General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing V&H quiet baffles

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Larryc5079
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing V&H quiet baffles

I installed V&H quiet baffles on my '06 Superglide with Big Shot Staggered exhaust several weeks ago. I am wanting to put the original baffles back in, but am unable to remove the quiet baffles. Appears that the fiberglass is binding up. I have tried wd-40 and also running at idle for about 10 minutes, but it looks like the fiberglass is the problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Larry

Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: removing V&H quiet baffles

Use the screw you removed and put it on the baffle from the inside.
Form a hook with coat hanger or welding rod and start yanking.
Keep lubing it with WD or anything else you have.
Once you get the end of the baffle past the exhaust grab it with a large pair of pliers and twist as you pull.
If you decide to put them back in safety wire the wrap down tightly in several places.
Probably never guess how I know all this.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Sk1dM4rk
Cruiser

What I did was put the bolt into the baffle from inside the pipe (not all the way in). Then I took some cable and looped it around the protruding bolt and worked it out past the end of the exhaust pipe. Once it was far enough out of the pipe, I grabbed the lip of the baffle with pliers. It was very tight, but wd40 helped. It was a PITA though. Hope this helps. Good luck.

EDIT: nvsteve beat me to it. I'm guessing he and I learned the same way

Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
jkelley
Tourer

5 Lb. slide hammer hooked on the welded nut works!

Been there done that.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try removing the bolts oil them up and then run it up and down the road as fast as you can till they shoot right out the end of the pipes.[sm=gears.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 PM
YEFFRO12
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Larryc5079

I installed V&H quiet baffles on my '06 Superglide with Big Shot Staggered exhaust several weeks ago. I am wanting to put the original baffles back in, but am unable to remove the quiet baffles. Appears that the fiberglass is binding up. I have tried wd-40 and also running at idle for about 10 minutes, but it looks like the fiberglass is the problem. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Larry
Any particular reason why you're going back to the originals?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm also wondering why you want to change back? I had the same pipes with the "Quiet Baffle" on my bike and couldn't really hear much of a difference between the quiet and the standard. If anything they were mellower and less harsh.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Hughey79
Tourer

I had to replace one after a dyno guy drilled a hole in one. It took my neighbor and I almost two hours, I gave up and had to come in and watch the kids, he continued until it was out.
First he hooked onto the welded nut but the end cap it just spot welded on and came right out, then he got ahold of it with pliers and tried pulling and pulling and pulling- you get the idea.
He was making progress just very small progress each yank. Then the fiber glass started appearing. Then small chunks of it were taken when able to be done. We also used WD40 as well, not sure if that helped or not.
The wire mesh doesnt hold up well to pliers either and it was coming off in stretched piece by piece as well.
Finally is got close enough that the vice grip pliers got ahold of it and it came out. Somethings just dont come out as well as they went in.
I really wish that I could have taken off the end cap started her up and seen the baffle shoot out, aint gonna happen unless the fiber glass is shot and ready to be replaced.
Good luck and why are you going back?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Larryc5079
Cruiser

Thanks to all who responded. The reason I wanted to change back was to see the difference in sound. But it is too much work for that now, perhaps a winter project!! Never thought about putting screw in from the inside. Perhaps I will try that at a later date as I pushed the quiet baffles back in, securedthem and put the shields back on for now.

Anybody use BCT baffles in BSS exhaust? I can get a set cheap from a friend that said they were too loud for him.

Thanks again,

This forum is the BEST!!!!!

Larry

Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Sk1dM4rk
Cruiser

I removed mine because it made them too quiet. I loved the sound, it just wasn't loud enough. Gotta have loud pipes where I live or the idiot with the cell phone stuck to his or her ear will run you down. It seems like every cager on the road has a cell phone stuck to their ear during the morning commute to work.

Quick Reply: removing V&H quiet baffles