General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service manual lack of information.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Service manual lack of information.

I have the 2005 Softail service manual and just discovered something odd.I couldn't findany callouts for what size Torx wrenches, to use for basic maintenance. No problem finding the torque value of the bolts.
I am getting ready to do my 5,000 mile service and was checking to see if I had everything I needed. I looked in the manual to see what size Torx was required, for removing the primary chain inspection cover. I couldn't find it anywhere. My #25 Torx fit a bit loose, so I did a search on here and found out I needed a #27. There isn't that much difference in the 2 sizes, just enough that I could of stripped out the bolt head.
Anyone knowwhy the manual doesn't state what size Torx is required.
Tom

Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Service manual lack of information.

Dunno, but you'll need a 5/8" socket for the oil drain plug. I don't remember what size hex you need for the primary drain, but I'll bet someone else does. Have fun.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:20 PM
mrbadlands
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe there has been any service manual, repair manual, or maintenance manual I have been able to look at that told you what size tools to use. I have dealt with small mechanical items that had a small manual up to Helicopters 15Million and you couldn't pick up all the paper manuals.

It may be a situation that if they told you what size torx to use and it was wrong due to someone else changing to a different size, they'd be opening themselves up for litigation, or at the least a headache from some whiney person.

Don't be mad because they left out the torx bit sizes, I am sure they think that you bought a manual and you should have a certain level of intelligence.

Mrbadlands

Old 11-17-2007, 03:44 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

I have the 2005 Softail service manual and just discovered something odd.I couldn't findany callouts for what size Torx wrenches, to use for basic maintenance. No problem finding the torque value of the bolts.
I am getting ready to do my 5,000 mile service and was checking to see if I had everything I needed. I looked in the manual to see what size Torx was required, for removing the primary chain inspection cover. I couldn't find it anywhere. My #25 Torx fit a bit loose, so I did a search on here and found out I needed a #27. There isn't that much difference in the 2 sizes, just enough that I could of stripped out the bolt head.
Anyone knowwhy the manual doesn't state what size Torx is required.
Tom
I don't know why your '05manual doesn't give that info but my HD'06 Touring Service Manual gives that information.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior

That's a good looking bike! On the Torx, get the set.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:31 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Amodump001,
I have a set of 7 Torx bits I got from Sears, last year. It goes from a T-15 to a T-50. It has a T-25 then the next size is a T-30. I went out today and got a T-27 from Auto Zone. I may not need any more sizes, butif I run into a bolt that my Torx bitsdon't fit, I willask on the forum, rather then try to guess which size it is and go buy one. I will have to do a computer search to see how many different sizes there are between the T-15 and the T-50. With normal nuts and bolts it is pretty easy to guess the approximate size and if I'm wrong I just go up or down a size,since I have a complete set of sockets and wrenches. I can't eyeball a Torx and guess roughly what size it is.

Oldfartjc,
Where in your touring manual do they call out the Torx size? You would think it would also be in my Softail manual ?
Tom

Old 11-17-2007, 06:03 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

Amodump001,
I have a set of 7 Torx bits I got from Sears, last year. It goes from a T-15 to a T-50. It has a T-25 then the next size is a T-30. I went out today and got a T-27 from Auto Zone. I may not need any more sizes, butif I run into a bolt that my Torx bitsdon't fit, I willask on the forum, rather then try to guess which size it is and go buy one. I will have to do a computer search to see how many different sizes there are between the T-15 and the T-50. With normal nuts and bolts it is pretty easy to guess the approximate size and if I'm wrong I just go up or down a size,since I have a complete set of sockets and wrenches. I can't eyeball a Torx and guess roughly what size it is.

Oldfartjc,
Where in your touring manual do they call out the Torx size? You would think it would also be in my Softail manual ?
Tom
I just looked in my '06 Touring Service Manual and as far as I can see everyplace there is a Torx screwthey call off the size of the Torx bit to use and torque values. It calls the Torxbit size out in the maintenance section and every where else in the manual where there is a Torx screw. I bought a set at Harbor Freight that has 9 bits and all sizes, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27 in 1/4" drive and T30, T40, T45, T50 in 3/8" drive. You would think it would be the same in the '05 Softail manual.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

[/quote]
I just looked in my '06 Touring Service Manual and as far as I can see everyplace there is a Torx screwthey call off the size of the Torx bit to use and torque values. It calls the Torxbit size out in the maintenance section and every where else in the manual where there is a Torx screw. I bought a set at Harbor Freight that has 9 bits and all sizes, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27 in 1/4" drive and T30, T40, T45, T50 in 3/8" drive. You would think it would be the same in the '05 Softail manual.
[/quote]

The only Torx bit I don't have now, that you have, is the T-10. I looked again in the periodic maintenance section, where they go into detail,describing removing the primary chain and the clutch inspection cover and the torque values. There is no callout for Torx size. A while back, I had looked up to see what was involved in switching out the handlebars. The book stated which size Torx bits to use in removing the switches, etc. That is why it seemed odd that they wouldn't call out the size Torx bits, required for thenormal maintenance.
Tom

Tom