General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use Nitrogen in your tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:44 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you use Nitrogen in your tires ?

ORIGINAL: Lost1

"The cost: 80 cu ft (approx 40” tall x 10” wide, 35 lbs tank cost filled, $100 to re-fill $15.00
Regulator, you need to cut down the pressure from tanks 3,000 lbs to 100 lbs, cost $50"

I'be been riding bikes since 1973:
Number of tires I've had die or become unusable on me due to too much water vapor in them: 0
Number of rims I've lost to rust or corosion: 0
Number of times my tires became unstable due to temperature fluctuations: 0
Number of times per year I have to add air to my tires: 2-3

I'm an aviation mechanic and yes, we use nitrogen in our aircraft tires. While I see the benefits of using it in aircraft tires, for street use I consider it nothing more than just another way to separate people from their money. I've had it at my disposal for free for the last 20 years, and I still won't waste my time putting it in any tire I own.
Everyone gets 78% pure nitrogen in their tires for free. Considering the highest % you'll likely get in a tire (unless you pull a serious vacuum on it before filling) is about 95%, that is an awful expensive 17% of something there's really no documented need for. Even if you got 100% nitrogen in there (impossible, but we'll pretend) you still aren't ahead anything. The tire will wear out long before water vapor damages it beyond use, and with minimal upkeep the rim will last several decades before rust/corrosion makes it unusable. And finally, the limited impact of temp & altitude fluctuations are pretty much irrelevent for most street vehicles.
The $150 you'll spend just to get started will never be recouped, and you stand to gain nothing tangible for your money. A better idea would be to send me $150, and in return I'll send you a Thank You card. At least you'll have a card to show for your money...

As they say- to each his own...
"Lost1,"
"I'be been riding bikes since 1973: "
We are tied, ’72 Triumph Bonneville and no sportster could ever get around it.

"Number of tires I've had die or become unusable on me due to too much water vapor in them: 0 "
unusable ? ok, but no water vapor in any of them ?

"Number of rims I've lost to rust or corrosion: 0 "
Same, but I found there was rust and corrosion, nothing that emery cloth couldn’t cure, but it wasn’t a fun time to do.

"Number of times my tires became unstable due to temperature fluctuations: 0 "
unstable due to temp flucs, no again, too strong of a word, unstable

"Number of times per year I have to add air to my tires: 2-3"
2 to 3 times from March to Dec. to me a PIA, I usually find out there low in the middle of the corner and I don’t like that at all
"I'm an aviation mechanic"
That’s nice, I like to where someone gets their opinion
"for street use I consider it nothing more than just another way to separate people from their money."
Race cars and motorcycles use it, no I don’t take street curves anywhere near those speeds, but I also didn’t get my nick-name for bar-hopping and sitting in bars either.
[left]"Even if you got 100% nitrogen in there (impossible, but we'll pretend) you still aren't ahead anything. The tire will wear out long before water vapor damages it beyond use, and with minimal upkeep th

Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: RED E GLIDE

I'm an automotive tech and service alot of cars. All the cars with green valve caps come in with low pressure just like ones the with regular air in them!
Race cars and airplanes can use it, but I have to say its a waste of money for the street. I thought you going to say it saves gas.
"RED E GLIDE"
Nitrogen filled tires saves gas ? please : - )))
Ride safe, RED
cj

Old 09-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Canedog
Cruiser

I ordered me some clear tires the other day and I am going to fill them with NEON, I use to work for a air seperation company and we compressed gasses so I still got some contacts. If I can figure out how them neon lights work and convert that to my tires that will be super cool. And you think of the crotch rocket people .....they will be all over that ....... might even make flashing tires ..... forget N2O tires its NEON for me!
Dog

Old 09-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cj: Or as an alternative to the nitrogen, you could do like the old-time truckers did before all these onboard compressors and SCUBA tanks were available and use plain old Propane gas in their tires. It worked very well for all the same reasons you put forth for pure nitrogen. Plus every trucker I talked with about propane swore the tires filled with propane ran cooler than air filled tires. There was a slight downside in case of a crash with a fire envolvement, but if that happened no one seemed to care that there was a little extra 'fuel' for the fire. ............... BC

Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Canedog

I ordered me some clear tires the other day and I am going to fill them with NEON, I use to work for a air seperation company and we compressed gasses so I still got some contacts. If I can figure out how them neon lights work and convert that to my tires that will be super cool. And you think of the crotch rocket people .....they will be all over that ....... might even make flashing tires ..... forget N2O tires its NEON for me!
Dog
Canedog,
You sure you not using any of that "nitrogen oxide" or laughing gas you took from that company ? hay, I hear too much of that stuff, will start hair growing on your chest ? be careful !!!! : - ))))
I can just imagine how your ride looks ???
Rife safe and good luck with the tires, Canedog
cj

Old 09-22-2007, 07:27 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Big Cholla

cj: Or as an alternative to the nitrogen, you could do like the old-time truckers did before all these onboard compressors and SCUBA tanks were available and use plain old Propane gas in their tires. It worked very well for all the same reasons you put forth for pure nitrogen. Plus every trucker I talked with about propane swore the tires filled with propane ran cooler than air filled tires. There was a slight downside in case of a crash with a fire envolvement, but if that happened no one seemed to care that there was a little extra 'fuel' for the fire. ............... BC
Thanks, Big Cholla,

I’ll just stick with the propane in my BBQ grill, I have enough trouble keeping the fires out in that : - )))

Ride safe,

cj

Old 09-22-2007, 07:40 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I stick with the best....

Nothing but 'approved and endorsed' official Harley Davidson Certified Air for me.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:51 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use nitrogen, but mine is only about 80%.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

[align=left]We are tied, ’72 Triumph Bonneville and no sportster could ever get around it.
Have you seen the new Triumphs? The Bonnie and the Scrambler are some fine looking machines. I think a Bonneville T100 will be my next bike purchase and I doubt a Sporty can get around it even today.
[/align]
...no serious vacuum was used on my tires, I also don’t tend to use absolute figures to figure either, but what is going in, is 100% of pure dry nitrogen, the small sum of oxygen that’s still in there is too small to measure in my book...

If you didn't pull a vacuum on the tires beforehand, you started with a tire full of air. This will only serve to dilute your nitrogen. Maybe one of the math whizzes out there can calculate the percentage of nitrogen you actually have in your tire when considering the interior volume of the tire, the purity of the gas you put in (industry-wide it's rarely 100% for nitrogen) and how much it was diluted by the existing volume of air that was in the tire when you began. You may find that the amount of nitrogen you're actually running hardly qualifies for debate.

ok, but no water vapor in any of them ?
None, zero, nada. Jacques Cousteau himself certified them H2O free.(At least in a measureable sense.)

2 to 3 times from March to Dec. to me a PIA, I usually find out there low in the middle of the corner and I don’t like that at all..
Agreed, but I ride year round and check my pressures monthly (which all should do regardless of what gas is in one's tires) and have to add a couple of psi every few months. Big difference for me is that my supply is free, and the PIA of adding air 2-3 times a year easily trumps paying for a non-essential gas.

..I am not irrelevant.
Never said you were.

The one item you didn’t bring up is wheel balancing, think any water in the tire could over the years have any impact ?
I didn't bring it up because it's not important within the context of this discussion. Unless you're pouring water straight into the tire I doubt you'll accumulate enough water vapor in there to condense into a puddle big enough to matter. Even if a substantial amount of water did get into the tire via the compressed air tank, liquid will seek out the lower/uneven parts of the tire, self-distribute via centrifugal force, and serve to improve balance as opposed to aggravating it. Such is the principle behind liquid balancing products such as Balance Plus.

One last word on this to all who brings up the "money thing", (not the reasons why you won’t use it), is it the chrome thing ? the chrome inter-primary "cover" ? chrome "covers" for your forks tubes ? etc., etc…always better to buy bright than functional ?
[color="#000000"]What you're missing is that the money thing is one of the main reasons why many won't use it. Who wants to pay for what can be had for free? You compare nitrogen to bling- bad comparison because with bling, one has a material object that enhances the look and/or value of their machine. It serves a purpose, if no other than to please the eye of the owner.
To many, including me, nitrogen would yield no return on the money invested. It doesn't add any resale value, it doesn't please the eye, it serves no critical function nor does it increase the safety of the machine, so for me there is no debate in regards to form vs. function. It

Old 09-22-2007, 08:00 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

To each his own. It might come in handy to have a tank of compressed air laying around during an extended power outage? Lotsafolks surely spend morecash on much more useless things. Personally, I could think of a lot better ways to spend the loot.

Quick Reply: Do you use Nitrogen in your tires ?