General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tractor Trailer Tire Blow-Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tractor Trailer Tire Blow-Out

Yeah, Last year on I 40W heading to Nashville I was coming up behind a semi when all of a sudden here comes two huge pieces of tread flopping toward me. I managed to get between them . There was a van behind me and I heard it hit. Looked in my mirror and saw it go of to the side and stop, another car pulled of also. Lucky, Lucky

Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM
fly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes...unfortunately. I was on my way back from Sturgis on I-29 leading a pack of 6 of us. I had just pulled into the passing lane whenone of the tires on the trailer blew.

The sound alone almost made me come off the bike...it was a serious explosion. Instantly, I was in a cloud of black tire particles that were hot as hell and peppering my face. Took forever to get these particles off my windshield later as some looked as if they melted to the bike.

The big pieces of the tire that you see lying in the road...well, they were flying thru the air like crazy. We all were extremely lucky. Only one big piece hit us...well it hit my highway peg and snapped it off at the bolt. Kuryakyn actually sent me a replacement when I told them the story!!! Had one of those road gators hit us, I have no doubt we would have went down.

I no longer leisurely pass semis anymore...I blast by like a bat out of hell.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:51 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in a car or on a bike NEVER ride along side the wheels of a big rig.especially in the summer

Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
LIRIDE
Road Warrior

Was riding to work last month, 3 lane of highway traffic east/west. An eastbound rig lost its rear tire - the entire outer layer flew off at a unbelieveable high rate of speed. Hit the front end of a small Honda on the westbound side. . The car had so much front end damage it looked like it rear ended the truck.

NEVER ride near or around a semi.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
HDSilvrStreak
Advanced

There was a rider here in Indiana that was killed on I-65 when a tire blew. It was either last summer or the year before. Got hit with the debris field from the tire.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fly

Yes...unfortunately. I was on my way back from Sturgis on I-29 leading a pack of 6 of us. I had just pulled into the passing lane whenone of the tires on the trailer blew.

The sound alone almost made me come off the bike...it was a serious explosion. Instantly, I was in a cloud of black tire particles that were hot as hell and peppering my face. Took forever to get these particles off my windshield later as some looked as if they melted to the bike.

The big pieces of the tire that you see lying in the road...well, they were flying thru the air like crazy. We all were extremely lucky. Only one big piece hit us...well it hit my highway peg and snapped it off at the bolt. Kuryakyn actually sent me a replacement when I told them the story!!! Had one of those road gators hit us, I have no doubt we would have went down.

I no longer leisurely pass semis anymore...I blast by like a bat out of hell.
We were coming back from Atlanta a few weeks ago driving in a cage and we stopped at a rest area on I-85. I was walking the dogs when a tractor trailer passing the rest area had a tire blow as I was watching it pass. What a noise and explosion! As Fly said, it was a serious explosion. Tire pieces were flying everywhere and the road gator rose majestically into the air and settled back down into the lane. No other vehicals were near the truck when it went off. I believe if a bike was next to the tire, it would blow the rider right off the bike and if it didn't, the road gator would certainly knock one off a bike. I pass as quickly as possible or fall back. I don't want to be near the tires of a big truck. Glad you were ok, Fly.
Tnicean

Old 07-13-2007, 04:14 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

They did a show on this on Mythbusters (discovery channel) last week. When the bike was alongside the tire it barely moved the bike. Most of the tread went out backwards. So they figured the large piece was going 40 mph. They shot it at a jell dummy with a helmet on with a pigs neck bone in it to replicate a humans. When it hit, the head became detached. (Not good)

It will definatly kill you if you get hit by a tread coming off a semi.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Clammy

I was driving a car on the highway one time, and I passed a big rig. About 10 secinds later I heard a loud "BOOM" and felt the car actually shake! I looked in my mirror, and saw that the rig had a tire blow out. A large pice of the tread that peeled off took out a car beside the truck and other chunks were flying all around. I can't imagine what that would be like if that tread hit a person on a bike... I don't think it would be a good situation.

Clammy
Actually 70% of the peeled rubber on the road is from New tires and not re-caps. Some useless fact I have learned over the years

Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 PM
4DZTOY
Advanced

Don't remember if it was last Summer or two Summers ago....but a guy here did get killed....was following a semi-truck when a trailer tire let go..... Like others have said.....I hang back of trucks aways until it's safe to blow by them as quickly as possible...

Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here with the summer heat their blow outs are pretty common. I have had them blow out when I was in a cage but not on a bike. I either fall back or get around them "right now"..

Quick Reply: Tractor Trailer Tire Blow-Out