General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having fun at 35 MPH!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Urban Coyote
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having fun at 35 MPH!!

Well, I was out again this afternoon, practicing ridingon my 883C. I found a nice long sidestreet where I was able to open her up a little to 35 mph! I had a hugegrin on my face! Believe it or not, that is the fastest I've taken my bike so far and it was quite the rush..well...for a newbie like me.

What will I feel when I hit 55, 65 mph??

It will be awhile before I will feel the need for rice rocket speed. My 883C will do just fine for me for quite awhile.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Having fun at 35 MPH!!

Funny that you posted this, on the way home from work just now I opened the ol' evo up to 100 in a big straight stretch of highway. What a rush. No windshield, nothing holding the wind off of me..just me and the breeze at 100 mph. Glad you got a little taste of adrenaline too. Take it easy, and don't get in a hurry. If it takes you 5 years until you feel comfortable going over 35 mph, don't rush it and you'll do just fine. Congrats[&:]

Old 08-27-2007, 04:38 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will come, you are doing the right thing right now. Just keep up the practise and you will each and every time gain something from it. Try to ride as much as you can.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Urban Coyote

Well, I was out again this afternoon, practicing ridingon my 883C. I found a nice long sidestreet where I was able to open her up a little to 35 mph! I had a hugegrin on my face! Believe it or not, that is the fastest I've taken my bike so far and it was quite the rush..well...for a newbie like me.

It will be awhile before I will feel the need for rice rocket speed. My 883C will do just fine for me for quite awhile.
Ya know... just a few months ago, I thought 35 was the fastest I'd ever go. I remember telling a friend that I'd never get on the freeway and do 60+.

Weeelll, those days are gone. 30 to 35 now feels a bit slow and I tend to cruise at 40. The Freeway is no big deal, and I recently came screaming up a nice long freeway hill and found myself doing 70 by the time I got to the top.

You'll get used to it. Trust me on this.

Keep practicing. By taking your time, and practicing, you're doing it the right way.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:46 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

Back streets are fun when you're starting out, but, when you're ready for it, once you hit freeway speeds you'll be hooked for life.

<><Peace

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
narosar
Tourer

As others have said, take it easy and do not rush, higher speeds come in time when you are ready.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 PM
deuceaholic
Intermediate

I used to ride rice rockets before I got my deuce, so I always had a jacket on. When I bought my deuce, I rode it from the seller's house to mine with just jeans and a t-shirt. Was riding about 65 mph at the fastest. My brother was following me in my car, and said I kept looking down. When I got home, he said what was I doing, because he thought for sure I was going to wreck, not keeping my eye on the road. I said I kept looking down because I thought my t-shirt was going to rip right off my body! LOL. I then realized what an idiot I was.

So, the first time you go riding with just a t-shirt, and get up to speed, don't worry, it won't rip off your body. LOL.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will feel like you need a 6th gear. J/K.

Glad you are enjoying the bike. I love to ride my wifes 883. Feels like it is on rails compared to my Dyna, and my Dyna feels pretty good too.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM
narosar
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

It will feel like you need a 6th gear. J/K.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Urban Coyote
Cruiser

Though I am not riding at high speeds on the highway, I went and bought a Shift Airborne mesh,armored jacket for added protection while riding in the hot sun. Just in case I may take a fall even at the slowest of speeds. Was $99 at a local bike store.
Didn't want to get caught up buying everythingof Harley Davidson brand and paying alot more..
Nice jacket. Silver and black. Very light, flexible andbreathable. Armor in shoulders and elbows. A light layer of back padding with an additional pocket for spinal armor.

Quick Reply: Having fun at 35 MPH!!