General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Harley have a future?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Longsnowsm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Harley have a future?

Let me just start this by saying this is not a bash Harley post. This is more about the niche or dare I say it "rut" that Harley has itself in.

Once upon a time... In a galaxy far far away... Oops wrong story. A long time ago there were some very creative and innovative people that built this thing called a motorcycle. It was bleeding edge, new technology, innovative, and completely new. Only early adopters had them, and they mostly just looked like science experiments gone wrong and had that gimmicky look and feel to them. Harley and Indian were pioneers in this field of motorcycles. Basically motorized bicycles. These companies were creative, and the competition was fierce. The race was on to innovate, create, improve, and perform. Well the competition died and went away and Harley managed to dodge some serious bullets to survive. Now they own the cruiser niche with it's brand loyalty and have that historical nostalgia factor.

But the question is this... What will keep Harley in business? Any attempts to improve, innovate, or just enhance existing products is met with whining, complaining, bitching, and outright disgust from the customer base. The world is changing, the economy is changing, the energy that powers the world is changing. What will happen in the not so distant future when gasoline is no longer the primary fuel of choice? An economy powered by hydrogen, and renewable fuels does not bode well for a company like Harley when it's customers practically revolt over the change in color offering in a given year let alone a change in powerplant.

What does the future hold for Harley? I would venture to say unless they spin off a different company that puts them into the category of innovating and creating again it's future is limited. In a changing world, with huge numbers of people finally getting access to internal combustion engines, modern appliances, and finally starting to live a life that we in the US have been accustomed to our whole lives, the worlds supply of energy that we use today will be strained dramatically. People in China, and India, and other parts of the world are starting to reap the economic rewards of the global economy and their people are now wanting the same things that you and I have. This will mean we have to once again innovate, create, and be on the cutting edge. Will Harley be part of that? I am sure they want a part of it. But will it's customers allow them to be? Will they be able to push into new and innovative territory with bikes that run on hydrogen, alcohol, or electricity? Or will they be abandoned by thier customers?

When the cost of gasoline is $5, $8, or $10 a gallon will it then seem to make sense to customers that the old may not make as much sense as the creative, and innovative new?

I know there is the crowd here that is going to dog pile on this post and say there isn't going to be an energy shortage, there isn't a real problem. I hate to break it to you, but the Chineese already are squaring off with the US and the world over the worlds energy supply. They are trying to lock in deals today to ensure they have access to these limited resources. They have a Billion with a B people that want what we want, and world supplies are strained today. So I think you might want to tune into what is happening in the world of energy. Everyone has a pretty good idea that it is going to come to blows over our existing energy if we don't find better, smarter ways of doing things.

So what do you think? What will it take for Harley to survive? Do you think the company will still be selling what you see today in 20 years? Will customers allow the company to innovate, create, improve, and survive? If Harley produced an alcohol burning bike or say a hydrogen/electric bi

Old 07-28-2007, 03:11 PM
gargoyle
Banned
Default RE: Does Harley have a future?

But the question is this... What will keep Harley in business? Any attempts to improve, innovate, or just enhance existing products is met with whining, complaining, bitching, and outright disgust from the customer base.
[hr]
Youi just answered your own qustion most of don't whant them to change. look around just on this forum how many have 07s and haw many are already talking of getting an 08. this was said back in the 70s with gas prices and the coming of the jap bikes. thiry years later still here and on top.and harley losing whan gas goes to 5,10 or more a gal.? i think that will be when they sell the most bikes. that is a reson there are more riders out here today its cheaper to run a bike.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh, but gargoyle. are they , (HD), on top? Longsnowsm makes some longwinded sense..... It wouldn't be the first time complacency killed the cat....... As a substantially invested HD stockholder, ( and 3 bike owner),I was painfully aware that "we" are not on top when the first quarter came in 17 percent down in a market that grew 11 percent in the same quarter over last year. That, my friend is 28 percent behind the trend, even without the help of new math.

So here I sit, portfolio in hand , trying to make decisions in my best intrest... and I get the new Harley catalog full of the same stuff, "new" bikes that appear to be a parts bin experiment gone wrong, color schemes that make the inside of a baby's diaper look appealing, there "rocker" attempt at playing in the AIH/ BD type market, and $600 Chinese jackets that are tagged "American Tradition". I was more than happy to take my perfectly good $18K bike and add $11K to it to make it rideable, but are these appropriate directions for a company to take with a complete '07 model year full of howling, clanking, overheating junks, and no apparent significant attempt atimprovments in the '08 line???I don't think so....not on my watch.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:02 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: hoofnhog

Oh, but gargoyle. are they , (HD), on top? Longsnowsm makes some longwinded sense..... It wouldn't be the first time complacency killed the cat....... As a substantially invested HD stockholder, ( and 3 bike owner),I was painfully aware that "we" are not on top when the first quarter came in 17 percent down in a market that grew 11 percent in the same quarter over last year. That, my friend is 28 percent behind the trend, even without the help of new math.

