General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Math to consider when complaining about tech work pricing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:11 AM
camarotuner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Math to consider when complaining about tech work pricing.

I am tired of being yelled at about the price of getting work done on a bike or car. People yell scream and complain like a 5 year old who isn't getting the toy he wants. People bring crap in because they can't do it themselves. My dentist charges me an arm and a leg, I don't complain. I can't fix my own teeth. Same goes for my doctor and my lawyer. They provide services I require that I cannot do myself. A technician is no less of a skilled professional than these people. But the way people make it out to be I am just a no talent crook and anyone could be doing this. So in an effort to educate I would like to offer the following math as to why a tech charges 75+ an hour to work on your toys.

A brief overview of a part of the investment I have made in order to fix your crap
- 32,000 dollars for the basic education via a technical school
- another 5,000 in additional classes as well as certifications
- a 3,000 dollar tool chest measuring 6 foot high and 12 foot long to hold the damned tools
- roughly 15,000 to 20,000 on hand tools
- specialized equipment totalling about 10,000 dollars including welders, pipe benders, and general fabrication equipment

So that's about 60-70,000 dollars without turning a wrench. I don't know what the hell it costs to go to law school but I'm guessing I can't have spent much less than what they do.

So next time you get a nice big bill from the service guys, live with it. Now don't get me wrong there are some VERY shady shops out there. So watch your *** so you don't get burned. But alot of those charges are legit and the rate may be expensive but the alternative is worse.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Math to consider when complaining about tech work pricing.

i guess that sums it up....
pay $10 for a wrench,,,,,, get a $10 job done.

but , $650 for a chunk of plastic glued to my tooth??? come on!!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

So in an effort to educate I would like to offer the following math as to why a tech charges 75+ an hour to work on your toys.

Here's how the math looks to us so far: $75 an hour x 40 hours x 50 weeks = $150,000 annual income. Not bad.....Double your total investment in just one year.

Don't forget to add in your shop cost or rent, heat, accounting, etc, or people here will really "yell, scream and complain."

Old 10-13-2007, 09:25 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

better belong to a Union!!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:30 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm always willing to pay for the work of an experienced professional, and I've had nothing but *outstanding* service and support from my H-D dealer, who have yet to overcharge me for anything. I'm with ya, man.

For those of us who are professionals in other fields, how do you suggest we watch out for the "shady shops out there." I always go with a gut feeling that usually serves me well, but I'd be interested in your take.

(BTW, lawyer wannabes do spend $60-70K to go to law school---per year, after 4-5 years of undergrad school.)

Old 10-13-2007, 09:42 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

ORIGINAL: camarotuner
So in an effort to educate I would like to offer the following math as to why a tech charges 75+ an hour to work on your toys.
Try $90-100 dollars around here if your talking about an HD dealership.And guess where most of the money goes,into the dealership ownerspocket.
Lately not to impressed with the techs work either.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I like paying a guy 75 an hour to call my stuff " crap"

Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 AM
scoobs
Tourer

I guess I must not have had a "skilled technician" setting up my Road King when I bought it cuz I nearly lost a saddlebag on the ride home and all the fasteners involved with the detachable hardware were ALL only finger tight! So what did I pay for? Shoddy workmanship? Guess he/she must have been snoozing that day in school when they covered wrenches and torque values not to mention double checking their work.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 AM
bgr8ful
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Trock

I like paying a guy 75 an hour to call my stuff " crap"
Thats great!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: camarotuner

I am tired of being yelled at about the price of getting work done on a bike or car. People yell scream and complain like a 5 year old who isn't getting the toy he wants. People bring crap in because they can't do it themselves. My dentist charges me an arm and a leg, I don't complain. I can't fix my own teeth. Same goes for my doctor and my lawyer. They provide services I require that I cannot do myself. A technician is no less of a skilled professional than these people. But the way people make it out to be I am just a no talent crook and anyone could be doing this. So in an effort to educate I would like to offer the following math as to why a tech charges 75+ an hour to work on your toys.

A brief overview of a part of the investment I have made in order to fix your crap
- 32,000 dollars for the basic education via a technical school
- another 5,000 in additional classes as well as certifications
- a 3,000 dollar tool chest measuring 6 foot high and 12 foot long to hold the damned tools
- roughly 15,000 to 20,000 on hand tools
- specialized equipment totalling about 10,000 dollars including welders, pipe benders, and general fabrication equipment

So that's about 60-70,000 dollars without turning a wrench. I don't know what the hell it costs to go to law school but I'm guessing I can't have spent much less than what they do.

So next time you get a nice big bill from the service guys, live with it. Now don't get me wrong there are some VERY shady shops out there. So watch your *** so you don't get burned. But alot of those charges are legit and the rate may be expensive but the alternative is worse.
That is about the cost of just one year at a good law school.

Quick Reply: Math to consider when complaining about tech work pricing.