General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo glass removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo glass removal?

Like a lot of other Harley owners, I had condensation in my speedo. I solved this by drilling a vent hole in the speedo case, but I still have some residue on the inside of the speedo glass that I can see when the sun is in the right position and it irritates me. I have been told that it is possible but not easy to remove the glass to clean the inside of the glass. Does anyone here know how to do this? I'm willing to try and report on the results, but I need some advice first on how to do it.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Speedo glass removal?

NO...its gonna break and youre gonna hafta use JB Weld[:-]

Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 AM
TraumaKing
Banned

Yes it can be done, and I have done it, It is a gentle operation and takes patience!

Remove the speedo ( assuming you know how to do this)

Place the speedo face down on a soft well padded terry cloth towel (folded over a few times for cushioning)

Get a small flat head micro screw driver and gently start working the base metal lip that is sealed against the plastic housing
( you may need to go around the speedo numerous times gently pryin little by little keeping even consistency all the way around)

Once you have opened the lip up enough you can remove the speedo and housing from the chrome and glass covering

Do what you need to and after cleanng the inside of the glass do not touch it or you could leave a print on the inside!

Replace the housing and glass, set it back down face down ( lens toward the towel)

Find a small square flat metal object ( I used ahand socketdriver that is used to attach sockets to ( looks like a screwdriver handle)
place it on the lip that has the edge that has been pryed up and using a medium weight dead blow mallet gently tap the lip back in its regular place. Work your way around numerous times to obtain a flat smoth seal. .........and there you have it! The plastic housing is pretty tough and will take some abuse pretty well. never had a problem with condensation at all!

I had purchased a nostalgic speedo off E-bay and it had a visor on it that must have been welded on! It just would not come off so I replaced the it with the trim ring on my stock speedo and that is the proccess I used.!

This is my stock lens and bezel on my nostalgic speedo after the operation!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

Thank you TraumaKing! I will try your method tomorrow and report the results. I feel pretty comfortable with this, I have lots of tools for working with clocks and now that I know what I have to do I sure I can pull it off successfully.

Maybe we can start a business doing this? I bet there are a lot of fellows who need to clean the inside of their speedo glass. Just kidding, I think...

Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 PM
TraumaKing
Banned

Very gladI could help, let me know how it comes out, by the way I shot you another e-mail

Take care and be safe!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

Well, my speedo now looks like a brand new one. TraumaKing is my new hero.
I pretty much followed his directions, it takes a while to work out the rolled over edge on the metal lip so you can get the lip off of the plastic housing and access the glass. I spent maybe 20-30 minutes, started with a jewelers screwdriver and worked up to a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Once the glass is out, make sure you clean it all the way. I used 409 and a rag, but the residue from the condensation did not come off. I ended up using a single edge razor blade and scraping it off. That worked fine. Now, if I can figure out how come the condensation in the speedo had all those minerals in it...

Anyway, I put it back together and recrimped the lip edges. I sanded a small chamfer on the edge of the plastic housing to make it easier to get the lip over it. If you do this, make certain you have all of the dust out of there before you close it up. When you recrimp the edges, push down on the speedo case to press the lip right up against the rubber seal on the glass. This will make an easier crimp job.

When you put the speedo back in the console, a little vaseline will let the speedo fit into the rubber retaining ring. Without this, you will curse a few times because the ring will be pushed inside the console every time.

It sure is nice not to have to look at those deposits on the inside of my speedo anymore! Thank you TraumaKing!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:08 PM
TraumaKing
Banned

Your very welcome! GladI could help!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
clueless
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Tommy Meisel

Well, my speedo now looks like a brand new one. TraumaKing is my new hero.
I pretty much followed his directions, it takes a while to work out the rolled over edge on the metal lip so you can get the lip off of the plastic housing and access the glass. I spent maybe 20-30 minutes, started with a jewelers screwdriver and worked up to a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Once the glass is out, make sure you clean it all the way. I used 409 and a rag, but the residue from the condensation did not come off. I ended up using a single edge razor blade and scraping it off. That worked fine. Now, if I can figure out how come the condensation in the speedo had all those minerals in it...

Anyway, I put it back together and recrimped the lip edges. I sanded a small chamfer on the edge of the plastic housing to make it easier to get the lip over it. If you do this, make certain you have all of the dust out of there before you close it up. When you recrimp the edges, push down on the speedo case to press the lip right up against the rubber seal on the glass. This will make an easier crimp job.

When you put the speedo back in the console, a little vaseline will let the speedo fit into the rubber retaining ring. Without this, you will curse a few times because the ring will be pushed inside the console every time.

It sure is nice not to have to look at those deposits on the inside of my speedo anymore! Thank you TraumaKing!
Silicon spray works better and conditions your rubber seal when putting the speedo back in.