General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Digital Guard Dawg

Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Digital Guard Dawg

The Digital Guard Dawg - Personal recognition system for your bike.

You can see pictures of the install on my site and read the review there.

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/a.../sid=1872.html

Or, if you just wanna read it below you can, but there's no pics here, only on my site. This is not a paid review. I genuinely use this on my bike and thought Iwould tell the world about it. Although I'm sure they won't mind the good press

Mike

[quote]There are loads of alarms on the market for motorcycles. While an alarm is a great theft deterrent, it requires an additional step to have that protection. You have to manually arm the alarm after you get off the bike.

The Digital Guard Dawg is completely different. It's not an alarm at all. It's a personal recognition system that will not allow your bike to start unless a specific key fob is within ten feet of the bike. The Digital Guard Dawg offers a different level of security.

Is the Digital Guard Dawg going to keep someone from stealing your bike? No alarm or personal recognition system will do that. They only discourage most thieves from trying.

The Digital Guard Dawg is completely invisible to most thieves, since they won't know what to look for. They try your bike, but it won't start. The thief moves on to an easier target.

I liked the Digital Guard Dawg for one big reason. I forget my keys. I'm actually pretty bad about it. Since I can't start the bike without my key fob, I don't have to change any of my habits. I just install the special starter relay and I'll never forget my keys again!

The product comes in a neat packaging that I was immediately impressed with. The package contains everything you need to install the system, except for tools. You'll need a Phillips head screwdriver, a set of wire crimpers/cutters, and a good set of pliers, preferrably needlenose.

Installation is easy. I am a novice at best when it comes to wrenching. I installed mine in about half an hour. After I installed it, I spent another ten or fifteen minutes testing it and identifying how close to my bike I had to be before it would start. The directions were easy to follow and it worked without a hitch!

The system is made up of a key fob and a special starter relay. The key fob uses wireless communication and micro circuitry to send an encrypted code to the special starter relay, called a 'Smart Relay'. When the smart relay detects the signal from it's matching fob, it completes the circuit so that your bike will start. All you have to to is have the ignition on and the bike fires right up.

You won't ever need your key again! I'm not recommending tossing your key altogether. However, several people installed the Digital Guard Dawg and are now keyless.

The smart relay has to be on all the time, so it has a power line that runs directly to the battery. Other than that it looks just like a normal starter relay. The smart relay consumes .01 milliamps, so low in fact many meters have a tough time even measuring it. So there's no worry about the drain on your bike's battery.

The key fob takes a lithium CR 2450 that's designed to last one to three years. Replacements can be purchased at any electronics store. Battery replacement is as easy as removing two screws. The fob will being sending it's signal right away, so there's no special reprogramming.

If you lose your key fob, you can order a new one with an easy phone call. Or , when you order your Digital Guard Dawg for the first time, you can

Old 12-11-2007, 05:16 PM
flavoflav
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Digital Guard Dawg

The KIM Unit - or Keyless Ignition Module is really cool. I have it on my bike and love it.

[quote]ORIGINAL: dynamike74

The Digital Guard Dawg - Personal recognition system for your bike.

You can see pictures of the install on my site and read the review there.

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/a.../sid=1872.html

Or, if you just wanna read it below you can, but there's no pics here, only on my site. This is not a paid review. I genuinely use this on my bike and thought Iwould tell the world about it. Although I'm sure they won't mind the good press

Mike

[quote]There are loads of alarms on the market for motorcycles. While an alarm is a great theft deterrent, it requires an additional step to have that protection. You have to manually arm the alarm after you get off the bike.

The Digital Guard Dawg is completely different. It's not an alarm at all. It's a personal recognition system that will not allow your bike to start unless a specific key fob is within ten feet of the bike. The Digital Guard Dawg offers a different level of security.

Is the Digital Guard Dawg going to keep someone from stealing your bike? No alarm or personal recognition system will do that. They only discourage most thieves from trying.

