General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Owners Group..

Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley Owners Group..

ORIGINAL: Kolni

No, I am not. And I see no reason to spend money on a group so I can ride with people I don't even know.

I have friends for that.
Me too Kolni but I have met some great people who turned out to be good friends and a damn good wife! My take on HOG is just that, it's a great place to meet people, learn some good places to go and get tuned in on what other people do to thier bikes. I was a road captain and my wife was activities director for awhile.

You could join a lot worse groups, after all you have something major in common, you just spend a bunch of change on a Harley. Much like this forum, you will learn something from everyone. There are good people and idiots.

I belong now but don't like group rides as much due to the lack of experience of some riders in that situation BUT if you are single, new to Harleys, new to an area or just want to learn some new places to go it's ready made for you. No one asks you to do anything you don't want and if you think it's a bunch of milk drinkers then no one is keeping you from going your own way.

Like most things - check it out, you may love it or hate it but don't take my word or anyone elses, go to a few events. I used to enjoy a few dinner rides, blood runs and other charity events. Give it a shot before writing it off. If I had never gone, I would still be in some bar talking about my X wife instead of riding with my current one.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Punisher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been a member when it's free. Everytime I buy a bike I get a year. I've only used the discount a few times, and the map books are pretty good. Other than that, I've never gone to a HOG rally or event. Thats just me. I like to ride alone, or with my wife, or with a couple of my friends. Thats it.

Woody

Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kolni

No, I am not. And I see no reason to spend money on a group so I can ride with people I don't even know.

I have friends for that.
There's ALOT more to it than that!

Actually there are two parts to the HOG membership, the national membership (comes with the bike, $45 annually after that), and the local membership. The national membership getsyou the Fly 'N Ride program ($100/day with full coverage for a touring bike), the towing package (which a friend just had to use on our ride yesterday! $100 less than he would've had to pay for towing w/o it!), and other smaller things (at least in my opinion). The local membership is where you can go and meet up and possibly make new friends (as Kolni puts it, kindof reminds me of joining a fraternity sometimes). The local ones are sponsored by a local dealership, I think we have 6 local HOG groups in Phoenix. Some might offer a discount, that varies per dealership.

Personally the Fly 'N Ride is worth it to me annually! (I'm with Hudman on this one) You figure the average cost of a touring bike rental, after insurance, is close to $180 ($150 for the rental, plus insurance and such). So just 1 days rental on the Fly program pays for it, and then some! And like I said, a guy riding with us yesterday broke down (05 FLHT just like mine actually, little freaky!), and The total cost of towing was $400, but HOG will pay for $100 of that.

I've never joined a local group, but always renew the national. It's kindof like the AAA for motorcycles.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I'm a national and local member. I renew the national for the $20 towing insurance. I breakdown in the middle of nowhere and it pays for itself. Hell, even with NO breakdowns, the peace of mind is worth $20. Otherwise, the Enthusiast and Hog Tales magazine make good bathroom reading material.

I don't ride with my local HOG (Dallas HOG). I find them to be snobby and cliquish. I renew my membership because they support some local charities. I guess I could just send my $20 to the charity directly, but what the hell...

Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ccmd2b

So are all you guys members of the Harley Owners Group? Just wondering what the general opinion was regarding the membership and what it can offer.

Thanks,
CC

CC, I like being a member of HOG, no I am not a member of a local chapter, but I like the fact I can get towing (if needed) for $20 a year and the USA map showing dealers in every state is pretty good, my number is 16,*** I been a member since the beginning and took a deal about 5 years into it I paid a flat fee and am a life member, hay the pins and patches are nice : - ) and if you going traveling on business or vacation without your ride you can rent one much easier.

cj

Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,825 Likes on 8,403 Posts

I joined the local HOG chapter but it just seemed to well established by the good ole boys group. Tryin to breakin and meet was pretty difficult so I quit making the meetings and occasional runs that I could. Also, as mentioned in a previous post, they push safety a bit more than I really care to listen to. Yeah, I know, there are new riders in the group, but hey, I still have to listen to it each and every ride. The ride groups are broken up into small groups of five or six so we don't interfer with cage traffic, as if we don't really belong on the highways.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

It's kindof like the AAA for motorcycles.
Except you can add motorcycle coverage (and it's better coverage to your AAA for for less than the HOG fee.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Wldtat
Cruiser

I'm both a national and a local member, and unlike some experiences here it has been a good match for me. I've met a few really good people, and a lot of aquaintances. As I've heard said before, you get out of it what you put into it, and it works for me.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 PM
grooveman
Road Captain

I have no plans to re-up.. Only joined because it was free other than that never participated in any events because they do everything on the weekend and I work most weekends, and the nearest chapter is 100 miles away.. As far as the roadside service I never had to use it thankfully and being up here in the sticks of Montana I can just imagine how far they would have to come to get me, if they showed up at all.. I like the magazine tho.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

Take the free one, but not worth paying to keep it going.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley Owners Group..