General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Owners Group..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Harley Owners Group..

You get a free membership when you buy a new Harley. Roadside pick up seems like a good thing, and I got one magazine so far which , to me anyway, wasn't very interesting. You also get a map of where every Harley dealer on the planet is located. But I'm not much of a joiner either, and when I happened to have been at dealer during a local HOG meeting and ride, everyone had vests with patches, and pirate bandanas to the point that they almost looked like they were in uniform. They did all seem like they were having a good time though. It's just not for me.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a member but I never ride in the group outings. I have went to a couple of state rallies but I thought they were lame so I didn't go this year. When you buy a new bike they give you a one year membership for free.

I personally do not think it is worth $45 a year unless you recover some of that money through the 10% discount but not all dealerships honor it. Oh, you also get a road atlas.

Of course last time I posted that I thought it was a ripoff some azz clown sent me an e-mail calling me a cheap SOB and telling me that he hoped I lost my job.[:@]

Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Deus Ex Machina
Cruiser

I belong, it does have it's pro's and con's. I have met some kewl people and had some good rides. What I have gotten out of it most, education. No matter who you are or where you have been you can always lean something from someone.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get a couple of ad-zines, a map book, and the opportunity to give Harley even more money through their overpriced rallys and road trips, and for the privilege of belonging. Save the money and take your S.O. to dinner.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kolni

No, I am not. And I see no reason to spend money on a group so I can ride with people I don't even know.

I have friends for that.
Are these "friends" 5 inches tall and made of plastic?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chopperz

ORIGINAL: Kolni

No, I am not. And I see no reason to spend money on a group so I can ride with people I don't even know.

I have friends for that.
Are these "friends" 5 inches tall and made of plastic?
12"

Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

The price isn't unreasonable,for what you get.The state rallies are lame,but it gives me a reason to ride out of town a few times a year.I enjoy the ride more than the events.And it's fun watching adults pretend their pirates! Or shriners!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Hudman
Novice

The main reason I belong to national HOG, isthe Fly-n-Ride program. $100 a day, fly to the city that participates and the first day is free if your early enough. We get there when the stealership opens, gone in 15 min. 4 days of riding for $300 OTD. Pays for itself every year. The wife and I enjoy flying to new cities once a year and seeing the sights for a few days. Get us away from the kids for a long weekend.

I also like the rags that come bi-monthly.

Never done anything organized with HOG, but wouldn't be opposed to it. Just doesn't fit in the schedule with 3 under seven. Also, Michigan doesn't have anything organized due to the helmet laws, unless you consider the Rendezvous in Ionia a HOG event.

I've found the only discounts available are for local chapters, and I'm not involved in that. Also, the road assistance sux. I waited for 4 hours at work until I called Progressive. They were there in 30 minutes.

Just my 2cents, I works well for me.

Hud

Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Bishop73
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my Nightster new, so I guess I get the first year free. As soon as my paperwork get here I'll check it out and see if it's for me, who knows.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnT

You get a couple of ad-zines, a map book, and the opportunity to give Harley even more money through their overpriced rallys and road trips, and for the privilege of belonging. Save the money and take your S.O. to dinner.
I agree. I got a year free whenI bought my Sporty used. All it got me was the above mentioned ad zines, map book and I even got to pay to go tothe NCHog Rally. I would have thought if you were a member you would get in free. [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Needless to say when the year membership ran out I didn't rejoin.

I go on a lot of charity runs and have no problem paying for them. I would rather my money go to the needy instead of the greedy. (Hopefully that's where my money is going and not into some jackasses pocket after the charity run)

Quick Reply: Harley Owners Group..