General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD PIPES RUIN LIVES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 AM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LOUD PIPES RUIN LIVES!

I saw this in the OC Register today and it reminded me of the smash hit by Queen, "Another one bites the dust." Dun dun, dudunt..another one bites the dust. Anddddd...nother ones gone and nother ones gone...another on bites the dust. Hey...gonna get you to...another one BITES THE DUST!

http://www.ocregister.com/news/noise-anaheim-bikers-1790710-readings-label

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you! At the risk of saying, I told you so, let me remind you...I TOLD YOU SO!! This is exactly what happens when you don't respect your neighbors and the community around you. So for all those times, you drove down a quiet residential street deliberately setting off car alarms, revved your engine just to **** off your neighbor as you drive by, annoy people while they enjoy their breakfast/lunch at some quaint outdoor cafe byrapping your pipes to create unnecessary noise...this is what you get. Riding is a freedom. Like any freedom if you abuse it, then those freedoms are taken away. This is proof!

You can complain all you want, but the damagehasbeen done and the publicsees us as a nuisance.Our image/reputation isbeing ruined. The publichasbegunto lash out at us. We've all seen or at least heard about the publicexhibiting road rage towards us while we are out riding our bikes.Some have witnessedthey've become dangerously aggressive . As we've seen with CARB, what happens herein the motorcycle capital,will eventually affect everyone else. So don't think this can't happen in your town/city. You can give all themoney want to ABATEbut it isn't going to change a thing. The EPA is a federally run organization and they are tightening their grip aroundour throats on both thenoise and emissions issue.We're losing the battle. ABATE can go screw themselves, as far as the EPA is concerned. So what's next?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:05 AM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: LOUD PIPES RUIN LIVES!

Here's a supplement to my post. Just found this quote from the AMA.

The AMA has gone so far as to make a policy statement on the issue which reads " The [AMA] believes that few other factors contribute more to misunderstanding and prejudice against the motorcycling community than excessively noisy motorcycles". They then go on to say, "Shifting blame and failing to adopt responsible policies on a voluntary basis can only result in greater prejudice and discrimination against motorcycling. The consequences of continuing to ignore this issue will likely result in excessively rigorous state and federal standards, ……[and] abusive enforcement of current laws and other solutions undesirable to riders and the motorcycle industry"

Old 07-31-2007, 03:30 AM
kerberos
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I call "Drama Queen".

The law they are enforcing is the noise abatement act of 1972. Your rant is a little late, don't you think?

wt

Old 07-31-2007, 03:35 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am 42 years old. I have done many illegal things in my life, including car mods. I have yet to get hassled by the cops.

WHY?

Cause I don't hassle them.

Simple as that.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 AM
squid
Banned

I thought Milwaukee was the motorcycle capitol?

Old 07-31-2007, 05:02 AM
turtlebug
Cruiser

I'm interested in knowing how the meter readings are taken....if you are in a group, do they make everyone shut thier bikes off and check them one at a time? In a group....you are going to be loud, probably go off the meter.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:12 AM
grasman
Cruiser

If people would just use some common sense, they would not have to worry about it. In my neighborhood the other night, some idiot rode up past my house cracking the throttle, then around the block, sped down the next street, then back off the throttle going down hill, then down my street, then back up the same street again, all the while trying to impress someone with his loud pipes-maybe himself.

That's the kind of BS that makes it bad on the rest of us. I'm all for loud pipes as I have open pipes on mine, I just don't go around trying to make myself heard for the hell of it.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that I've become older and wiser, I'm going to try and practice some restraint and see if I can't stay out of this one. [sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 07-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whaap

Now that I've become older and wiser, I'm going to try and practice some restraint and see if I can't stay out of this one. [sm=popcorn.gif]
Right, why bother anyway, like trying to **** up a rope.[&:]

Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 AM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't the cops have something better to do...like find real criminals?

Quick Reply: LOUD PIPES RUIN LIVES!