General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double bummer of a day...

Old 11-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts
Default Double bummer of a day...

Two things happened I dread happened today: due to the crap weather, today was the last riding day in the season for me. And worse, I got caught in a snow storm, and laid my Night Train down... I guess the saying "there are 2 types of bikers - those that have laid her down and those that are going to" is true.

Luckily for me it was at a very low speed, and the damage is minimal: scratched up derby cover, bent shifter lever, lightly scratched shifter peg, lightly scratched left side mirror stem and mirror, lightly scratched left side driver's footpeg, slightly ground down clucth lever and slightly ground down clutch lever housing. I got a good sized scuff on the left sleeve of my leather jacket. My left elbow is banged up a bit and a little scraped, and I can feel my left shoulder/arm stiffening up now...

Man, I couldn't have been going faster than 10 mph coming up to a stop light, applying VERY light braking, and the front wheel just locked up and the whole bike kicked out from under me. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. I'm glad there was no one coming up behind me to run me over! I found out that I can lift her up pretty easliy, although I'm sure the adrenaline rush helped!

So, tomorrow she goes into storage at the dealer, and I willhave them fix her up over the winter, along with the Kuryakyn panacea setup, cams/gear drive, and the siren/pager setup for the alarm.

WINTER SUCKS ***!!!!!!![:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@]

Come on MARCH!!!!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Double bummer of a day...

Sorry to hear about your accident! Glad you're okay though. Ice and snow are very unforgiving on two wheels. Have you ever considered flying south for the winter! Good riding weather here, and lots of Canadians winter here.

Steve

Old 11-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: UltraGeezerGlide

Sorry to hear about your accident! Glad you're okay though. Ice and snow are very unforgiving on two wheels. Have you ever considered flying south for the winter! Good riding weather here, and lots of Canadians winter here.

Steve
Every winter day I wish I was down there with you guys!!!

Cheers!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:35 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master

Bummer, man!!! On the other hand, no way anybody can say you didn't suck the last possible day outta the season. You put her in storage ONLY when she'd no longer stay on the rubber!! Good show.

I am bummed about your bike, though. Hate to hear about it happening to anyone. When it happened to me, I just took it as a good time to change some things. Black mirrors, black levers, various other odds and ends. Gotta be something good come outta this, no?

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

You should come sometime, just put the bass on the scoot and rock on.

Steve

Old 11-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BikerInTheDesert

Bummer, man!!! On the other hand, no way anybody can say you didn't suck the last possible day outta the season. You put her in storage ONLY when she'd no longer stay on the rubber!! Good show.

I am bummed about your bike, though. Hate to hear about it happening to anyone. When it happened to me, I just took it as a good time to change some things. Black mirrors, black levers, various other odds and ends. Gotta be something good come outta this, no?

Good luck.
Yup, I pushed the limit (a little too far I guess!). I checked the forecast this morning and it was calling for "trace snow" in the after noon... instead it snowed on and off all day, and like crazy in the evening... it wasn't snowing when I left work, but it started not long after and came down fast and hard!

Since the clutch lever got ground down a bit, I think i'm going to have some black levers installed, heheheh...

Cheers!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Steve
I will definitely. I'm planning a cross country ride to California either next summer or the summer after, and I was planning on hitting Phoenix to visit a friend. I'll swing by Tucson too!!!

Thanks for the invite!

Cheers!

Old 11-18-2005, 02:00 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

ORIGINAL: Clammy

Steve
I will definitely. I'm planning a cross country ride to California either next summer or the summer after, and I was planning on hitting Phoenix to visit a friend. I'll swing by Tucson too!!!

Thanks for the invite!

Cheers!

Ever ridden in 130 degree heat? You may want to visit Phoenix and Tucson in the spring or fall.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

We'll leave the light on for you

Steve

Old 11-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Hugo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Softail Night Train has to be the beauty of the bunch & I never tire of looking at it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Double bummer of a day...