I opened the cap to refuel and saw the sign. Next year you'll see what I mean.

A diesel Harley? Why not?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Being in the automotive industry, I can tell you the American public is not ready for diesels. Statements like "diesels are filthy" (just an example) along with the perception many of us have of diesel vehicles from the early '80s, I cant blame them. They were JUNK!!

When you compare those to todays "clean" deisel technology, you'd be very pleasently surprised. The last hurdle for the "nasty, dirty, noisy, smelly diesel" perception is the filling stations. They are still a bit behind, but are being forced to update with the changing fuel. The development of ULSD for the American market has cleaned things up quite a bit. New diesels produce less poloutants from the tail pipe than can be found in a normal breath of air in some parts of our country. Not only are they clean burning, they are also less "dirty", meaning that you could actually fill one or check the oil and not have to wash your hands or smell like diesel for the remainder of the day like before.

The BIG problem with diesel, IMO is the emission regulations they are facing.. It appears to me we missed our opportunity for diesel. '07 emissions require extra "cleaning" systems to reduce NOx and particulate matter. '10 will be even tighter and likely require Urea injection, adding something else to a fill up or oil change. The systems are expensive and the cost advantage of diesel is being eaten up by these additions.. For the average Joe, its going to be hard to justify in most cases. We are finding many folks driving diesel trucks today would be much better suited with a gas burner, because of their driving habits they are causing many problems on todays dieseltrucks.

With that said, I'd still like to see disel bikes. I think they're cool!!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 AM
dfirecpt
Cruiser

I'd be first in line if Harley would offer an Ultra Classic diesel.

This comes from a guy who had 3 GM 350 and 2 GM 6.2 in his personal vehicles in the 80's & 90's.

Today's diesels don't compare with those of the past. Technology has really produced a cleaner running and higher performance engine. Even ultra low sulfur diesel fuel has a less objectionable odor from fuels of the past.

I wouldn't be the least concerned. Sign me up for beta testing.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 AM
bnsoftailrider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: btefft

Diesels are filthy, wouldn't have a diesel bike.

Hack

Actually I read just a few days ago that the newest generation of diesels that will be used in cagers have lower emissions than gasoline engines....perhaps someone will use similar technology for bikes

Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
dhubley
Cruiser

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel and love it. It runs great, tows the 4500 lb boat / trailer and snowmobiles without a struggle. I also get 25-29 miles per gallon on the highway and22-24 around town. Towing the boat I get16-18 mpg.

Jeep tested the U.S. market with the Liberty Diesel in '05 and '06 and they had to produce more than they had forecasted. The Liberty model is discontiuned, but they now offer a Grand Cherokee diesel.

http://www.jeep.com/crd/index.html

The only downside to the diesel is that it is not as readily available.

Quick Reply: 100 MPG Diesel Motorcycle - Diesel Alternatives