General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remanufactured Motors by HD MoCo, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
mechanical designer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remanufactured Motors by HD MoCo, anyone?

Has anyone ever used the HD "Remanufacturing" on their Evo motor?
If so, I am curious about your experience, good or bad and what the "total' charge was.
I see they offer a flat rate and then tack on labor, part, fluids, gaskets, and whatever else.
If the HD remanufacture price for my Evo motor (silver and polished) says $1995... what can I 'really' expect to pay?

Old 08-15-2007, 05:31 PM
BrockRKC06
Cruiser
Default RE: Remanufactured Motors by HD MoCo, anyone?

I am pretty absolutely certain you must go through your local dealer for this and that is where you will get the most accurate pricing.

I do know however of some people taking their motors in to the dealer, letting them crate them up in the "official motor crate" sending it off to be fixed and picking up the new motor at the dealer for you take home and install as you wish. This may save you some money if you are of the mind to do the swap yourself. I am not suggesting all dealers allow this, but if you have a relationship with your dealer and he knows you it may be somethingworth asking. I am guessing this is where the labor and fluids charges are (dealer swap out and re install).

You will get the motor back as good as if not better then stock. If you have upgraded pistons/cams other internal parts you will not get them back in the freshened up motor they will put it all back to stock specs. Any part out of spec you get a brand new one to included cases. They will just re stamp the vin into them.

What I am also curious to know is if you do send in your motor and get back a completely overhauled one, what is your new speedometer mileage at that point? You effectively have a brand new motor with no mileage on it. Can you legally get a new speedometer and set the clock at 0? My instincts tell me no, but who has changed a new speedometer on a bike and not adjusted the mileage back to correct numbers. Is the mileage even stored in the speedometer or is it locked into the ECM and that updates any new speedo the first time you fire it up?

Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you're talking about this program:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real question , is why go with a somewhat anemic stock motor , when you could prolly get MUCH better performance with a performance build from a quality builder?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:38 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some people are more than happy with the stock preformence. Believe it ...................Or not

Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rydermike

Real question , is why go with a somewhat anemic stock motor , when you could prolly get MUCH better performance with a performance build from a quality builder?
I will second that. Git a much better motor also. Probaly a better price when its said and done.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 AM
bronk
Road Master

I think they are ok.If your on a serious budget, its not a bad route to go.The price is definatly right!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:38 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BrockRKC06

I am pretty absolutely certain you must go through your local dealer for this and that is where you will get the most accurate pricing.

I do know however of some people taking their motors in to the dealer, letting them crate them up in the "official motor crate" sending it off to be fixed and picking up the new motor at the dealer for you take home and install as you wish. This may save you some money if you are of the mind to do the swap yourself. I am not suggesting all dealers allow this, but if you have a relationship with your dealer and he knows you it may be somethingworth asking. I am guessing this is where the labor and fluids charges are (dealer swap out and re install).

You will get the motor back as good as if not better then stock. If you have upgraded pistons/cams other internal parts you will not get them back in the freshened up motor they will put it all back to stock specs. Any part out of spec you get a brand new one to included cases. They will just re stamp the vin into them.

What I am also curious to know is if you do send in your motor and get back a completely overhauled one, what is your new speedometer mileage at that point? You effectively have a brand new motor with no mileage on it. Can you legally get a new speedometer and set the clock at 0? My instincts tell me no, but who has changed a new speedometer on a bike and not adjusted the mileage back to correct numbers. Is the mileage even stored in the speedometer or is it locked into the ECM and that updates any new speedo the first time you fire it up?
The rest of the bike still has miles on it though. All of the bearings, bushings, etc. Just write down what mileage you are at when you put the new motor in, then you can keep track of how many miles are on the motor.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
redscout
Road Captain

Michaelbarry is right... Often the engine is the last thing to go, especially on a bike that vibrates as much as a Harley, plus in Indiana at least, this will get flagged as an odometer discrepancy and will be on the title forever. And that's if someone doesn't get investigated for fraud as well.

Best to keep the mileage wherever it was and show any potential buyers the rebuild receipts...

Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

I researched it about five or six years ago. Have to go to a dealer and have them take out your motor and install it when it gets back. The cost is the remanufature cost and the labor to remove/install. Oh ya and it will be back to stock specs, If you had any mods (cams, head work etc.) it will be stock when you get it back.

Kendell Johnson had the same deal except you ship to him and he will make it better then stock. At the time it cost the same to have the motor done and shipping depended on your location.

I bought a RevTec 100" instead. I wish they had Ultama El Bruto's then can't beat the price and I have not heard anything bad about them.

Quick Reply: Remanufactured Motors by HD MoCo, anyone?