General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please, beware and assist those trapped on new Harleys.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:59 PM
songsmith
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please, beware and assist those trapped on new Harleys.

If you are planning a new 07 or 08 Harley with the 96 and six speed please DON"T! IF you do you may well end up like many of us who now have noise machines that chirp and bump and grind so badly they are no joy.

Want to ride your NEW Ultra or RK with your friends who will laugh at you or look at you with pity because of what you are STUCK WITH!

The dealer will deny, and read scripted answersfrom MoCo. They will offer to sell you "fixes" for three hundred dollars and up which are actually only probably short term bandaids for problems in manufacturing and cheap components.

Before you buy, read in the transmission and engine section about noises and rattles in 07 and possible 08 models. But also read about how Harley is treating those who spent so many thousands on thier new purchases.

I know. I AM ONE! I am paying near 15,000 for the priviledge of writing this post. So I am no empty voice. Nor are the 58 pages of discussion in that forum.

DO NOT BUY WHAT YOU WILL NOT WANT. I did, and am stuck.

Tom

Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Default RE: Please, beware and assist those trapped on new Harleys.

Are those the kind of people you call friends??...I call 'em something totally different!
ORIGINAL: songsmith

Want to ride your NEW Ultra or RK with your friends who will laugh at you or look at you with pity because of what you are STUCK WITH!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:08 PM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang Tom, I hope you get your bike fixed like you want it without having to come outta pocket. You seem very P'd and probably righly so, I havn't heard your bike so I don't know if it's any noisier than mine or not, probably so.

Anyway I hope all turns out well for ya.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 PM
mnblaster
Advanced

I did alot of searching for an 06 for my wife, I wanted an 88 with a five speed for her, i'm not convinced that the bugs are out of the 6 speed and the 96 runs too hot.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:18 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master

Thanks for the warning.

I love my QUIET 2007 FLHTC. No "chirps," no "bumps," no "grinds," no errors.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:19 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I put 5,000 miles on a 2006 Dyna with the 6 speed tranny with no trouble. Also put 1,000 miles on a 2007 EG Classic with the 96ci engine and 6 speed tranny, also with no trouble. Sorry to hear yours isn't running right. There are thousands out there that are.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:27 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: songsmith

If you are planning a new 07 or 08 Harley with the 96 and six speed please DON"T! IF you do you may well end up like many of us who now have noise machines that chirp and bump and grind so badly they are no joy.

The dealer will deny, and read scripted answersfrom MoCo. They will offer to sell you "fixes" for three hundred dollars and up which are actually only probably short term bandaids for problems in manufacturing and cheap components.

Before you buy, read in the transmission and engine section about noises and rattles in 07 and possible 08 models. But also read about how Harley is treating those who spent so many thousands on thier new purchases.

I know. I AM ONE! I am paying near 15,000 for the priviledge of writing this post. So I am no empty voice. Nor are the 58 pages of discussion in that forum.

DO NOT BUY WHAT YOU WILL NOT WANT. I did, and am stuck.

Tom
For thisEXACT REASON I haven't replaced my '03 Ultra for a newer one. I've been waiting and waiting and waiting. My gut has told me don't buy! Wait! Keep riding what you already have. So that's what I am doing. I want to buy an '08 but something tells me there are issueswe don't yet know about.

Lot's of people say..."oh quit whining and JUST RIDE!" I love that one. Unfortunately many of the people who say that either don't have problems with their bikes, don't own an '07 or have lower standards and are willing to accept it. The problems mentioned by the '07owners would drive me friggin nuts!

So in the menatime, I sit back and patiently wait until I can see that things have improved.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:36 PM
streetboob
Road Warrior

The ONLY problem I got with my 07 Street Bob is the rear tire is bald at 6500 miles. Most likely because I don't baby her. I am grabbing a fistful of throttle about 95% of the time. I take good care of her. Amsoil in primary and engine and Mobil 1 gear oil in tranny. Sorry to hear about your problems, but mine is fine.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:39 PM
x2lee
Banned

i think there is enuff folks complaining that there is a real problem going on and I think he is doing people a real service by telling what he is.. At the least you go in KNOWING that some of these bikes may be abnormal and you can look for it on your test drives and maybe pick on that isnt screwing up.
My opinion is, there is no sense in this happening out of a supposed quality company....
ORIGINAL: LowriderFXRS

Thanks for the warning.

I love my QUIET 2007 FLHTC. No "chirps," no "bumps," no "grinds," no errors.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:44 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I met my neighbors freind a week ago.Herode down hereon his '07 Street Glide(with 11,000 miles)to get a seat made at Corbin.While speaking to him he had no complaints!I dont think all the bikes have some of these problems.

Quick Reply: Please, beware and assist those trapped on new Harleys.