The Digital Guard Dawg is completely invisible to most thieves, since they won't know what to look for. They try your bike, but it won't start. The thief moves on to an easier target.

I liked the Digital Guard Dawg for one big reason. I forget my keys. I'm actually pretty bad about it. Since I can't start the bike without my key fob, I don't have to change any of my habits. I just install the special starter relay and I'll never forget my keys again!

The product comes in a neat packaging that I was immediately impressed with. The package contains everything you need to install the system, except for tools. You'll need a Phillips head screwdriver, a set of wire crimpers/cutters, and a good set of pliers, preferrably needlenose.

Installation is easy. I am a novice at best when it comes to wrenching. I installed mine in about half an hour. After I installed it, I spent another ten or fifteen minutes testing it and identifying how close to my bike I had to be before it would start. The directions were easy to follow and it worked without a hitch!

The system is made up of a key fob and a special starter relay. The key fob uses wireless communication and micro circuitry to send an encrypted code to the special starter relay, called a 'Smart Relay'. When the smart relay detects the signal from it's matching fob, it completes the circuit so that your bike will start. All you have to to is have the ignition on and the bike fires right up.

You won't ever need your key again! I'm not recommending tossing your key altogether. However, several people installed the Digital Guard Dawg and are now keyless.

The smart relay has to be on all the time, so it has a power line that runs directly to the battery. Other than that it looks just like a normal starter relay. The smart relay consumes .01 milliamps, so low in fact many meters have a tough time even measuring it. So there's no worry about the drain on your bike's battery.

The key fob takes a lithium CR 2450 that's designed to last one to three years. Replacements can be purchased at any electronics store. Battery replacement is as easy as removing two screws. The fob will being sending it's signal right away, so there's no special reprogramming.

If you lose your key fob, you can order a new one with an easy phone call. Or , when you order your Digita

Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done alittle research on these things. I like the fact that you can just run into the store or whatever and not have to key lock your ignition. That's a big plus However, I wish it also came packaged with a motion activated siren thatsounded when the bike was moved.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
flavoflav
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817

I've done a little research on these things. I like the fact that you can just run into the store or whatever and not have to key lock your ignition. That's a big plus However, I wish it also came packaged with a motion activated siren that sounded when the bike was moved.
Thats will out by early next year - here is a review of the Keyless Ignition Module.

http://www.westcoastbikers.com/digit...gnition-module

J -

Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Definitely would want two fobs. Can you imagine if you were on a road trip and lost or broke your only fob. Not sure I'm sold on the totally keyless (removal of keyslot) system.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

MMMmmmm sounds like my 08 proximity alarm fob to me!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 AM
flavoflav
Cruiser

Definitely would want two fobs. Can you imagine if you were on a road trip and lost or broke your only fob. Not sure I'm sold on the totally keyless (removal of keyslot) system.
if you loose your FOB you can call an 800 number and they will get you started. They have thought of that.

Also you can install this system in parallel with your key - so you could use either or.

J -

Old 12-12-2007, 11:12 AM
txfatboyz
Cruiser

my 07 came from HD with a key fob that does the same thing.
You have to be within a few feet of the bike other wise it will not start and the lights go a flashing.
I believe it called the factory HD alarm

Old 12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: flavoflav

if you loose your FOB you can call an 800 number and they will get you started. They have thought of that.

Also you can install this system in parallel with your key - so you could use either or.

J -
You mean they can start the bike remotely? That's some prettycool technology.Must be like Onstar where they can unlock your doors like that. I definitely want to upgrade the basic key system I have. It really is a pain having to lock your bike everytime you run into the store.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: txfatboyz

my 07 came from HD with a key fob that does the same thing.
You have to be within a few feet of the bike other wise it will not start and the lights go a flashing.
I believe it called the factory HD alarm
Some of us didn't get the "free" alarm like you did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Digital Guard Dawg