So here I sit, portfolio in hand , trying to make decisions in my best intrest... and I get the new Harley catalog full of the same stuff, "new" bikes that appear to be a parts bin experiment gone wrong, color schemes that make the inside of a baby's diaper look appealing, there "rocker" attempt at playing in the AIH/ BD type market, and $600 Chinese jackets that are tagged "American Tradition". I was more than happy to take my perfectly good $18K bike and add $11K to it to make it rideable, but are these appropriate directions for a company to take with a complete '07 model year full of howling, clanking, overheating junks, and no apparent significant attempt atimprovments in the '08 line???I don't think so....not on my watch.
do you really have stock? are you really investing? if so that ups and downs are a cost of doing business and buyin stock that is a risk... hell it is not a risk worth even worrying about. The rocker will sell out better then the street glide, the colors look great and the leather is nothing new in the last 10 years..... so your bitching has noground and a leg to stand on. colors are better then two or three years ago ahwn they had purples and yellows on everything and they are not that ifferent then in past... both when sales were up........ just because sales are down does not mean a company is making no money and the stock will be worth nothing. Maybe they are headed in another direction and the peek is on a don slide for a bit... it still does not make your stock junk.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:14 PM
sgt joseph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOVERMENTS is what could kill harley and lots of other companies thatuse internal combustion engines to power their vehicles or equiptment.....Global warming CONCERNS are absolute RUBBISH and DEMOGOGERY by powerful people who think us folks need to look to them for ANSWERS to THEIRmade upcrisis called manmade global warming.....If we as a people fall for this SCAM we DESERVE what the goverment doles out to us......Whilst goverment officials, hollywood actors and celebrities drive around in LIMOS, SUVS, PRIVATE JETS,.......Have 15 thousand sq foot houses cooled and heated by 5 central heat and air units running 24-7.....Hollywood car chase scenes blowing up cars, buildings, planes, billowing smoke into the air for SPECIAL EFFECTS........ These are the same people that tell US SHEEPLE about manmade global warming........FERGETABOUTIT !

Inventions typically take place when their is a need, and MONEY can be made.....If the manmade global warming zealots put the screws to fossil fuel burning engines......Something else will come along and some back yard tinkerer will come up with an engine that runs on something else.....Recently i saw a cat on t.v that figured out how to burn SALT WATER.....They had a small engine running on it.....And the heat produced by the burning of the salt water was 1500 degrees......He happened into this simple process while trying to figure out how to help cure cancer.......Things are always changing.....For instance, back when i was a young lad, i was taught the almighty controlled the weather and the seasons etc........Now i guess thats not the case anymore!!!!!POLITICIANS are now GOD, vote for them and they will FIX the weather !...........There is a FOOL born every minute !

One other thing......the new harley rocker i hear alot of folks ******* out.........Will probably sell like hot cakes.....I suspect they will have trouble keeping up with the high demands for them.....Going to be ALOT of 06 and 07 year model bikes for sale in the next 6 months.....Its just the way things happen when something new comes along.......Then things will then settle down until the next big thing !!!!! And thats capitalism at its best!

Old 07-28-2007, 04:39 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

They will survive because of people like me and there is a lot of us out there.As long as they keep listening to their customer base,and making the adjustments to keep us happy,why wouldn't they survivr as long as any Co.with whatour future has to offer.Does anyone really know?

Old 07-28-2007, 04:52 PM
stcrider07
Cruiser

I don't think Harley will ever really fall. Harley has a large loyal fan base so to speak, and a history to support it. If Harley does come out with changes in the future they will not completely do away with the bikes of today. Harley hasn't been around this long because they do what they think they can do, they actually listen and know what their customers want. If they do come out with something new, more power to them, but they will keep their current and long time customers happy. Harley doesn't want to take a huge risk and completely do away with what they have going now. Not only that but this big change in the future that you talk about, how soon do you really think that will happen. Right now out economy can't handle that change there for it won't happen any time soon. IF the gas prices get up that high, that means that everything else will increase in price and so will salaries and people will still be able to afford the bikes and still be happy. That is the way I feel about it, Harley has a strong future as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Urban Coyote
Cruiser

I think Harley Davidson will do fine in the future. They may have their good years and bad years, but if you look at it, more and morepeople, like myself, who aren't those who live the typical 100% biker lifestyle are buying motorcycles for eitherenjoyment or as a lower fuel consuming vehicleand are attracted to just having a Harley for it's history of an American motorcycle company. Old-time Harley die-hards may frown on Harley Davidson's changes in manufacturing and outsourcing, but to the new generation of motorcycle owners that probably doesn't matter that much since they are already accustomed to it.
You never know , 25-50 years from now where everything may bemade in another country, Harley Davidson bikes could be made 100% overseas and sold at lower prices making them more competative with other companies and while it may have lost it's American made reputation,as long aspeople buyHD bikes, whetehr they like the name, looks, sound, etc or especially at a price they can afford, HD will stay in business.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:46 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley sales might be down in the states,but we can't get enough in Canada.My dealer sold out in early May.If you want a Glide you have to wait untill June of 08 for one.Harley is starting to change.A lot of the new bikes are using fly by wire tech.I think Harley-Davison will remain strong for many years tocome.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:36 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Harley sales are not down in the states. Harley's greatest growth in the last quarter was in international sales but domestic sales are not down.

Quick Reply: Does Harley have a future?