General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:01 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: steering wobble

ORIGINAL: biz44

"If you get a shimmy and more tightening does nothing to help, then suspect that the steering head bearings have shifted and the races are no longer parallel to the axis of the steering head. This is not unusual in HD bikes as they are relatively heavy. Modern bike head bearings tend to shift back and forth in the frame, especially on the heavier bikes, and this causes the bearings to become non-parallel. Any free play in the head bearings will compound this situation. This sets up torque forces that constantly try to correct themselves resulting in a shimmy, or head shake. The cause is not looseness; the bearings have shifted, and things ain't parallel. Pull the front end off and try to reseat the races in the frame neck."

This is a fairy tail. The steering head bearings have NEVER shifted or the races become non-parallel in my 26 years of turning wrenches on bikes both professionally and freelance.......its just bunk.

(Snip)

But hey what do I know..........its late and I been drinking.

Your 26 years against Samuel's 50+ years.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:14 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah Biz44 it was a fork tube,,,,I always inflate my inner tubes twice when changing tires....
Hay u been wrenching awhile,,,,do u use the same method of tire aligment I use.....the 25ft drop to your knees method wit the rider up and his eyes closed.....just curryass...I've used florcent light bulbs on sidecars....just curryass how the rest of the world does it......

Old 08-26-2007, 10:19 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: YUCK

yeah Biz44 it was a fork tube,,,,I always inflate my inner tubes twice when changing tires....
Hay u been wrenching awhile,,,,do u use the same method of tire aligment I use.....the 25ft drop to your knees method wit the rider up and his eyes closed.....just curryass...I've used florcent light bulbs on sidecars....just curryass how the rest of the world does it......
Never done it that way. I have run a straight edge down the side at the ground level just to see if there is a off set from front to rear. Normally I just check the clearance at the wheel spacer (up front that is), and in the rear I use either frame markings or a small steel ruler and measure.